Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Catch Can with Breather

so i know many many many people have asked about catch cans.... well i think i figured out how to run one without having the ls6 vally cover but after looking at many threads i am unsure of my purchase. i bought a catch can with a breather on the top many others i see are all sealed my question is will i be fine with this set up with a N/A engine?

Attachment 22785

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

so i just spent a bunch of time searching and cant seem to find anything?

the only thing i can think of is to put the pcv valve after the can to prevent a "vacuum" leak from the can having a breather with the clean air side hose still hooked up that should help keep crankcase vac? correct?

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

If you're running vented, you have to seal off the intake side and only use the valley and valve cover tubes to dump into the can. If not, you're gonna probably pull unmetered air. Mr EPA doesn't like that, lol.
    Non vented, run an air/oil separator with a drain plug before the PCV valve; nothing but a tube between the pcv and intake. I used a clear one from home depot from the air compressor parts area. Worked out great!
    Last edited by Mean Green Z28; 08-09-2011 at 08:13 PM.
    I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

My Cardomain Site My Fquick site Custom Installs

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

The catch can wont work nearly as well with a breather. The intake will draw air in from the path of least resistance, which will be the filter. And any pressure build up in the cover will be lowered b/c some of it will leak out into the filter path. This all might depend on the plumbing inside of it as well, but I still feel a sealed catch can would be more efficient.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy 2-1 View Post
    If you're running vented, you have to seal off the intake side and only use the valley and valve cover tubes to dump into the can. If not, you're gonna probably pull unmetered air. Mr EPA doesn't like that, lol.
    Non vented, run an air/oil separator with a drain plug before the PCV valve; nothing but a tube between the pcv and intake. I used a clear one from home depot from the air compressor parts area. Worked out great!
    so what your saying is cap off the throttle body ports and run the tube to the valve covers and thats it?

and i work at advance auto parts and i saw we have a push on oil cap if i take off the filter and put that in its place it will pretty much be a sealed catch can and work the same correct?

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

yes and yes. Is there some sort of mesh or separator element inside that catchcan?

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

there is kinda a separator i think there is no way to take it apart

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    there is kinda a separator i think there is no way to take it apart
    good, some are empty and do nothing lol

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

heres what i got so far hopping to get it fully installed this weekend!!!

pretty much the breather is just for looks now!!!

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

haha i guess im good at jumping the gun and got it all set up i think... i had to do a lot of modifing like heating and bending the bracket on the can using an "L" bracket from lowes that i had to drill some new holes in... caping off top of catch can to seal it and using a "fake" breather!!! and all done!

let me know if something kinda looks wrong and/or your thoughts? i have to buy more line because where it runs to both of the valve covers is alittle short!
    Last edited by My00Z28; 08-11-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I can't tell from the pics. Is the can marked "IN" and "OUT" for the fittings on the side?

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I can't tell from the pics. Is the can marked "IN" and "OUT" for the fittings on the side?
    no its kind of a weird set up idk if there is any mesh in it but there is some sort of separator inside idk if it will work right and i wont know till i get oil inside the can... i hope it works i kinda jumped into buying it for the price and availability... if it doesn't work i guess ill be out a bit of money and be buying a new one lol

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I went with the Elite Engineering setup and am quite happy. I just don't get the breather on top as it would essentially defeat the purpose of the PCV system.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

thanks you just gave me an idea on how to replace my drain cock on my CC. I hate the screw release it's got on there. One thing I will do and recommend that you do with your drain valve is to put on a "safety wire" to prevent it from accidentally opening up on you and drain all your oil out.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    Click for full size
    A vented catch can is such a bad idea.

The reason of a catch can is to remove the oil before it goes into the intake. If you have a vent on the catch can, you're allowing unmetered air into the intake....BOOM, instant vacuum leak. If you look at the design of our PCV systems, you'll see one intake tube from the TB to the valve cover and out-take from the rear of the valve covers. Here is my setup:

Throttle Body -> Valve Cover and then the Valley Cover -> Catch Can -> PCV Valve -> Intake Manifold

The same amount of air going into the crankcase is coming out.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

I went with the Elite Engineering setup and am quite happy. I just don't get the breather on top as it would essentially defeat the purpose of the PCV system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    A vented catch can is such a bad idea.

The reason of a catch can is to remove the oil before it goes into the intake. If you have a vent on the catch can, you're allowing unmetered air into the intake....BOOM, instant vacuum leak.

Please read rest of the topic... i clearly have a picture of the vent port being plugged for the reasons you guys are stating and state that it is pretty much just for looks now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    thanks you just gave me an idea on how to replace my drain cock on my CC. I hate the screw release it's got on there. One thing I will do and recommend that you do with your drain valve is to put on a "safety wire" to prevent it from accidentally opening up on you and drain all your oil out.
    ya thats why i got rid of mine and thats a good idea that would be bad if it opened while driving lol!

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    If you look at the design of our PCV systems, you'll see one intake tube from the TB to the valve cover and out-take from the rear of the valve covers. Here is my setup:
    Click for full size

Throttle Body -> Valve Cover and then the Valley Cover -> Catch Can -> PCV Valve -> Intake Manifold

ya i wish i had an LS6 VC but i have to use my valve cover pcv ports till i get one its a much cleaner look with the LS6 VC

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I read what you did and studied the pics before I posted. My comment was simply voicing my bafflement at the design of the can and nothing more. Damn nice work plugging the vent opening btw.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

I read what you did and studied the pics before I posted. My comment was simply voicing my bafflement at the design of the can and nothing more. Damn nice work plugging the vent opening btw.
    o ya i picked it up at a local store and then found out that being N/A that a breather would mess stuff up of it working correctly... the filler cap i was going to use was too small then i found a freeze plug that fit perfectly in the filter hole so i put some silicon on it to seal it up and used the filter just for looks!!!! and Thanks...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

you know that every time you have the hood open for shows you're going to be asked about that filter every time.

Thread Information