Thread: cooling

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

cooling

maybe someone can help me with this i put the 160 thermostat in but it doesn't do anything my car still runs around 195 i want to buy a new relay setup for my fan to be able to adjust it to come on at 160 do i have a radiator prob or a thread in i don't know the diff between the two what else can i do to run around 160 as it is if i idle more then twenty min's with AC on i'll over heat

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Sounds like you might still have some air in the system if your overheating. Even untuned, mine wouldn't heat up.

After I put my thermo in, I got the fans tuned to come on at a different time.

Here's what frost told me from the tune.

Your car had fan temps lowered. Even with the 160 stat, the car will still run around 190-something at cruise and we don't want to wear out the fans if they aren't helping. Low set on at 194, off at 188 and the high fan comes on around 204 (stock is 235).

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

how can i get the fan tuned to come on lower

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

My tuner did the same for me. I dunno what the setting is though.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    how can i get the fan tuned to come on lower
    you'll have to get the car tuned and adjust the fans. The 160 is just when the t-stat opens.....the fans are what controls where the car runs at temp wise for the most part.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you'll have to get the car tuned and adjust the fans. The 160 is just when the t-stat opens.....the fans are what controls where the car runs at temp wise for the most part.
    ya but where can i go is that a dealer thing to get it tuned or a speed shop thing?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

A professional tuner, mail order tune, or a hand held programmer will all work to reset the fan temps.

white

maybe someone can help me with this i put the 160 thermostat in but it doesn't do anything my car still runs around 195 i want to buy a new relay setup for my fan to be able to adjust it to come on at 160 do i have a radiator prob or a thread in i don't know the diff between the two what else can i do to run around 160 as it is if i idle more then twenty min's with AC on i'll over heat
    exactly the only thing about 160 thermo keeps ur car cool at high speeds(45 miles and up) when is more air flowin trhu the radiator but at regular iddle keeps the engine at normal temp 210f also helps prevent detonation, if u want to run ur car no more then 160degrees?? i recommend a electric water pump but no good idea for the winter wich u proly don't drive it anyway make sure to calibrate ur radi, get all the air out..

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

There are certainly tuners in your area, look through the list of sponsors etc.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by TOMASINO View Post
    exactly the only thing about 160 thermo keeps ur car cool at high speeds(45 miles and up) when is more air flowin trhu the radiator but at regular iddle keeps the engine at normal temp 210f also helps prevent detonation, if u want to run ur car no more then 160degrees?? i recommend a electric water pump but no good idea for the winter wich u proly don't drive it anyway make sure to calibrate ur radi, get all the air out..
    What is detonation? And is there a Ewater pump you would recommend I have been told they don't last long?

And this car will never see snow

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Detonation -- otherwise known as spark knock -- is the result of pre-ignition in the combustion chamber. This means the piston is still trying to come up in the bore when the mixture lights off pre-maturely and causes the rattle you hear.

Detonation is bad for an engine. An LS1, and most other modern engines, have knock sensors that pull timing to protect the engine. It can be caused by the use of low octane fuel, improper timing, and carboned up combustion chambers to name a few.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you have a few options as far as tuning. I'm sure you have someone semi-local or local to you that tunes. A handheld tuner is also an option. I would recommend a mail order tune from Frost as he does a lot of them and people are extremely happy with their tunes afterwards. I think he's still only charging $125 for a tune which is a good deal. Do you have any other mods planned for the near future? If so it might be best to wait until you have them done and then get the tune.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

You need a accurate way to read the temp. first because the gage will not show you the change because it's dumbed down to not show much movement. If you are overheating you have a fan issue not turning on, my 00'
    SS reads about 177 on a scanner while driving with my 160 installed so it will operate 10-15 cooler but my gage looks the same and I have not programmed any fan changes yet.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    You need a accurate way to read the temp. first because the gage will not show you the change because it's dumbed down to not show much movement. If you are overheating you have a fan issue not turning on, my 00'
    SS reads about 177 on a scanner while driving with my 160 installed so it will operate 10-15 cooler but my gage looks the same and I have not programmed any fan changes yet.

Same here -- I have the 180 degree thermostat and on a scanner the car runs 183 to 194 depending upon engine load. The dash gauge reads a steady 205 no matter what.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Yes, the original stat/housing design for the 160 can never really run that low, about 175-180 while moving is as good as it gets for all brands. That is why there is no worry about using a 160, it is really a 177 and resetting the fans program is the only way to control the temp. when not moving (or the manual switch).

white

What is detonation? And is there a Ewater pump you would recommend I have been told they don't last long?

And this car will never see snow
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Meziere/680/WP119S/10002/-1

they not cheap tho but they do the job...

Thread Information