Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Changed fuel filter and threw codes

I had my fuel filter changed at the dealer this morning and on the ride home my ses light came on. I stopped at Autozone and had the code read and it was running lean left and right bank. Any suggestions ? (dealer will be closed by the time I make it back to their location)

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

I dont think the fuel filter would have caused that code

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I don't think so either but it was just the coincidence of driving home from the dealer and the ses light coming on.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

It is most likely a coincidense. Lean on both bank can indicate low fuel pressure, faulty MAF sensor, loose air intake ducting after the MAF (unmetered air entering the engine), big vacuum leak(it would have to be somewhat centerly located to affect both banks), multiple restricted fuel injectors, bad gas or contaminated fuel, exhaust leaks near both o2 sensors. Thats about all I can come up with right now.

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

maybe they kinked the fuel line

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Sounds like they put it on backwards thus restricting fuel flow....there is a arrow for proper installation showing you the direction of flow...

light grey
    1978 Volvo 242GT

Wow...all your people are way above my pay grade. Thank you for the info. I was just going to say maybe they hung the wrong fuel filture and you have/had a fuel pressure/flow incapability. Now I understand lots of other things could be going on. Best guess is that it is something related to the filture change, but beyond that, I haven't a clue. Thanks again for the additonal information.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Yep ! Mr. Master mechanic screwed up . I'd have it towed back to the dealer. Don't think Id risk burning a piston.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

wow. That's .....umm... wow. I was gonna say, if it's the right way, disconnect the negative battery cable for 5 minutes to clear your fuel trim adaptives. But the backwards filter, damn

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Ahhh that backwards filter. Good call. Most filters can't be installed backwards but I did run into that once on an old Vortec Escalade. Man that thing threw for a loop for quite a while. I though the cats were plugged. But it turned out the fuel pressure dropped under load and made the thing sluggish. Finally figured out the fuel filter was on backwards. Never thought that would make a difference but it did on that truck. But those Vortec's are extremely fuel pressure sensitive.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Sounds like they put it on backwards thus restricting fuel flow....there is a arrow for proper installation showing you the direction of flow...

Sarge,

You hit the nail on the head!! Damn I wish I could find a reputable LS1 shop in the Nashville area. I took it back to the dealer this morning and the service manager tried to talk me into a diagnostic check I told him to fix whatever he fucked up Sat morning. I walked around the lot looking at the overpriced G8's and made a beeline for the exit overhead door to the service dept. I was talking to the guy working on my car when the service mgr walked back to inform me that insurance regs would not permit me to be in that area or talk to any techs. The old salty dog retired Sea Bee working on my car was cussing the "cock kissing dip shit" who installed the filter backwards !! He had a few choice words for the service manager too. I'm going to look him up and see if he does anywork on the side. Thanks Sarge !!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Yep ! Mr. Master mechanic screwed up . I'd have it towed back to the dealer. Don't think Id risk burning a piston.
    swaping out fuel filters is easy...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Tony180a View Post
    Sarge,

You hit the nail on the head!! Damn I wish I could find a reputable LS1 shop in the Nashville area. I took it back to the dealer this morning and the service manager tried to talk me into a diagnostic check I told him to fix whatever he fucked up Sat morning. I walked around the lot looking at the overpriced G8's and made a beeline for the exit overhead door to the service dept. I was talking to the guy working on my car when the service mgr walked back to inform me that insurance regs would not permit me to be in that area or talk to any techs. The old salty dog retired Sea Bee working on my car was cussing the "cock kissing dip shit" who installed the filter backwards !! He had a few choice words for the service manager too. I'm going to look him up and see if he does anywork on the side. Thanks Sarge !!
    serisously do that... that is the guy who takes pride in doing his work and does it the right way... plus you can probably pay him in beer...

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

i dont see how it can be installed backwards there are 2 diffrent connections on each end of the filter (on my car atleast) making it impossible to install backwards. one is a clip on or press on the other end is a threaded fitting and the fuel lines arent long enough to reach the oppisite ends. i just did mine in my driveway so im positive. is 1999 diffrent?

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by twozs View Post
    i dont see how it can be installed backwards there are 2 diffrent connections on each end of the filter (on my car atleast) making it impossible to install backwards. one is a clip on or press on the other end is a threaded fitting and the fuel lines arent long enough to reach the oppisite ends. i just did mine in my driveway so im positive. is 1999 diffrent?

Thats what I was thinking unless you weld the bitch on there the wrong way it only installs one way which is the correct way.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Thats what I was thinking unless you weld the bitch on there the wrong way it only installs one way which is the correct way.
    weldin and fuel lines???? um no

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Only a General Motors certified ASE mechanic is incompetent enough to force a fuel filter on a vehicle backwards . Absolutely priceless . Now everybody should know the REAL reason shops don't want customers in the garage area . They might see that SAE certified mechanic fuckin-up your vehicle . Now thats rich !

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I have a 1999 ls1 and it uses the same fuel filter as every other year. One end has the plastic clip and the other end is threaded.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Whoa there Mr. Z Roadster!! Careful there or you might hurt my feelings . B4 we jump to conclusions here, its actually NOT possible to install the Fuel Filter on backwards on a '99 F-body. One side is a threaded nut and the other is a plastic quick connect fitting. Its really not at all possible. So this good cop, bad cop routine the 2nd technician was playing is complete BS.
    So Tony180a, whats the story here???

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    weldin and fuel lines???? um no

=

Thread Information