Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Could it be the cat?

My car still missfires and I dont know whats wrong. It only does it once it warmed and up to operating temp, so could it be my cat? The code that comes up is random missfire and catalyst efficiancy below threshold. I found out my passanger side cat is gutted out so thats whats causing the code. Could a bad cat also cause a missfire. If i getta new cat will it go away? If it doesnt im gonna change EGR and fuel filter and see if that works. Gear chatter said it has something to do with the crankshaft sensor, so i really hope its nothing major.

green
    98 formula

just an idea........ check the coil packs some ignition parts fail when they are warmed up I could be way off but thats what comes to mind first for me

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by joejenkinsglass View Post
    just an idea........ check the coil packs some ignition parts fail when they are warmed up I could be way off but thats what comes to mind first for me
    already did, and its all good. A while back I took it to my friends shop and put it on the lift. Came to find out that i needed a new water pump. I thought coolant got into a few places it wasnt suppose to and was causing this. Turns out it wasnt, but it only does it once the car comes up to temp

Check the plugs....i had a 95 metro did the same thing...turned out to be plugs....and it turned out i was runnin on 2 cylinders instead of 3...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I agree, plugs are the most likely culprit.

Thread Information