Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    98inportkillerta

coolant problem!!!!

I need some help bad. For a few months now I have been having a problem with my coolant system.
    Here’s what I have going on.
    During "normal" driving I never have the problem, but if I get on it my coolant light always comes on to tell me im low on coolant. This happens so fast its ridiculous.
    Ill open the hood and it’s always the same problem. The coolant overflows from my coolant overflow reservoir all over the place.
    So here is what I already did to try and fix the issue.
    Replaced the cap for the reservoir, replaced the radiator cap, repaired a possible leak on the water pump, replaced the thermostat, and had a compression test on the engine... but that says there is no head leak. A test was also done to check for any combustion gases in with my coolant, and nothing.
    What could be the problem? anyone able to help?????
    If not who wants to buy a TA? Im feed up
    Thanks for any help

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Sounds like your getting air in your coolant system some how man....how did you/the shop flush the coolant when this work was done? What you describe is an air bubble burping.....have you ran it with no thermostat at all and see if the problem persist?

98inportkillerta
    Thats why i fixed the leak on the water pump, cause of possible air leak there. But now its still doing it. I didnt flush the coolant system at all when I did the work.
    What will running it with no thermostat do?

99PontTA
    ok ..how many miles on this car? I can tell you EXACtly whats going on ....its overheating.This boils the coolant and boiling coolant expanding pushing out into the coolant recovery tank out the vented lid.Now lets discuss the possible causes,partially blocked radiator,lower rad hose colapsing under a load from old age,water pump drive belt slipping,blocked air flow to the radiator<that is a big one>if the car has 100k or more its very possible all kinds of crap has accumulated in fins and space between the AC condensor and radiator.
    I'll give you an example of what can happen...guy with a 90 z28 calls up asking what could be wrong with his car ,Same symtoms as yers.He has replaced the colant,radiator,belts,hoses...still overheats and pushes the coolant out everytime he gets on it.I ask him if they checked the AC condensor for blockage...NOPE....he calls back next day.They pulled the rad and carefully checked the condensor...it was completely blocked with all kinds of debris.Also paper in frt of it.Its gotta be clean enough so air flows easily through it. Start there.

98inportkillerta
    I have just over 37,000 miles on it. So it might be all clogged in the radiator? or hose? Should I just flush the entire system and start from there?
    The belt is new also, so I dont think it will be slipping.
    I want to start thanking everyone thats going to help me out and keeping me sane. I want to like my car again.

99PontTA
    look inside the rad...is it perfectly clean and clear? or is it nasty brown looking...also check for air flow over the rad-condensor just get under there and look around...be sure there is no debris or paper leaves etc cloging the air flow.

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

I kinda have a similar problem...just flushed it myself today. I decided to put Dex-Cool in because I hear its safer on the aluminum engines. Mine does have a little of the gunk in the radiator, but it doesnt overheat. I have on a few occasions in the past gotten the low coolant light, but the engine doesnt seem to be leaking any coolant. I plan to do a compression test soon to check and see if there is a head gasket leaking...would give me a great excuse to pull heads and replace them with something!

98inportkillerta
    Ok I just finished draining the system, I looked in the rad, its clear, the hose is clear. all looks good. How do I know if its not my pump, is there anything that could be wrong with it? how long should it take to get all the air out of the system? and should I drive it "nice" until i know the system is free of air?

wow all this just for coolant.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Check the lower air dam under the core support for the radiator. Many an f-body has been driven into a parking block or bottomed out at one time or another, and it doesn't take much to damage the air dam. If it is not rigid enough to block the flow of air under the core support, it cannot create a high pressure area in front of the condenser and radiator.

At low speeds and low demand on the cooling system, the electric fan and/or road speed provide enough air flow. Otherwise, at higher speeds and heavy throttle, a damaged (or missing) air dam can be a significant factor in managing the cooling airflow.

