pewter
    99 Trans Am

Unhappy Clicking sound when I turn my wheels left or right.

I have noticed a clicking sound when I turn my wheels under the car, I have checked the front end and I can't find anything wrong with the front end. I feel that it may be coming from the struts. can this be where the noise is coming from. I jacked up the left side of the car and there is no noise with weight off the front end,what do you guys think and have any of you had this issue before? I have had the car 16 years now and it seem that everything is going wrong with it at once.only 45,000 miles and it seems to be coming apart, first alternator, charging problem, clicking sound under the car and ac compressor has gone out leaking between the seams. I NEED SOME HELP.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Check the wheel bearings
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I have new hubs on the car ,and it only does it sitting still. you can turn the wheel left or right moving and it works find. I have checked the wheels and there is no play at all in the wheels I replaced the tire rod ends which needed replacing but there is still the noise when sitting still and turning wheel left and right.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You've covered the basics. I assume your lugs are tight? With the front end in the air, put your hands at the 12:00 and 6:00 positions and try to rock the wheel. Then repeat at the 3:00 and 9:00 positions. If you feel any play on either side you may have an issue.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Done that and found nothing ,I changed the tire rod ends because the rubber boots were gone and they had a little play in them and being so cheap I replaced them making one less thing I had to worry about later, as long as the car is moving there is no noise at all it's only when I turn the wheel sitting still that I hear this clicking, raise the car and get a little weight off the frontend the tires don't even have to be off the ground an it stops, just one wheel lifted a bit will stop the clicking either side don't matter. have anyone had problems with the stering shaft ujoints? I can't figure this one out.
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 05-11-2015 at 11:44 PM.

[URL] does your steering have a gear/universal box if so check for wear on gears or universal joint?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Have the strut mounts ever been replaced? The bearings in the strut mounts could be on their way out. Do you have to give any extra effort to turn the steering wheel?

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Black
    2000 Trans Am

is the clicking a metallic click or more of a plastic? It almost sounds like the strut bearings need to be replaced

Check ball joints

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I believe it may be the strut bearing but a dealer tech told me he think it's ball joints I have checked the wheels and there is no play in either wheel. how much for the strut bearing and how hard are they to replace?thinking about doing the bearing and the ball joints.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    I believe it may be the strut bearing but a dealer tech told me he think it's ball joints I have checked the wheels and there is no play in either wheel. how much for the strut bearing and how hard are they to replace?thinking about doing the bearing and the ball joints.
    well the strut mount/bearing isnt that much. Unless you do it yourself and have the spring compressor to take everything apart... the labor will be what gets you. If you were closer I would say bring it to me and I would throw them in for you. Steering and suspension was my specialty and what I was best at lol
    Last edited by wraith23; 05-22-2015 at 03:54 AM.

Thread Information