White
    1998 Trans Am

CEL on first day out!

so today got up to 60 so i had to go and break the TA out of storage for a cruise session. after about an hour and a half of driving i took a corner kinda quick (the back end didn't break lose or anything so not that fast) and i got a CEL!!!! haven't had the car long and wondered if there were any common things i could check out before i took it to the dealership, it's driving fine, popped the hood, everything looks, sounds and smells fine, so i'm assuming its pry some stupid sensor...any ideas?

Have the code read/cleared free at somewhere like Autozone and post it - dealers around here charge WAY too much for a "diagnostic fee."

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

what is a CEL?-SES light? If that's the case-like was suggested get it read and cleared.Check your gas cap for tightness-it needs to click like 3 times-most common cause of lites.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Most likely it will clear itself if it is running fine. I've had asimilar problem in the past and was told it could just be the EGR valve stuck closed but after everything heated up real good it fixed itself.

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
    Have the code read/cleared free at somewhere like Autozone and post it - dealers around here charge WAY too much for a "diagnostic fee."
    When you take the car to the dealership, they don't just pull the code, give it to you and send you on your merry way...they are actually diagnosing faulty components. SES lights won't tell you exactly what is wrong with the car, it just directs you to a problem area, or a sensor that is reading erratically. It is up to the technician to use their knowledge & mechanical skills to find the root of the problem. The diagnostic fee is there to ensure the technician will be compensated for his work...how fair would it be for them to spend two hours finding the problem only for you to decline any repairs?

The SES light could be on for 1,000 reasons and it has nothing to do with the fact that you took a sharp turn. Have the code pulled and get back to us.

YEAH! what she said

Thread Information