philsls1

changing my oils to synthetic can u guys help?

im getting ready to take my car out of storage and was going to service the car. my car has 31000 miles on it so i thought while i was at it i would change tranny fluid and rear end lube since it hasn't been done . i was wondering if anybody could tell me the benefits to going to synthetic in engine,tranny, and rear end and what brands to use in each? by the way my car is a ls1- m6. thanks in advance everyone

Look for Sarge's oil junkie thread, plenty of good reading and posting going on there

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Depends on how you run it too

A very reliable Chev dealer mechanic recommended synthetic for any WS6 or SS if you are going to 'run it' pretty good. If 'normal' driving with just occasional 'pedal to the metal' then no need for the synthetic, a waste of money if you change the oil every 3,000 miles. He also had some reference material from GM that backed up his opinion on that. You need to be the judge. Someone else will have to help you with the 'brands' other than what GM recommends.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I use regular dino oil but I change my oil every 2-3k miles. Synethetic would cost me a fortune. I also have 4 vehicles so it's easier just using the same oil for everything. I saw a horsepower tv last year I think where they switched all fluids over to Royal Purple and gained several horses on a dyno. Not sure the exact number gained but it was ~10 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion
    I use regular dino oil but I change my oil every 2-3k miles. Synethetic would cost me a fortune. I also have 4 vehicles so it's easier just using the same oil for everything. I saw a horsepower tv last year I think where they switched all fluids over to Royal Purple and gained several horses on a dyno. Not sure the exact number gained but it was ~10 I think.
    They only thing wrong with that they swapped out old oil, they should of tested it first with new dyno oil

98 Formula
    06 duramax

good point,

2000 Pontiac Trans-am WS6

Check out this web site and every question you could have ever asked and the thousands you never thought of will be answered about motor oil.
    Petroleum base motor oils are killing your engine and the 3000 mile oil change intervals are the biggest scam the oil industry has played on the consumer with the exception of $3.00/gal plus gasoline at the pump........http://www.motoroilbible.com/

NBM
    '00 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ponti-MANIac
    Check out this web site and every question you could have ever asked and the thousands you never thought of will be answered about motor oil.
    Petroleum base motor oils are killing your engine and the 3000 mile oil change intervals are the biggest scam the oil industry has played on the consumer with the exception of $3.00/gal plus gasoline at the pump........http://www.motoroilbible.com/
    I just got done reading that. Thanks! That's some good info.

red
    04 pontiac gto

good reading but heres my question..my car has 80,000 miles on it i want to swtich to synthetic but i usally take it to places to have them do it.is it worth switching to synthetic if so what brands are best?

seriously, hop on this thread http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1299

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I suggest that you go to this site. It will answer all of your questions.
    www.amsoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JEB
    I suggest that you go to this site. It will answer all of your questions.
    www.amsoil.com/
    Excellent suggestion.......Amsoil has been independently tested against all the majors including Mobil 1 and the smaller brands like Redline and Royal Purple and beats them all. Amsoil synthetic is so confident in their product that they claim 25,000 mile or 1 year (whichever comes first) between oil changes and even claim 35,000 miles on their 0W-30. They also offer the best air & oil filtration products blocking particles as small as 15 microns (a human hair is 80 microns thick) with their new synthetic nanofiber technology offering more airflow than a K&N with 50% better protection.
    If you don't feel comfortable about going so far between oil changes, they even offer test kits so you can do periodic evaluations of the oils lubricating qualities and see for yourself. Keep in mind too that any company boasting 25k+ between oil changes must be a straight shooter. They could make alot more money by lying and saying oil changes should be every 5000 miles. Mobil 1 claims 15k miles but they also have a dozen other petroleum motor oils rated a 3000 mi and that's where they make their money. Amsoil only sells pure/full synthetic oils and lubricants and they've chosen to put honesty infront of profits. (a quart of their HP 5W-30 is less than $7.00 a quart..dude that's cheap!!) I have put my money where my mouth is on my 2000 WS-6 and my Dodge Ram P/U. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.
    If you want to switch to synthetic on a car with 100K+miles they offer an engine flush to rid your engine of sludge and carbon caused by petroleum based oils......Oh yeah, their engine flush contains no engine damaging kerosene like most other engine flushes so it's safe to use. Just keep a close eye on your oil pressure when using it as you may get a low reading while it thins out the exisitng oil during the 20 min flush.
    (Maybe the guys at Amsoil will give me a job!)

