silver
    2000 formula

Comp Cams Trunion Ungrade

just put mine in today !!! woo hoo!!!

I cant add much more to how to install than this vid........but I can say.......if you have not done it yet .............DO IT NOW !!!

the cheapness of the stock assembly makes me wonder how I had not been victim of the the infamous roller bearings in the oil pan disaster

the slop in the stock arms was also cause for noise........the first thing my son said to me after we got done was......no more ticking noise dad ! and you know...........he was right

now be sure to get NEW valve cover gaskets .......these re useable gaskets just dont hold up well to lots of miles and a long life is not what they last...........and BE SURE to get NEW valve cover bolt grommets........the stockers were toast and were actually leaking at the bolts ........i got fel pro P/N ES72233.......and get more than ONE SET...........they are tough to get on and i split a few

i do not have a drill press like he uses in the vid so i got a 1/2 ton arbor press from harbor freight..............with a 20% coupon i had it was not expensive at all

git r dun and have peace of mind !!!

oh....and thats UPgrade..not UNgrade
    Last edited by sjsingle1; 12-23-2012 at 10:47 PM.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Why not just replace the stock units with an aftermarket set that is race grade, and be done with it?

SteveC

I never was interested enough to look into the trunion upgrade on stock rockers but I assume it's a relatively inexpensive fix for those that want to keep them?

I went the aftermarket rocker arm route, simply because I prefer adjustable valvetrain to set my own lifter preload.

silver
    2000 formula

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Why not just replace the stock units with an aftermarket set that is race grade, and be done with it?

SteveC
    i hear to many stories about high dollar arms breaking......the only way i would change mine out is to get a set of jesels........but those are $$$$$$$$

but the point of this conversion is to eliminate the possibility of losing roller bearing out of the stock arms......which would really make for a bad day if it happened to you......the ease of removing the old bearings was shocking......it was so easy i could have almost took them out by pushing them with my fingers.....NOT GOOD

considering my cam is stock this was a cheap and cost effective upgrade..............side note..........there was hardly any wear on my arms after almost 200k miles
    Last edited by sjsingle1; 12-27-2012 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    i hear to many stories about high dollar arms breaking......the only way i would change mine out is to get a set of jesels........but those are $$$$$$$$

but the point of this conversion is to eliminate the possibility of losing roller bearing out of the stock arms......which would really make for a bad day if it happened to you......the ease of removing the old bearings was shocking......it was so easy i could have almost took them out by pushing them with my fingers.....NOT GOOD

considering my cam is stock this was a cheap and cost effective upgrade..............side note..........there was hardly any wear on my arms after almost 200k miles
    Hmm, haven't heard the breaking theory on a street car (seen it on some race cars though). I run 3 different brands of rollers on a few engines here without issues, but my street engines don't need ridiculously high spring pressures (400-450# open). Race engines however could be an issue with some of the spring pressures they require on big solid rollers, especially aluminum rockers as they fatigue over time. I prefer steel/molly versions.

I figured this trunion kit was a cost effective upgrade which is why I asked. Great for stock and even mild engines I assume. Probably something that should be done even on a complete stock rebuild.

silver
    2000 formula

i dont know at what lift of cam needs a rocker change out...........anyone? seems a lot of yella terras and scorpions break....i guess due to their aluminum bodies...but only gen 3 designs i never hear of any gen 1 engines breaking rollers

Thread Information