Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Cooling system flush question

Ok so I got everything I need for the flush that I'm going to do this week. I'm doing it the way that Pajeff02 told me. Drain the radiator, pop the tstat out off the housing and put the housing back. pull the drain plugs on the block. Put plugs back and refill with water. Run for like a few minutes. When is cool enough drain everything again and repeat process until the water comes out clean. Put Tstat back and refill. I'm removing the hose that comes out of the block (the TB bypass one) to make sure I get rid of any air.

I have a few questions before I start. Does this work for sealing the drain plugs after I'm done with the flush? I think is paste teflon. Or should I just use regular teflon tape?

Is it okay to use the prediluted stuff to fill the system? Is 2 gallons enough to top it off?

I'm guessing is a good idea to cover the alternator when im draining the plug next it. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 01-31-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The thread paste should work fine. Remember, that when you use it the paste also acts as a thread lubricant. Be careful not to overtighten the fitting and strip something in the process. You are playing with brass and aluminum -- both soft metals.

I think it's a waste to buy the pre-mix as the price simply does not justify it. You are basically buying a half gallon of coolant and water for about the same price as a gallon of coolant. You will also want to flush out your coolant overflow tank as well.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

It's just hard to find distelled water. Where do you get it at? I have to take out the overflow tank to clean it right? Thanks for the quick reply.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    It's just hard to find distelled water. Where do you get it at? I have to take out the overflow tank to clean it right? Thanks for the quick reply.
    You can purchase distilled water at any grocery store, Vons, Stater Brothers etc, at a very reasonable price. The store brands are sometimes down to 89 cents a gallon, and walmart sells their brand for 69 cents.

SteveC

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This. The overflow tank is easy to pull. I dumped it, partially filled it with tap water, and then shook the hell out of it. Did this several times to remove as much of the gunk as I could.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    You can purchase distilled water at any grocery store, Vons, Stater Brothers etc, at a very reasonable price. The store brands are sometimes down to 89 cents a gallon, and walmart sells their brand for 69 cents.

SteveC
    Are you talking about the gallon of drinking water? Then I had been confused. lol. I'll see if I can return this stuff then. So I need one gallon of regular antifreeze and one gallon of distilled water, right?
    Last edited by JayTA98; 01-22-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Are you talking about the gallon of drinking water? Then I had been confused. lol. I'll see if I can return this stuff then. So I need one gallon of regular antifreeze and one gallon of distilled water, right?
    It may be in the same shelf area, but you don't want 'drinking water'.
    Should be marked specifically 'distilled water'.
    Might be right next to it, ..., might also be in the laundry/cleaning supplies area.

If you've already bought two gallons of the pre-mixed, ..., how much fuel/time are you going to waste going back for something different?!?
    Just use it, ...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacFan View Post
    It may be in the same shelf area, but you don't want 'drinking water'.
    Should be marked specifically 'distilled water'.
    Might be right next to it, ..., might also be in the laundry/cleaning supplies area.

If you've already bought two gallons of the pre-mixed, ..., how much fuel/time are you going to waste going back for something different?!?
    Just use it, ...
    Actually the place is like 10mins from my house. By return it and getting the distilled water and one gallon of coolant i saved $6. Got to save money for other stuff.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Actually the place is like 10mins from my house. By return it and getting the distilled water and one gallon of coolant i saved $6. Got to save money for other stuff.

Good man. I chewed my brother's ass for buying the pre-mix stuff several weeks ago.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Good man. I chewed my brother's ass for buying the pre-mix stuff several weeks ago.
    Thanks for telling me Pajeff.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I am gonna be doing this soon. I am subscribed. And what thermostat and gasket ? do I need. I hear everyone talking about 160* stats. I live in AZ. And I am gonna have frost tune it this summer. Help me out here? And can't you just let tap water sit for 24 hours and it is distilled?

