Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Close one

red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Close one

Ok I just got my 98 Trans Am, well last night I was going to go to town and started it up, I got out of the drive way and there was white smoke coming out of the dash, I turned off the car and it went out, I started it back up and parked it at the house, this morning I went to take a look at it.

The previous owner had a wire running out of the fuse box by the driver door. it looked like the wire was red hot, it did not damage the wires but it melted the plastic and burnt underneath the door sill and the carpet.

I followed the wire it was pushed through a rubber grommet, I cut the wire off because it was all bare, I tried to start it but it wouldn't start.

I looked underneath and it was hooked up to a brown wire, now it wont start, I think he ran a real thin wire and it fried and almost burnt up the car.

I checked all the fuses and they are not blown, and while he rigged it up it did run.

does any know where I can get a diagram for the harness and how it is routed. I don't think the fuel pump it getting any juice.

any help is appreciated.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I am thinking the previous owner may have bypassed the VATS system or ran a starter disabler in the car but used the wrong wiring. Glad to hear ya found the problem before it got worse. Car fires are NOT cool.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Where did the wire come from? Where did it go?
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

still puzzled

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I am thinking the previous owner may have bypassed the VATS system or ran a starter disabler in the car but used the wrong wiring. Glad to hear ya found the problem before it got worse. Car fires are NOT cool.
    I took it too work monday but just going out for an ice cream that killed it. The car turns over but without that jumper cable it just ain't getting any power. lights work from the light switch but the stereo and odometer doesn't work dimmer switch works.

I did check for codes and it is saying no codes. it seems like it is in the switch.

red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

wire

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Where did the wire come from? Where did it go?
    J
    The wire ran from the fuse box underneath the light switch and ran under the door sill and carpet throught a rubber grommet underneath the rear seat and hooked up directly a wiring harness.

melted everything it touched. plus a bunch white smoke.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I am gonna guess that the wire was run to an external fuel pump, or maybe there was a speaker system in the trunk.

red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

yes

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I am gonna guess that the wire was run to an external fuel pump, or maybe there was a speaker system in the trunk.
    Yes it was melted to some sub woofer audio cables. I got the old monsoon system for now. I don't know how he hooked that up, the old pioneer stereo wouldn't come on unless he put the yellow and orange wires together or the switch wired and battery wire.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Jumper wired it. Cheap...and CARELESS way to wire a subwoofer.

red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

still won't start

I read the thread on VATS, and I am still figuring out this vats, but the motor turn does turn over and does not fire up, stereo and odometer won't come on and I don't think the fuel pump is running.

would putting the resistors on help it start.
    Last edited by Nukkl Dragger; 04-14-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

There may be a burnt wire somewhere. If all the lights are out, there may be a power wire burnt.

This same thing happened to a high school buddy and myself. We put headers in his father's old Dodge van and I moved the wires away from the header I installed. My friend did not. I asked him if he had moved the wires away from the header on his side and he said yes...hmmm. Hopped in the van and got a few blocks down the road and we smelled something burning...was the wires he SAID he moved. Burnt everything and had to have the van towed back to his house...for his folks to see...and laugh.

You are gonna have to do some wire tracing starting with under the dash on the driver side and the steering column.
    Last edited by cammed goat; 04-14-2010 at 08:16 PM.

red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

jumper wire

Ok I put a Jumper wire with a fuse attached the fuel harness and to the battery, started right up now. the only thing is that the stereo won't come on or that little odometer won't come upm, other than that it ran fine, didn't drive it, the security light flashes on after it started then turned off.

but I disconnected it from the battery, what size wire and how big fuse should I put in their. should I use it? and where should I connect the wire for fuel pump fi I use it.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have a feeling you are going to have to do some looking around to put the wiring back to the way it should be. Having jumper wires could result in a fire.

red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

checked

I checked the lines no power going to stereo and fuel pump and odometer light, everything else is getting power but those three things, I checked the codes and it reads no codes.

but still looking.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

You just bought the car? Do you still have any way to contact the previous owner. I would try and get in touch and say, look I'm not pissed, Just need some info so I don't catch my car on fire and see if he can tell you what he did.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yah. I would love to know just what the hell the previous owner did. I don't know the whole story and I ALREADY don't like what the previous owner did.

red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I'm going to talk to a mechanic next week he is pretty reasonable. I ran a jumper cable with a fuse to the fuel pump, it started right up totally weird. I took it off anyway.

the yellow switch 12v wire isn't getting any juice, I ran a 12v fused wire to it the stereo was going and the odometer and trip meter came on.

it is taking hours but I will find it plus a lot of coffee.

I almost want to say it is the switch itself it seems loose it has a lot of play about a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch, probably from years of jamming the key in.

red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    You just bought the car? Do you still have any way to contact the previous owner. I would try and get in touch and say, look I'm not pissed, Just need some info so I don't catch my car on fire and see if he can tell you what he did.
    I bought a few weeks ago drove out to the country enjoyed the spring air must have put 400 miles on it , it was running just fine stereo played, but now memory to it.

I drove around to work for a couple of weeks and it started up everytime I turned the key, that sidewinder alarm system worked fine still does, my cat jumped from the tree to the t-tops alarm sounded and he almost jumped back up that tree(I thought they had soft paws).

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If the cylinder is bad, then that could be the cause. Do your keys have the chips in them?

red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Ya it has that chip in their i measured it was 520, would a used one work. it should If I bypass it with the resistors in place.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I still think the previous owner had problems starting the car and bypassed the anti-theft system. If you replace the cylinder, you get new keys with it. I just don't know if there is a key relearn once installed.

Thread Information