Others also gave great suggestions, but just something else that hasn't been mentioned.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

98inportkillerta
    I checked the air dam, all looks good with it. I think there is plenty of air flow going over the rad. I dont even have an A/C condensor there any longer.
    I drove the car nice today... no high speed or RPM. The coolant got low, from what im thinking its just filling the rest of the system. But ill see what happens.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I have the same prob...and I can't run the motor with the rad cap off, it spews out for some reason. Damn rain won't stop so I can go work on her

Hey 98 - are you sure the high speed fans are coming on?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by 98inportkillerta
    Ok I just finished draining the system, I looked in the rad, its clear, the hose is clear. all looks good. How do I know if its not my pump, is there anything that could be wrong with it? how long should it take to get all the air out of the system? and should I drive it "nice" until i know the system is free of air?

wow all this just for coolant.
    Sounds like you have trapped air.
    Follow the fill intructions in this link and you should be good to go.
    Read carefully.
    Start at #13.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ostat_swap.htm

98inportkillerta
    well I tried the top throttle body hose, ill see if that works. Man I hope theres no air in this thing

98inportkillerta
    well it happened again, the light came on and i was low on coolant again. it went almost two days, but when i "got on it" there was the light right after.
    Car for sale. anyone interested. look in the car for sale area....

99PontTA
    don't give up yet...you are overheating for some reason...you will find it even if you need to let a pro find it for you.When you fail TRY HARDER UNTIL YOU succeed!There has to be a logical explaination to your problem.....just very hard to help online...too many things that you maybe overlooking or we might miss.When you get on it hard what happens is you generate a huge amount of heat in the engine.Normally the coolant would move enough heat away from the engine to the radiator to keep the coolant from boiling.For some reason this is not happening in your engine....you need to figure out why.It seems like the logical things to look for are ....thermostate,is it opening completely? Flow,does the coolant flow freely when the engine is hot through the radiator? Air,good air flow to and through the radiator?hoses,does the lower rad hose stay open when you rev the engine hot?coolant condition.....IS IT MIXED PROPERLY 50/50????? these are basic thing to consider.KEEP LOOKING!

onmo thing i just popped into my mind i saw once......someone got a piece of plastic inside the rad and it was blocking the water pump inlet.....maybe something has accidentally gotten into your cooling system by a sloppy repaiur shop or otherwise...it maybe some to consider.
    Last edited by 99PontTA; 01-04-2006 at 05:38 PM.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by 99PontTA
    don't give up !There has to be a logical explaination to your problem.....just very hard to help online...too many things that you maybe overlooking or we might miss.
    someone got a piece of plastic inside the rad and it was blocking the water pump inlet.....maybe something has accidentally gotten into your cooling system by a sloppy repaiur shop or otherwise...it maybe some to consider.
    Seen that before too, but the age of the hoses is a question in my mind as you stated earlier.
    Had them collapse internally before. Looked fine on the outside, but I could feel the hose with my thumb and find a soft spot where the rubber had separated.
    It flowed fine for normal driving, but if would get on it, it would cause a partial block inside the hose.

A sticking thermostat could also do the same, but you say it's new.
    If there is no yellow gunk on the oil filler cap, or no oil in the coolant that would eliminate a head gasket. No gases in the coolant as you mentioned.

I'm still thinking an air bubble somewhere.
    Might want to drain a refill according to the procedure I gave you in that link. Refill SLOWLY while purging the air. That's important.
    Last edited by rbob93; 01-05-2006 at 08:15 AM.

98inportkillerta
    I will check the hose to see if it is crap or not, and ill drain the entire system again and start over. How much fluid is the correct amount for the system?

Thank you guys for keeping me trying... ill let you know the out come soon

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by 98inportkillerta
    I will check the hose to see if it is crap or not, and ill drain the entire system again and start over. How much fluid is the correct amount for the system?

Thank you guys for keeping me trying... ill let you know the out come soon
    Right at 12 quarts if you drain the entire system & the block too.
    (I think it's 11.2 for manual trans & 11.1 for an auto)

Follow the intructions in the link and go slow.

LT4Vette
    Did this problem occur after you did heads and cam? Was a leak down test performed on each cylinder?

Thread Information