Thread: clutch adjust

pewter
    2000 ss ttopper

clutch adjust

hey, is there a clutch adjustment on the 2000 ss , car has low miles but hard to get in gear ,and often grinds a bit going into reverse or wont go in at all thankyou mike

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

your clutch is self adjustable, if its grinding and you have the pedal all the way to the floor, you might have some air in the clutch cylenders. try bleeding them, check if you have fluid also, if thats the problem then your all set but if its not, then your clutch is going bad,

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Maybe Not

Could be your clutch master cylinder or slave. Don't get sucked into a new clutch until your certain.
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Most likely it's fluid degradation. Bleed it out and refill with fresh fluid.

It has a big wing!

I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be a bad slave.

2000 and earlier F-Bodies are known to have problems with the hydraulics going bad.'01 and newer tend to have less problems.

I would check your fluid levels and fill/bleed as necessary.See what happens after that.If the problem persists or returns,then I would start suspecting the hydraulics are failing.

To break it down you have a clutch master cylinder which actuates the slave which is responsible for engaging and disengaging your clutch.

If your clutch is not disengaging fully due to air in the sytsem,faulty slave, faulty master or any combo of those...It's going to be difficult to get the car in gear.In particualr 1st and reverse.At least that's the way it was in my case.

If it's losing fluid I would find out where it's coming from because it's going to get worse and it will become a real pain to live with.

I would swap out the master and slave with '01+ replacement parts.And if,you are actually in need of a new clutch,there would be no better time to have it swapped out than while you are getting your new slave put in.

I'm fairly new to the operation of the clutch systems in our cars so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Good luck!

First run about a pint and a half through it while bleeding it (yes it is messy and takes time). Then I may try the slave and master if the clutch is good (does not slip under pressure). It isn't that hard to drop a tranny if you need to do it again, it's not like you have to replace a gasket. Besides the more you do it the easier it gets.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Thread Information