Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Clutch............

My clutch is starting to go out on my '02 Z28, and I was wondering what kind of clutches people on here would recommend cuz I don't know too much about them.

My car is running long tubes, slp intake, 410's, frost tune, and a few other things here and there, so it's nothing too crazy, but will eventually be adding at least a set of heads and a cam.

Any suggestions?? and why??

Thanks!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have a Spec Stage 3+ and haven't had a single issue with it since installed 3.5 years ago. 2 of those years I've been pushing close to 500 at the wheels.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I like my monster stage 3 but i will admit it does chatter every now and then.
    Whatever you go with, just make sure you check for shims and replace your hydraulics (master/slave)
    If they've never been replaced its time

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Iam in the same boat will be doing mine over the winter, looks like the same mods...in my research I like the LS7 clutch set up there is a good thread on manual transmissions form, should easily handle 500+ H.P. and is listed on GM parts direct complete with flywheel (flywheel needs changed to the Ls7 for your Ls1)for a great price....head over there and check it out

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    Iam in the same boat will be doing mine over the winter, looks like the same mods...in my research I like the LS7 clutch set up there is a good thread on manual transmissions form, should easily handle 500+ H.P. and is listed on GM parts direct complete with flywheel (flywheel needs changed to the Ls7 for your Ls1)for a great price....head over there and check it out
    LS7 is a great clutch. I would choose it for applications under 450hp though. Lots of people have it and have great success. It's geared more towards street use, which is what most people use their car for.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes I've just had my new clutch, an LS7 assembly. A bit firmer than stock, not much tho. I do like how it's a progressive clutch, no chatter, and no on/off action like some. When you start making a lot of power, you do need the super aggressive style clutches, and the LS7 may not be the one.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

A LOT of people on here go with the LS7 clutch. I personally like a very stiff pedal, so when i had my ws6 i put a monster level 4 in it and it was awesome. It does chatter if youre a bit slow on the gas. You have to kind of drive aggressive with it. I probably wouldnt buy it again if i had another ls car. Id probably go with the LS7 clutch

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

thanks for all the advice................much appreciated!

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    LS7 is a great clutch. I would choose it for applications under 450hp though. Lots of people have it and have great success. It's geared more towards street use, which is what most people use their car for.
    If I read correct that clutch came in the Vette with a 505h.p. plant in it! That is why I quoted 500+ and your right if your taking it to the track often then this set up is not for you..I may see a track day or two wanted to hit it with pajeff this fall but after a few practice runs my clutch is just too bad. Don't want to be 2 1/2 hrs. Away when it takes a shit on me!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    If I read correct that clutch came in the Vette with a 505h.p. plant in it! That is why I quoted 500+ and your right if your taking it to the track often then this set up is not for you..I may see a track day or two wanted to hit it with pajeff this fall but after a few practice runs my clutch is just too bad. Don't want to be 2 1/2 hrs. Away when it takes a shit on me!
    A Corvette is also lighter than a F-body, which plays a role.

I'll stick to 450.

OP - Also note that with the LS7 clutch that if you ever want to change MC's down the road to a Tick, you can't without also replacing the clutch again. This is due to the self-adjusting pressure plate of the LS7.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

A Corvette is also lighter than a F-body, which plays a role.

I'll stick to 450.

OP - Also note that with the LS7 clutch that if you ever want to change MC's down the road to a Tick, you can't without also replacing the clutch again. This is due to the self-adjusting pressure plate of the LS7.
    This^^ a z0-6 weighs in around 3200 lbs so there is as much load on the clutch and even z06 owners start having issues with minor bolt ons. I'd look into a monster stage 1 or 2 or a diamond clutch at tdp. Their stage 2 is rated at 600hp and you'd be hard pressed to find one bad review on it it sells with a flywheel for $700 and 400 without one. The monster stage 1 is a little above the ls7 and sells for around 500 right now on sale at Colorado speed. The stage 2 which is what I would go with is rated at 550whp and is $529 and monster clutches come with a billet flywheel. None of these clutches are self adjusting like oem so you can do a tick master if you choose to later on although I must say the tick is worth every penny.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Cant go wrong with Monster clutches

Silver

So your saying you can't use the tick with the LS7 setup? I was unaware of this, I was planing on buying it also! Please explain if you could please..also where in the h.p. range would I be if I went with a head and cam package with what I already have, Lt's, Magnaflow cat back, SLP air lid smooth bellow, Frost tune? Maybe need to rethink this lucky the snow will be flying soon so I have some time

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I've read here that if you use a Tick, put it on when you install the LS7 clutch, or it will cause problems. I've also read here that there was no problem with the Tick, after an LS7 clutch. This is the internet, so who knows about some people's ability to do things. I know that where I got my transmission/clutch done, I asked them what they thought about a Tick, and their response was it would not be a problem if I wanted to put one on later. RPM did say that with the updated slave cylinder I would have little or no issue with the hydraulics, and so far that is correct.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yes, you can use the Tick with a LS7 clutch. Only when it is installed at the same time, NEW. Meaning you have to install the Tick with a brand new LS7 clutch. If you try installing it with a worn LS7 clutch, it will not work because that clutch has a self-adjusting pressure plate.

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

Please tell us why it won't work? What if your master goes bad a few miles after the 7 install... could you not replace the master(with any kind) without redoing the clutch?
    I'm very curious as clutch and internals are the last things I have left to do.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I've never seen anyone successful with installing a Tick with a used LS7 clutch. People here and over on tech have found the same thing out. The pressure plate adjusts to the stock MC. Once it does that, that's it. There is no way to adjust it to the Tick. People have engagement issues and have torn up pressure plates by trying to go this route, resulting in either a new pressure plate or a totally new set-up all together. I'd say I've seen about 10 threads on this now, at least.

The only people I've seen successful are ones already running the Tick prior to installing a LS7 clutch or installing them together, both being new.

Silver

Yes, you can use the Tick with a LS7 clutch. Only when it is installed at the same time, NEW. Meaning you have to install the Tick with a brand new LS7 clutch. If you try installing it with a worn LS7 clutch, it will not work because that clutch has a self-adjusting pressure plate.
    thats good to hear Jon, that is the direction I was headed (tick&new ls7 clutch) all at once, was over at ticks site and read some reviews and seems to be a very sound investment! Seems to clear up some of those shifting issues under hard a heavy right foot run..as far as a head & cam change that could be a ways off for I want to build the suspension and drive train before anymore power. Seeing how Iam just a regular working joe have to do things a little at a time

Black
    1999 camaro

I like my monster level 1. It drives like stock. I personally like one that does away with the "self adjusting" b/c from what I've read and learned is that it can contribute to the varying pedal feel when driving hard.
    1995 Z28 A4: 353 LT1 Heads/Cam/Stall, awaiting !opti or !LT1

1999 SS M6: Pacesetter Longtubes, SLP 2otl catback, E-cutout, 218/218 .563 .563 112lsa cam, Ls6 injectors, Ls6 intake, 85mm maf, Whisper lid, Pro 5.0, 4.10 gears, UMI sfc, Founders LCA & PHB, Tuned by v8muscle.net

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

This....

Guess who found out the hard way.....

Thread Information