black
    2001 firebird formula

clunk in right front end when going over bumps...

Hi, sorry this is a bit wordy, but any advise would be appreciated...

I have a 2001 Firebird Formula.

In 2002, I replaced my springs with the Eibach Pro-kit lower springs, BMR adjustable panhard rod & new front struts (a generic brand I bought from a local auto part store).

I drove the car for about 35000 miles, I then put the car in storage for 2 years without driving it at all. I did not put the car on jack stands, but left it sit on a set of junk tires.

6 months ago, I took it out of storage and am now driving it again, but the ride is extremely harsh (the harsh ride existed before I put it in storage as well). I heard that the Eibach Pro's are not suppose to reduce ride quality significantly over stock springs. It also seems like the car sits lower in the front then it did before (I can only fit 1 finger between the top of front tire & fender). I am also now getting a "clunking" sound from the right front when going over large bumps.

My question is this...what should I replace? Will new shocks/struts fix this? Do I need to purchase new springs as well or are my old ones still good? Was wondering what the life expectancy of the Eibach springs are. With our roads in Michigan as BAD as they are...many potholes, should I re-install the factory springs? Bad bearings or ball joints (I can't feel any play in the wheel when jacked up)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Lightbulb

Your current front shocks just don't have the valving to control a spring with twice the spring rate as the factory springs; thats a lot of your problem there. Most likely those shocks are shot!
    But first check your tire pressure,you might have it too high! Try 32psi in front and 30psi in the rear,that should help some!

Also, some brand/model tires just don't give a very good ride quality.
    Last edited by Blue28; 01-31-2009 at 11:40 AM.

black
    2001 firebird formula

Thanks for the info...what shocks are best with the eibach pro's?

Also, are the springs still good after 35000 miles? The car handles fine, it's just the harsh ride over bumps, and the "clunk' noise I get from the front right side. I can also hear a slight clunk when I bounce the right front side with my hands.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Lightbulb

It depends on how much you're willing to spend, so how much?

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

The springs should be fine.
    The clunk's possibly the nut on the shock shaft in the upper mount is loose, but also check your swaybar endlinks and make sure they're tight enough.

If you can afford the Koni SAs get them(good shock, with great valving). You can alway just get the front shocks first, then get the rears later.

Then you have the KYB AGX shocks which has decent adjustable valving, but the quality isn't the greatest. But they cost a lot less than the Koni SAs.

Then you have the SLP bilsteins which aren't adjustable and have decent valving, but great quality.
    IMO, the quality of the bilsteins is clearly better then the Koni's, but not the valving.

IMO, Koni SAs first choice if you can afford and don't mind spending the money on them, otherwise get the SLP Bilsteins.

black
    2001 firebird formula

I jacked the car up, I could't feel any verticle play in the wheel (ball joints, bearings). The car handles fine (no erratic steering or shimmy), with the exception of the "bone jarring" ride quality. Am not sure if simply just replacing the struts will improve the ride...I am considering putting the factory springs back on...even though I hate the "lifted up" look. Has anyone experienced these symptoms and corrected them by replacing only the struts? Just want to know for sure so I'm not replacing parts, only to have the problem still there...

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Part of your harsh ride problem is your probably riding on the bumpstops most of the time because your shocks are gone.
    I can attest to the Koni's being a huge improvement in ride and control, well worth the expense IMO.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

just b/c you hear a clunk does not always mean its the suspension, it could be bushings or exhuast stuff like that, that is hiting somewere make sure you check everything

i think the springs you have on now should be fine IMO

i would change the shocks you have on the car to somthing better and change all the bushing if you can

black
    2001 firebird formula

Question

Thanks for the feedback. This morning, I "bounced" the car by pushing down repeatedly on the right front fender, & I definetly hear something loose thats making a clunking noise when I push down. I don't hear it when I do the same thing to the left side. Could this be the loose upper strut bolt that was mentioned earlier? Could it be ball joints, or tie rod ends? When I jack the car up, I feel no play at all when I try to rock the wheel at 12 & 6 o'clock...

Another question...does the shocks have that much effect on the "ride" of the car over the springs? If I replace the shocks with SLP Bilsteins, will the "boen jarring" ride over bumps dramatically improve?

Thanks to all for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Lightbulb

"If I replace the shocks with SLP Bilsteins, will the "bone jarring" ride over bumps dramatically improve?"

I don't know about dramatically improve, but definitely it will be noticeably better! Quite a few people think they offer a really great ride, even though the valving isn't perfectly suited for stiff lowering springs.

black
    2001 firebird formula

Thanks for the info. I am now just trying to decide whether to keep the lowering springs, or put the factory springs back on. I hate the jacked up look of the factory springs, but Michigan roads are getting worse & worse every year...

black
    2001 firebird formula

Question

who has the best $$$ on the bilsteins? I checked slp website & they want $425 for all 4.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Ensure everything is tight and your front shocks arent loose. Recently had a buddy's car with a clunk when going over speed bumps, just turned out to be a loose shock, tightened it and the noise was gone.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

black
    2001 firebird formula

Was it a front shock? That may be my problem. Figure that I should probably replace the shocks anyway though to improve the ride.

black
    2001 firebird formula

I spoke with a # of people, some say just replace the shocks & the ride will be ok. Others however say that shocks will only control "bounce", & the ride & ride height are determined completely by the springs (mine are the eibach pro series). Can anyone add to this???

midnight blue
    98 trans-am

Hey man have you tried replacing the strut mounts also?? I had the same problem and that fixed it. otherwise I would take the time to reinstall it and have someone double check your work before I waste my money on buying new strutts just because. If money dosent mater then go ahead and put new struts in at the same time but you should install new strut mounts. Hope this helps!!

Thread Information