Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

Cigarette lighter draining devices - not charging

This is the stranest thing I have ever seen. I had a Sirus sat radio plugged into my Cigarette Lighter 'power port' in my daily driver (Honda Civic Hybrid) for about a year without any problems (it blew a fuse once but that's no big deal). About a month ago it stopped working. I tested the Sirus headunit with the power adapter in a friends car and it worked fine, indicating to me that my power adapter was bad. I had been meaning to get another one but hadn't gotten around to it. My wife had to take the car on a trip to upstate NY and plugged her GPS unit into it. It was fully charged and can usually get about 3 hours on a charge. Within 30 minutes the GPS gave a power warning and shut down. The battery was drained. She figured the GPS battery had gone bad and disconnect the power adapter and plugged in her cell phone charger. Her phone was also fully charged and can go a day or two without needing a recharge. It was dead in about an hour.

This morning I unpluged my Cell phone from the house current (fully charged, 4 bars), got in the car and drove 45 minutes to work. When I arrived the battery was showing only one bar. I just recharged it using my desk charger and the battery is fine.

Has anyone ever heard of a Cigarette Lighter actually discharging devices? I know you can jump start a car by plugging a power source in the cigarette lighter, so I guess it is possible. I'm taking my car's 12v battery (not the hybrid battery) into Advance Auto to get it tested this weekend. My car still starts fine though. No clicking or slow turnover.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i think you are on drugs

that is odd, i havent heard of that stuff happening

Black
    02 T/A WS6

you def have a short somewheres.

Thread Information