Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 Trans Am

changing plugs and wires.

doable at home or is it shop time?

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

If you have some patience, its doable at home. You will feel better doing it yourself then paying someone. With the right tools it isnt that bad.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

what type of tools are we talking about here? I mean, I have a fairly full set of craftsman tools and the like.

do I have to raise the front end or anything like that?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

that is a great link. thank you very much for the information. after reading that I think I can manage it myself as well.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

one more question, sorry to be such a pain. any recommendations on plugs and wires? I think platinum plugs are what I have heard thus far as a good choice, what about wires? 8mm? bigger? brands?

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

ngk tr55 plugs. Wires, I'm gonna get flamed for this response, but they are too short for it to matter in my opinion. Don't waste your money on anything special.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    ngk tr55 plugs. Wires, I'm gonna get flamed for this response, but they are too short for it to matter in my opinion. Don't waste your money on anything special.
    Yep, TR55 for N/A and TR6's for FI

I agree on the wires. I am still running my stockers. I will eventually change them because of their age.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

flat black
    how many miles are on your car...what do your plugs look like now...all 8...whats the resistance in the wires? how do you drive...mostly street, highway, short drives, long drives, high RPM's these are all things to know when choosing the right plug...as for wires...in finally changed mine at 118k the resistance on them was just barely out of spec...the firing kv still looked awesome, but i didnt want to risk the extra fatique to the coils...Napa premiums is what i stuck on there...wires are not as important on the LS considering the lack of distance there is in the wires...you can buy the MSD's if you want...not needed though...the coils put out about 6 X more power than you will ever need to fire the plugs....you need between 5-15kV to fire the plugs those coils are capable of 100kV

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by lrader99 View Post
    how many miles are on your car...what do your plugs look like now...all 8...whats the resistance in the wires? how do you drive...mostly street, highway, short drives, long drives, high RPM's these are all things to know when choosing the right plug...as for wires...in finally changed mine at 118k the resistance on them was just barely out of spec...the firing kv still looked awesome, but i didnt want to risk the extra fatique to the coils...Napa premiums is what i stuck on there...wires are not as important on the LS considering the lack of distance there is in the wires...you can buy the MSD's if you want...not needed though...the coils put out about 6 X more power than you will ever need to fire the plugs....you need between 5-15kV to fire the plugs those coils are capable of 100kV

uh... english please? lol

the car has 110k miles on it. my service engine light came on yesterday, I took it to the shop today and they for the meager price of 100 dollars they told me it has multi misfires and I need to change the plugs and wires. they could do this for me tomorrow for the tidy sum of 898 dollars!

I dont know anything about resistance, I havent pulled any plugs to look at them to see their condition.

to be honest, I am, er was, a mopar guy, and older mopars at that. if the car has fuel injection I can honestly say I have never done a mechanical thing to it in my lifetime. so I lift the hood on this beauty and can recognize some components but it looks foreign to me for the most part under there.

the link above has restored my confidence in doing this job at home, I just dont want to put crap on my car when I could put better items on it.

the ngk plugs will suffice, I see they are recommended by more than one person. tr55 for n/a and tr6 for fi? fi = fuel injection I assume?

otherwise, it looks like the msd 8.5 wires are ok to use as well.

as for how I drive and all. I mostly drive to work and back, some weekend cruises and country drives. no racing or heavy hot rodding necessarily.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

stock wires are fine, but it wouldnt hurt to upgrade to the 8.5mm msd or taylors. for a stock car, Id also recommend ngk tr55s. Do it yourself. a 3/8" ratchet, 1" ext. and maybe a 3' and a sparkplug socket and you're good to go! If the misfire continues, Id look at the coil packs or injectors next.

black
    02 z28

get ac delco iridiums

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

And to answer the ?, fi means forced induction. If you urn a supercharger turbo or nitrous then TR6, otherwise you need the TR55

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    And to answer the ?, fi means forced induction. If you urn a supercharger turbo or nitrous then TR6, otherwise you need the TR55

ty sir. ty all for the help. it will get tr55's and msd 8.5 wires asap.

but here is the oddity now. I picked the car up last night from the dealer, on the way home I notice the missing is gone but the service engine soon light is still on.

driving to work this morning, running like a champ and about half way here the light goes off! damn car might be possessed. lol

still gonna change the plugs and wires this weekend most likely.

maroonZ
    Bring it to a shop. My shop charged me 1 hr labour. Considering the time and aggravation not counting busted knuckles, best $80 cdn I ever spent.

Used Brisk Racing LGS plugs and Granatelli wires. I noticed a big difference. Both of those products have been tested in GM High Tech Performance.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by m6speed View Post
    get ac delco iridiums
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Ngk TR55s are great plugs. They are copper and copper are the best performing plugs but they need to be changed every couple years. If you dont wanna change em again for awhile, go with some irridiums. I change mine every other year and kinda enjoy spending the time under the hood.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i'm getting these bad boys put in on wed.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

150$ including those plugs, and Bosch wires installed
    Last edited by ss~zoso~ss; 08-09-2006 at 07:39 PM.

flat black
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Lou View Post
    ty sir. ty all for the help. it will get tr55's and msd 8.5 wires asap.

but here is the oddity now. I picked the car up last night from the dealer, on the way home I notice the missing is gone but the service engine soon light is still on.

driving to work this morning, running like a champ and about half way here the light goes off! damn car might be possessed. lol

still gonna change the plugs and wires this weekend most likely.
    SES light will automatically go off after 3 drive cycles of normal operation...the codes are still stored in freeze frame Data, but the light has gone out...nothing to worry about...find someone with a code reader and pull the codes...just to check

Thread Information