Black

check gauges light

Help Please! I have a 98 WS6 with a LS1 engine, i had a check engine light come on which showed 1 bad knock sensor. I pulled the intake and replaced BOTH knock sensors even though I only had 1 bad one. Now I have a "check gauges" light on and the oil pressure & temp gauges are not working. All of the wires have been reconnected. Does anyone have any suggestions or does anyone know what color the wires are going to the sending unit from the gauges. As you all know things are really tight back there

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by GWTWayne View Post
    Help Please! I have a 98 WS6 with a LS1 engine, i had a check engine light come on which showed 1 bad knock sensor. I pulled the intake and replaced BOTH knock sensors even though I only had 1 bad one. Now I have a "check gauges" light on and the oil pressure & temp gauges are not working. All of the wires have been reconnected. Does anyone have any suggestions or does anyone know what color the wires are going to the sending unit from the gauges. As you all know things are really tight back there
    if you had to pull the intake manifold then more than likely you busted the oil sending unit behind the manifold. all the vacuum lines and wiring harness were literally wrapped around my OSU to the point where i couldnt avoid breaking it. when i replaced it my oil pressure was off because i didnt tighten it all the way. when i tightened everything was reading fine again.

Red
    2001 ws6

x2!

Black

so it looks like I am going to have to pull the intake off again and check to see if i broke the sending unit? Any hints as to what I am looking for, i did not recall seeing a typical sensor back there.

white
    2000 Z28

mine was on the drivers side of the engine literally right behind the engine. it is about 3" or so tall without being plugged in. mine was pretty brittle to the point that when i tried back out the remainder of the OSU it literally just crumbled in my fingers.i didnt find any images of it right off the bat so i used this pic to give you a general idea of where it sits.

the sensor looks similar to this.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

If I can change mine on a 97 with ASR motor monted over there on the right side you can change yours with out pulling the intake. They make a special socket and I managed to get the socket an extention and wrench in there just beside the brake booster. Use teflon on the new one.

Black

Smile Oil Sending Unit 98 LS-1

To the guys that helped me THANK YOU! I found the sensor exactly where you said it would be and i had snapped it off. Mine was very brittle as well. Ordered a new one today and will have it up and running again tomorrow...THANKS AGAIN!

Thread Information