Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Cracked Winshield

So I went out today and everything was good. I get back in my car to go home and I find this.

There is no dent where a rock would have hit it, and I'm thinking it was from heat. Anyone else had this problem on their maro's or TAs? I find it strange that it's cracked without any visible cause.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have had windshields split before with no prior damage. Like you said it is usually with temperature extremes. The windshield in my Ford Ranger split on a really cold winter day a few months ago.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

It sucks man. I think my insurance will cover it if I say a rock from a truck hit it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I think I had to pay a $50 deductible. Two months after I got it fixed, I ended up with a large stone chip right smack in the middle of the new windshield. Sometimes it is a losing battle.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I think I had to pay a $50 deductible. Two months after I got it fixed, I ended up with a large stone chip right smack in the middle of the new windshield. Sometimes it is a losing battle.
    Bad luck. That sucks.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Body flex could be the culprit. Do you have SFC's?
    If bolt in, are they tight? If weld in, have they broken loose somewhere?
    I believe your insurance company will handle it no matter what the reason. You pay the deductable & you're good to go.
    Call & ask for the straight dope.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

That sucks bro.

Someone I think shot my car with a 410 shotgun at some point. I have THREE very very very small lead pellets inbedding in the winshield. They arent cracking yet..

When you get a replacement post of pics. Im worried of even worse t-top leaks/fitment/other leaks

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Body flex could be the culprit. Do you have SFC's?
    If bolt in, are they tight? If weld in, have they broken loose somewhere?
    I believe your insurance company will handle it no matter what the reason. You pay the deductable & you're good to go.
    Call & ask for the straight dope.
    I was wondering if that was possible, hypothetically. I do not beat on my car at all, though. MAYBE once a month I'll push the pedal all the way down just for that sound, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    That sucks bro.

Someone I think shot my car with a 410 shotgun at some point. I have THREE very very very small lead pellets inbedding in the winshield. They arent cracking yet..

When you get a replacement post of pics. Im worried of even worse t-top leaks/fitment/other leaks
    Yeah I'm going to be getting it replaced sometime within the next few days. I've got a drive to Atlanta coming up here in a couple weeks.

red black
    98Z28

I had to replace mine on the 98Z, do not raise hood with wipers raised from window!!!!!
    Let the soldiers who were doing a car wash to raise money wash it and while waiting to dry was asked about the LS1 , so I poped the hood big mistake. Local glass shop replaced for just under $250. Don't have the t-tops but fit was great with no problems. Took only a half day. Adhisive smelled for a couple of days but then everything was ok.

Had mine replaced back in '02 as it was warped from the factory. It was like looking through a fun house mirror. Local glass replacement company did the job. no problems with it... leaks or otherwise.

Brian
    '02 Camaro SS Convertible: The Garage...
    September, 2007 COTM

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSport View Post
    Had mine replaced back in '02 as it was warped from the factory. It was like looking through a fun house mirror. Local glass replacement company did the job. no problems with it... leaks or otherwise.
    Yeah my insurance is going to cover it, just waiting on them to call me back. Funny you say that about the fun house mirror because when I first test drove the car I was like, huh, is this a prescription windshield? Haha. I eventually got used to it, so maybe that contributes to its cracking.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Curious..........do you have a shock tower brace? I've heard the the 3 point braces can put too much stress on the cowl area causing a windshield crack in the 4th gens............

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by fxgs View Post
    Curious..........do you have a shock tower brace? I've heard the the 3 point braces can put too much stress on the cowl area causing a windshield crack in the 4th gens............
    I've got a 2 point. I'm pretty sure it's from the heat. I wash my car all the time, and I'm thinking hypothesizing there was a barely visible dent near the edge, and I probably sprayed it with cold water and blah blah blah.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

This thread hits close to home with me. I had someone throw a rock at my car, cracking the windshield. I baby the shit out of my car and it kills me when people do stupid shit like that! I got it replaced that same week and have no issues with the t-tops or anything else. Molding trim looks immaculate. They did an awesome replacement job!

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    This thread hits close to home with me. I had someone throw a rock at my car, cracking the windshield. I baby the shit out of my car and it kills me when people do stupid shit like that! I got it replaced that same week and have no issues with the t-tops or anything else. Molding trim looks immaculate. They did an awesome replacement job!
    Yeah I know what you mean. I try to keep my tip top shape for an almost DD. I'm excited to hear that they did a good job, too. Makes me feel better about the replacement coming up this week.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by levityinc3 View Post
    Yeah I know what you mean. I try to keep my tip top shape for an almost DD. I'm excited to hear that they did a good job, too. Makes me feel better about the replacement coming up this week.
    Yeah. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Thread Information