Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Impounded

Cold feet...LS6 or 6.0L?

Alright so this summer ill be replacing the engine...
    I was sold on the LS6...But now i have myself second guessing
    The 6.0L cast iron block from Texas Speed is
    $750
    A Forged 408 Rotating Assembly is around
    $2400
    The L92 Heads/Cam package is
    $2600
    (i belive that is all i need being that everything else should swap over)
    Unless i need other stuff??? Like lifters, rocker arms, pushrods?
    $5750 (+boring to a 408) compared to $3600
    And the 408 would put out more numbers then the ls6...plus id be starting out forged and could boost after the proper suspension upgrades...

Yes ive had this convo with a few members on here before bu i want to get some other opinions on here.
    Thanks.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

IMO the 408 is worth every penny i was looking in to doing it but i just cant afford it right now... the cast iron block may weigh more but the power u can make with it is awesome... and if u keep the compression low enough to boost...then its another story.... the problem is u wont be done at $5750.... u will need a clutch, driveshaft, 9in or 12bolt, idk if the t-56 will be able to handle much over 450HP neither? the heads and cam package should come with everything but im not sure about the rockers?

the ls6 is a great motor but i believe building the ls6 in the end will cost much more in the end... 408 all the way IMHO!!!!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

My vote for 408 and upgrade the entire car!!
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

What rear end setup are you running?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Here is the first thread, the OP disappeared and it kinda became Basham's thread lol so just so you all are caught up http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148829. Heres the thing basham, that 408 will make gobs more power than the ls6, up top its probably 50 to the wheels but where it will really shine is under the curve. However you wont do it for the 5400 there are numerous little things that go into building an engine like that, ie gaskets, bolts intake etc, all that stuff will add up. For instance an ls3 intake plus the injectors and a tb will be around 600 bucks all complete and I'm not even talking about getting upgraded injectors which you would probably need for the extra cubes then theres a clutch the ls7 would suit an ls6 just fine and would be relatively cheap do the 408 and a better clutch is need so theres a few hundred more... See where I'm going with this bro? Also as we discussed in the other thread your stock t56 and rear will be hating life even if you drive nice there still isnt really getting around the fact that motor will be a torque menace to the other components. I'd say after all is said and done you'd have 7k in the motor which is twice what a crate ls6 is. If you do the ls6 now you can save money and use it to upgrade the rear end/ tranny. Then later on if you want more power you can add a head and or cam package to the ls6 and get close to the peak numbers of the 408. Plus the ls6 would come with a warranty and would be a direct bolt in for all your components as they sit. And the car will be no slouch by any means a bolt on ls6 in a 6 speed car will dyno 400 with a decent tune and you probably be trapping 118-120 judging from other people Ive seen with the swap that mph is easily good for an 11sec car if you can drive. Power is great and all but you have to look at the big picture does it make sense to have a badass motor up front if the rest of the car cant handle it.
    Last edited by redbird555; 03-20-2011 at 06:02 AM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Here is the first thread, the OP disappeared and it kinda became Basham's thread lol so just so you all are caught up http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148829. Heres the thing basham, that 408 will make gobs more power than the ls6, up top its probably 50 to the wheels but where it will really shine is under the curve. However you wont do it for the 5400 there are numerous little things that go into building an engine like that, ie gaskets, bolts intake etc, all that stuff will add up. For instance an ls3 intake plus the injectors and a tb will be around 600 bucks all complete and I'm not even talking about getting upgraded injectors which you would probably need for the extra cubes then theres a clutch the ls7 would suit an ls6 just fine and would be relatively cheap do the 408 and a better clutch is need so theres a few hundred more... See where I'm going with this bro? Also as we discussed in the other thread your stock t56 and rear will be hating life even if you drive nice there still isnt really getting around the fact that motor will be a torque menace to the other components. I'd say after all is said and done you'd have 7k in the motor which is twice what a crate ls6 is. If you do the ls6 now you can save money and use it to upgrade the rear end/ tranny. Then later on if you want more power you can add a head and or cam package to the ls6 and get close to the peak numbers of the 408. Plus the ls6 would come with a warranty and would be a direct bolt in for all your components as they sit. And the car will be no slouch by any means a bolt on ls6 in a 6 speed car will dyno 400 with a decent tune and you probably be trapping 118-120 judging from other people Ive seen with the swap that mph is easily good for an 11sec car if you can drive. Power is great and all but you have to look at the big picture does it make sense to have a badass motor up front if the rest of the car cant handle it.
    This is the same thing I was thinking about when my engine blew. Once the warranty expires on this motor, I will be going with LS6 heads and a Maggie. I want to build this motor on a budget for I don't want anything else breaking with the extra power.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Capital Chevrolet in Montgomery,AL quoted me $5400 for a ls6 crate engine Tuesday of last week.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    Capital Chevrolet in Montgomery,AL quoted me $5400 for a ls6 crate engine Tuesday of last week.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Yup. That sounds correct. GMPP has quoted me the same price.

