Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Catch can VS. Ls6pcv

I would like some help with some info. I have a 99T-A and have a oil leak somewhare and was doing some reading and see it could be a few things from sending unit to rear seal. In my research I came across the Ls6 conversion and the catch can unit. My ??? is this will the catch can do the same as the Ls6 conversion and can I do the catch can for now to help with crank case pressure? I don't want to tear into the motor now summer's almost here!!

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

in my opinion, the best option to go for, not only to keep crankcase pressure and blowby under controll, but to clean up the engine is to use a catch can in cunjuction with the LS6 valley cover conversion. there are lots of people with one or the other, i opted for both and love it.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sutie View Post
    in my opinion, the best option to go for, not only to keep crankcase pressure and blowby under controll, but to clean up the engine is to use a catch can in cunjuction with the LS6 valley cover conversion. there are lots of people with one or the other, i opted for both and love it.
    did you noticed if your idle got better?

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

Idols much better, went from 500 to a consistent 800. No surging.
    LS1, SLP lid, SLP MAF, bilstein HP shocks, SLP longtube/tuned headers and loudmouth exhaust, built 4L60E w/ transgo shift kit, true ram air, ported TB, LS6 intake, LS6 PCV w/ catch can, FAST fuel rails, LCRB, sub-frame connectors, wide-band O2.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Idols much better, went from 500 to a consistent 800. No surging.
    thats the problem i got with mine it surges, not too bad but I replace the hoses and check for leaks and nothing. I will consider doing this mod now. Thanks.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I'm telling you Jay it's worth it.

In regards to my idle, mine still idles at 1k rpm. Not sure why, I've adjust my idle screw and it has come down from 1200 rpm. I can't take anymore out. But it does idle smoother since the mod has been do.

I need to find a way to verify what the tach is reading.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I'm telling you Jay it's worth it.

In regards to my idle, mine still idles at 1k rpm. Not sure why, I've adjust my idle screw and it has come down from 1200 rpm. I can't take anymore out. But it does idle smoother since the mod has been do.

I need to find a way to verify what the tach is reading.
    lol are you a reading my mind? I just PM you asking about it lol

Navy Blue Metallic

^^

I had long ass post for the op about the benefits of the LS6 VCT mod and catch can, but I see it didn't post. Now I have to try to remember all that I typed.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

all right im doing this mod. Im reading the thread about it to make sure of everything I need. Did you got the KS's and KS harness as well? i need to get all the part number together

Silver

Iam not sure my ? was answered alot of talk about other things any help please post, I will check back.. Any thoughts on the best can??

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    ^^

I had long ass post for the op about the benefits of the LS6 VCT mod and catch can, but I see it didn't post. Now I have to try to remember all that I typed.
    I would like to here some more

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    Iam not sure my ? was answered alot of talk about other things any help please post, I will check back.. Any thoughts on the best can??
    A Can will not do the same as the ls6 by itself, but will help a lot! Both are great mods, they just compliment each other well. I use a can from ws6 store, another good one is from ky speed, a site sponsor.

Silver

A Can will not do the same as the ls6 by itself, but will help a lot! Both are great mods, they just compliment each other well. I use a can from ws6 store, another good one is from ky speed, a site sponsor.
    Thanks for the info, I plan on the ws6 upgread for now just want to enjoy and keep the wife happy not to see my new toy all ripped appart can ya hear me!!

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

haha, you have to ease her into it...sometimes its best not to tell her. its easier to ask for forgivness then to ask for permision. oh, and hide your reciepts!!

Navy Blue Metallic

OP here's what I tried to post earlier

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    I would like to here some more
    I hope this can answer your questions:

Our cars have a crappy PCV system that over time can cause oil/vacuum leaks. IMHO GM screwed the pooch (<us) by using this is a POS PCV system and on top of it, over charging us ($85-$140 depending on where you get it) for when you need to replace it.

The PCV setup runs from the rear of the driver’s side valve cover behind the intake where it splits, one tube goes to the passenger valve cover the other comes along the passenger side of the intake into the PCV valve then into your intake. In the pics below you can see where it cracks and leaks.

Pic below shows the quick fix for the PCV, it is in the Tech Section)

You can spend the $85-$100 to get OEM that will in time need to be replaced again or you can do this:

Part #: VCT - 12577927

LS6 VCT (Valley Cover tray mod) with a catch can. Some like it some don't. This is not a performance mod but it does help get the oil out of the intake. It deletes the PCV tubing and puts the PCV under the VCT and moves the outlet port to the front of the engine underneath the TB. It moves the PCV away from a direct source of oil (valve covers) and moves it underneath the VCT. It still relives the crank case pressure, just doesn’t force as much oil into the PCV.

This mod cost about $58-$75 for the VCT and about 2-3 hrs of time. The catch can goes for $50-$220 depending on what you want for style and function. Some get twin catch cans, bigger, smaller; meaning you have options.

Catch can – its function is to filter the air/oil mix that blows by the PCV. By design, GM had the blow by go into the intake and then it would burn off. However most of the time it clings to the intake and over time begins to rob it of air flow and gunk up the pistons and such.

In the pic below it's been about 6 weeks since I did the LS6 VCT and installed a Catch Can.

I wanted to see how much oil it had caught. I drained it into a cup and was a little surprise by just how much oil I had.

Prior to this mod I had to use a ¼ quart of oil every month. It’s been over 2 months and I’ve yet had a “check oil” light come on.

Couple of more things to think about when doing the LS6 VCT mod or an intake swap:

The OPSU is the tall plastic piece that is sticking up with the green cap.

(you can also see in this pic just how much oil was getting by the OEM PCV. This pic was taken prior to me doing the LS6 VCT mod. My LS1 Intake also had as much oil on the inside.)

These can get brittle and break over time. Also when you are messing with the intake most first timers break it because they don't know it's there. These can leak quite a bit of oil. Signs of this are oil coming down the backside of the engine over the bell housing. It is commonly mistaken for a rear main seal leak.

99’-02’ Knock Sensors – 98’ and older GM is no longer making, If you’re like me you will need to upgrade to the 99’-02’ KS sensors (x2) and wire harness. Even if you have a 99’-02’ KS it is still a good idea to replace them. Remember it’s better to do it now while you have everything off then have to come back later.

Part #’s”
    KS (x2) - 12589867
    KS harness – 12601822

Hope this helps.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

haha, you have to ease her into it...sometimes its best not to tell her. its easier to ask for forgivness then to ask for permision. oh, and hide your reciepts!!
    My tactic is to take on a handful of items on the "honey do" list the weekend I order the parts, then explain as they come in that next weekend is work on the car weekend. Has worked so far. I also practice "if it's worn out or broken upgrade it".

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

nicely done, i do the same thing!

Silver

Very cool, This is my first toy like this I always had bikes she did not pay to much attention!!Iam sure it all works the same

Black
    2000 SS

Runa a catch can IMO
    1967 Camaro - LS1 T56 project
    2003 Z06 - Procharged and LTs
    2001 Honda Civic EX - DD
    2005 Kawaski KFX400
    2000 Camaro SS m6 - 523rwhp 468rwtq - (Sold)

Thread Information