Pewter
    2000 Z28

Charging Problem

Lately my charging gauge has been showing a low charge to the battery. I went to start the car yesterday and not enough battery left to start. After getting a jump, I was working my way home and the whole way I kept watching the gauge drop more and more until I started losing gauges and almost stalling, but got it home. The way it was acting, I assumed it was the Alternator. I took it to Autozone and it tested fine. Then took the battery in and it was not taking a charge. Purchased new battery and installed along with reinstalling the alternator. Started the car and let it run for 10 minutes to settle the idle down. Decided I would take it for a drive. Pulled out of the driveway and noticed the gauge starting to drop. drove around the block and by the time I got home the gauge was around 8.....

I am at a loss....anyone have any ideas on what to check next.....Please help, I am getting desperate, might have to take it to a mechanic to get checked out if I can't get it fixed.

Thanks in advance

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Chinazone should be able too hook your car up with the alt and bat. instailed. If you can drive it back up there and have them hook it up and see what the deal is. Or pick up a multimeter and hook it too the battery and see what its sitting at with the car running. Also check the leads coming off the alt and see if its sending power back out.
    Chances are its your alt even thou they checked it.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Green
    1999 Firebird

I just read your post about your battery gauge going down as you were driving your car and everything going. I'm having the same exact problem. I replaced the battery and the alternator and is still doing the same thing. Were you ever able to diagnose the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Check the wires from the alt to the battery. You will have to remove the boot to ensure the connection is good. I had the same problem same symptoms and everything. From the top the terminals looked good until I cut the boot off the positive side there was so much corrosion in between the nut and terminal the it didn't have a good connection and wouldn't charge.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

All batteries must be fully charged before putting them into service as per the manufacturers instructions.

Black
    2005 GTO

Aside from the obvious connections check the little red wire that plugs into the top of the ALT its just one little small wire. This wire goes to your pcm if this wire gets damanged or broke the alt never gets the signal for the alt to start charging and your bat will continue to die. Take a look and see if that wire is still intact or if the conection on the alt is really nasty. I had this problem a few weeks back.

Red
    1999 TA

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Aside from the obvious connections check the little red wire that plugs into the top of the ALT its just one little small wire. This wire goes to your pcm if this wire gets damanged or broke the alt never gets the signal for the alt to start charging and your bat will continue to die. Take a look and see if that wire is still intact or if the conection on the alt is really nasty. I had this problem a few weeks back.

+1 just delt with this last week. new connector $30....mine came with 4 wires but you only need one.

Thread Information