Impounded
    Well lstening to others, shits going to break no matter the power...maybe im power hungry...i dont know.
    I was sold on the ls6 in the thread that redbird shown. But reading other threads....makes we wonder if the ls6 is a waste of time.
    Last edited by BashamWS6; 03-20-2011 at 01:22 PM.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

12 bolt my friend or if you really want a stout rear axle strange s60.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    This is the same thing I was thinking about when my engine blew. Once the warranty expires on this motor, I will be going with LS6 heads and a Maggie. I want to build this motor on a budget for I don't want anything else breaking with the extra power.
    Does a Maggie fit under a ws6 f body hood?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Does a Maggie fit under a ws6 f body hood?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I think so, but the cowl will have to be trimmed for clearance. However, I believe a Harrop blower would fit without trimming of the cowl.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

i was thinking a stock ls6 would be fun for a while with the mods currently in place but we would eventually want more and i don't care for nitrous. a magnacharger on a ls6 would completely satisfy.
    2007 Corvette...stock...

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Plus the ls6 would come with a warranty and would be a direct bolt in for all your components as they sit.
    a 408 will also do that!!! he can get a warranty if he finds a long-block 408 or a crate 408... just have to find the right company... ls6 in the long run will run up the price like crazy 7k-9k with tranny/clutch, axel, and suspension parts... ls6 if u can get it for $3400 or w/e u still need a tranny/clutch 1k-3k, axel 2k-3k, suspension 1k-2k(depending on what all u get?) ur already looking at $7400-$11,000 plus the motor isnt even forged yet? prices will vary but 408 will save the money in the long run IMO!!!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I think so, but the cowl will have to be trimmed for clearance. However, I believe a Harrop blower would fit without trimming of the cowl.
    Harrop should fit without a probem. Ask me how I know

My bud runs one on his WS6 with no issues.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

408 would put more stress on drivetrain components than ls6.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Harrop should fit without a probem. Ask me how I know

My bud runs one on his WS6 with no issues.
    where can i find this harrop you speak of on the interwebz,googled it and all i got was some cobalt ss message boards

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

where can i find this harrop you speak of on the interwebz,googled it and all i got was some cobalt ss message boards
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ii5aFTsgkk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7egNlfyu-w[/ame]

Don't look at Late Model Speed though, my buddy (Owns the car in vids) hates them and had nothing but problems with them. His car made 513rwhp or so with minimal boost.

He gave me a ride in it and it hauls ass.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

513 rwhp with a ls1, what other mods besides the blower?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

513 rwhp with a ls1, what other mods besides the blower?
    LS1 with headers and lid with SC. Thats it from my understanding. Made like 593 rwhp with tons of boost but lowered it due to stock bottom end. He is a member on this site but doesn't post much.

Thread Information