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Ponti-MANIac
    Excellent suggestion.......Amsoil has been independently tested against all the majors including Mobil 1 and the smaller brands like Redline and Royal Purple and beats them all. Amsoil synthetic is so confident in their product that they claim 25,000 mile or 1 year (whichever comes first) between oil changes and even claim 35,000 miles on their 0W-30. They also offer the best air & oil filtration products blocking particles as small as 15 microns (a human hair is 80 microns thick) with their new synthetic nanofiber technology offering more airflow than a K&N with 50% better protection.
    If you don't feel comfortable about going so far between oil changes, they even offer test kits so you can do periodic evaluations of the oils lubricating qualities and see for yourself. Keep in mind too that any company boasting 25k+ between oil changes must be a straight shooter. They could make alot more money by lying and saying oil changes should be every 5000 miles. Mobil 1 claims 15k miles but they also have a dozen other petroleum motor oils rated a 3000 mi and that's where they make their money. Amsoil only sells pure/full synthetic oils and lubricants and they've chosen to put honesty infront of profits. (a quart of their HP 5W-30 is less than $7.00 a quart..dude that's cheap!!) I have put my money where my mouth is on my 2000 WS-6 and my Dodge Ram P/U. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.
    If you want to switch to synthetic on a car with 100K+miles they offer an engine flush to rid your engine of sludge and carbon caused by petroleum based oils......Oh yeah, their engine flush contains no engine damaging kerosene like most other engine flushes so it's safe to use. Just keep a close eye on your oil pressure when using it as you may get a low reading while it thins out the exisitng oil during the 20 min flush.
    (Maybe the guys at Amsoil will give me a job!)
    .....and now back to your regularly scheduled program.

.....and now back to your regularly scheduled program.
    Yeah, Yeah, okay very funny.......but it is a great product and it's definetly worth looking into.

Silver
    2002 Firebird T/A - WS6

Wow- I just read the amsoil website info. Sounds fantastic.

I only drive my T/A on the weekends- or maybe once during the week too. So for us weekend drivers, I would assume that letting this synthetic sit in the engine is a lot better than regular oil with its corrosiveness.
    I have been wondering if putting a synthetic in my T/A is the best thing to do. Sounds like it is.
    For those of you using amsoil- what do you recommend? The 0W-30 or the 5W-30? Or ...? The Build list for the 2002 lists the 0W, 5W, and 10W.
    And- is the first-time flush really necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Waynestep
    Wow- I just read the amsoil website info. Sounds fantastic.

I only drive my T/A on the weekends- or maybe once during the week too. So for us weekend drivers, I would assume that letting this synthetic sit in the engine is a lot better than regular oil with its corrosiveness.
    I have been wondering if putting a synthetic in my T/A is the best thing to do. Sounds like it is.
    For those of you using amsoil- what do you recommend? The 0W-30 or the 5W-30? Or ...? The Build list for the 2002 lists the 0W, 5W, and 10W.
    And- is the first-time flush really necessary?
    I use the MFG recommended 5W-30 in my 2000 WS-6. The 0W-30 is about $2.00 more per quart and I can't justify spending the extra cash when you consider that the quality of the 5W-30 is so good that it is rated for 25K miles between changes. (The 0w-30 is rated at 35k miles) Both will provide incomparable lubricating benefits over other brands. Oh yeah........the flush is only recommended if you have been using petroleum based motor oil for 100k miles or more.
    Last edited by Ponti-MANIac; 03-20-2006 at 07:37 AM.

Thread Information