rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

change oil light

ever since it's gotten really cold whenever I turn on my car my change oil light comes up, and then after about a minute it goes away. Is this because the cold is causing the oil to be slightly thicker until it warms up(unlikely since oil has a very low freezing point) or do I just need to change my oil? It's been 3500 miles since my last oil change, 10w-30 synthetic

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Id say oil change, if you go to a dealer they should reset that sensor after every oil change but if you do it yourself like me, well you cant. When it comes on like that, just turn the key to the on position and simply hold down the oil reset/trip button on the overlay until it goes off. You should be good to go.

Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

that's what it does when the oil life is at it's end. once the oil life monitor says it's fully gone then it will light and stay lit.

on a percentage meter you are in the 0% to 10% oil life remaining. once it gets to 0% it will stay on all the time.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    Id say oil change, if you go to a dealer they should reset that sensor after every oil change but if you do it yourself like me, well you cant. When it comes on like that, just turn the key to the on position and simply hold down the oil reset/trip button on the overlay until it goes off. You should be good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmi7769 View Post
    that's what it does when the oil life is at it's end. once the oil life monitor says it's fully gone then it will light and stay lit.

on a percentage meter you are in the 0% to 10% oil life remaining. once it gets to 0% it will stay on all the time.
    thanks that's what I needed to know. Normally I change my oil at about this time, but i've never had the light come on when using normal oil. But this is the first time I used synthetic and the light came on. Is it normal for synthetic to last just 3500 miles? my understanding was that it should last longer than normal oil

Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

Mine usually lights up at around 6000 miles or yearly whichever happens first.
    I use penzoil platinum but I don't think it matters what kind of oil you use. I think the oil life monitor just judges the life based on driving and not by any measurement taken of the actual oil.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yeah your car isn't smart enough to know if you put synthetic or conventional oil or water in the oil pan. Its all a mathematical equation based on driving habits and sensor inputs. Its basically a joke. Just change your oil every 3000 miles or whatever you're comfortable with.

Thread Information