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    I am gonna be doing this soon. I am subscribed. And what thermostat and gasket ? do I need. I hear everyone talking about 160* stats. I live in AZ. And I am gonna have frost tune it this summer. Help me out here? And can't you just let tap water sit for 24 hours and it is distilled?
    I would get a 180 t-stat. The chlorine in tap goes away if you leave it out, but all the nice dirt and minerals will go into your engine. Distilled is at any grocery store for very little money

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Anything other than the stock thermostat requires the fans to be reprogrammed for it to have any real effect. I also went with a 180 degree thermostat in ours. On the scanner, the engine stays between 183 and 194 degrees for the most part. Once, on a real hot day with the AC blazing in standstill traffic, I saw a max of 205.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

So I need one gallon of regular antifreeze and one gallon of distilled water, right?
    You need 1 gallon of "Orange" antifreeze "Dexcool", and 1 gallon of "distilled" water, DO NOT GET THE "GREEN COOLANT" it is too corrosive on aluminum radiators in the long run.

SteveC

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The green vs. orange issue has been debated to death on here. Both have staunch advocates. In reality, the concerns with Dexcool were from when it was first introduced and these have long since been remedied. I am comfortable putting either coolant in our vehicles. Just one cardinal rule -- DO NOT MIX THEM. If you are changing from one to the other, you need to perform a thorough flushing of the entire cooling system. This includes the overflow bottle, heater core and block drains.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The green vs. orange issue has been debated to death on here. Both have staunch advocates. In reality, the concerns with Dexcool were from when it was first introduced and these have long since been remedied. I am comfortable putting either coolant in our vehicles. Just one cardinal rule -- DO NOT MIX THEM. If you are changing from one to the other, you need to perform a thorough flushing of the entire cooling system. This includes the overflow bottle, heater core and block drains.
    So if im changing to green stuff is better to get the 50/50 diluted stuff? or if i do the flush like you recommend can i then use regular green stuff with distelled water? I'm trying to get away from dexcool but if its going to cause issues of mixing then ill stick with dexcool. I change my coolant every year.
    I'm planning on doing this today. So let me know plz. Also should I change the radiator hoses? I mean they look fine but I know they are old.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

If you are going to change coolants. Flush the crap out of your cooling system. Make damn sure not one drop of the "other" coolant remains. Mixing different types of coolants is a bad bad thing as they have totally different add packs/chemicals and they do not play well together at all. My recommendation is stay with DexCool as it is formulated per GM engineers specs specific and you gain nothing with going green or yellow. Nothing. I have run DexCool for a kazillion miles with no negative effects. I maintain my rides cooling systems and am on top of any leaks or defective system componenets....as we all should.

Be proactive with the hoses and belts. Why wait until your out in the middle of HooterVille and one blows/breaks. Be proactive.

As mentioned.....if you adjust your thermostat to other "open at" temp ranges....adjust your fans also.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    If you are going to change coolants. Flush the crap out of your cooling system. Make damn sure not one drop of the "other" coolant remains. Mixing different types of coolants is a bad bad thing as they have totally different add packs/chemicals and they do not play well together at all. My recommendation is stay with DexCool as it is formulated per GM engineers specs specific and you gain nothing with going green or yellow. Nothing. I have run DexCool for a kazillion miles with no negative effects. I maintain my rides cooling systems and am on top of any leaks or defective system componenets....as we all should.

Be proactive with the hoses and belts. Why wait until your out in the middle of HooterVille and one blows/breaks. Be proactive.

As mentioned.....if you adjust your thermostat to other "open at" temp ranges....adjust your fans also.
    The tsat was changed with a 180 like 6 months ago. I will get the gallon of dexcool to be on the safe side. I can't agree more with been proactive I just heard of autoparts hoses been crap and cracking easier than stock ones. But I always maintain my stuff. Since im draining all this stuff out I figure why go thru all that when the hose breaks in a week or so. that will be extra work. Ill go get them today from auto zone. thanks for the advise Sarge.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Okay the only stuff I find is prestone dexcool approved stuff. Will that work?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I think that is what I ended up with -- it was marked "GM Approved" as I recall. Interestingly, our local GM dealership did not have any Dexcool in stock and would not order it unless I purchased the entire case.

Thread Information