Thread: catch can

Pewter
    '00 SS

catch can

this may be a dumb question but i am learning as i go. is a recirculating/overflow catch can what i need for the pcv situation?

Pewter
    '00 SS

also what is the difference between a 7 or 16lb. radiator cap

White
    '02 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by kenro23 View Post
    this may be a dumb question but i am learning as i go. is a recirculating/overflow catch can what i need for the pcv situation?
    More a filter/precipitation can so that oil condenses out of the gases drawn into the intake.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Quote Originally Posted by SSnow View Post
    More a filter/precipitation can so that oil condenses out of the gases drawn into the intake.
    where can i find one? i am looking at a jegs magazine but online it doesnt show one for my car. does it need to be a certain type to fit my car?

White
    '02 Camaro SS

where can i find one? i am looking at a jegs magazine but online it doesnt show one for my car. does it need to be a certain type to fit my car?
    Do a search here you'll find the link. Here is a link to a good guy that sponsors the forum.
    http://kyspeed.com/index.php?main_pa...d6be9fce0c33ae
    Last edited by SSnow; 03-03-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Pewter
    '00 SS

how do i do that?

White
    '02 Camaro SS

also what is the difference between a 7 or 16lb. radiator cap
    The difference is the pressure that it hold the coolant system to before releasing it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

what ever catch can you get you need it to have this type of design for the internals.

It needs to be able to filter air/oil mix. Most cans have a steel wool in them. As the air/oil flow through the steel wool it grabs the oil. Then the oil drips and collects on the bottom of the can.

Here's what mine looks like.

Installed

You will have a better benefit from a catch can if you install a LS6 Valley Tray in addition. What this does is removes the crappy PCV from around the back of the engine and around the passenger side of the intake. The new tray has an internal PCV system developed for the LS6 and routes it to the front of the engine underneath the TB like so:

Better view of both

White
    '02 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    what ever catch can you get you need it to have this type of design for the internals. Click for full size

It needs to be able to filter air/oil mix. Most cans have a steel wool in them. As the air/oil flow through the steel wool it grabs the oil. Then the oil drips and collects on the bottom of the can.

Click for full size

Installed
    Click for full size

You will have a better benefit from a catch can if you install a LS6 Valley Tray in addition. What this does is removes the crappy PCV from around the back of the engine and around the passenger side of the intake. The new tray has an internal PCV system developed for the LS6 and routes it to the front of the engine underneath the TB like so:

Click for full size

Better view of both

Click for full size
    Nice write up!
    By the way you better get that car out and run it. your water pump pully is all rusty.

Navy Blue Metallic

she runs every week end and then some. Where I live it rains more here then any place in the US. Surprisingly I get very little rust.

I looked back at the pic and that spot was from a leak I had fixed.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    what ever catch can you get you need it to have this type of design for the internals. Click for full size

Click for full size

Installed
    Click for full size

Click for full size

Better view of both

Click for full size

where can i get the stuff you are talking about from?

Navy Blue Metallic

Catch Can I order from WS6Store for $105. There are many others. KYSpeed sells them and a couple of others do so as well. It comes down to your taste. Ebay has a couple of them too, but I'll have to PM the link to you if you want it.

The LS6 Valley Tray I order from gmpartsdirect.com (Sponsor)

The Part Number is 12577927 COVER, cost me $54.65 plus shipping.

Ever where else it's in the 70's.

You might also want to order a OPSU. It becomes brittle over the years of heat cycles and it doesn't take much to snap it. OPSU sits right behind the intake and the hose that attaches the break booster and the intake sits right behind it. When you go to remove the intake take car with that hose because it will snap the OPSU if you pull hard enough. If you do this mod, PM me and I'll send you all the sticky links to this subject. If you want to look ahead of time they are in the Tech Stickies in this section. To replace this valley cover tray it took me about 4 hrs with a buddy because I took my time. If you have the LS6 block already then you can cut that time down by half.

9.62/140

I made my own out of a 7-8 in long piece of 3 in diam exhaust pipe. Welded a bottom plate one it, top plate with a bung for the K&N breather filter & bungs for the the hoses from both valve covers. Just an empty space inside, no filters or anything. Been on the car several years & works good. Has a petcock at the bottom to drain.

Thread Information