Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

cars takes 2 times to start

When I go to start my car for the first time in the morning, it will always fire up right away. However, when the car is warm or sometimes its not even that warm, I will go to start it, it will just turn over, so I turn key back try again and it will fire up right away. Its like sometimes its not getting enough gas the first time. It never takes more than 2 times. Any ideas on what this may be? Thank you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

have you checked your fuel pressure at the rail? Try to cycle the key on and off 2-3 times before starting it that first time and see if it starts the first time.

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Are there any mods?

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

And as stated above, check the pressure at the rail...

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

Iv only had the car out for about a month. I bought it from states in Feb, and then stored it until April 19th so I dont know when the fuel filter was changed. If it was plugged wouldnt the car have no balls? Cause it sure does. When you turn the key on and then off and then back on, it seems to fix the problem. It like its not getting enough gas sometime on the first turn of the key. As for the mods, ported and de-screened MAF, slp catback, the tb by pass. Please let me know what I should do first. How do you check fuel rail pressure? Thanks.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

go to any parts store and buy a fuel pressure gauge (~$20). On the drivers side fuel rail there's a plastic cap you take off that has a schrader valve underneath it ( looks kinda like a valve stem). Hook the gauge up to it and turn the key on and see what pressure you're seeing and that it holds that pressure. I think it should be ~58 psi. If less than that or not holding pressure I'd say your pump or regulator is bad or going bad.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    go to any parts store and buy a fuel pressure gauge (~$20). On the drivers side fuel rail there's a plastic cap you take off that has a schrader valve underneath it ( looks kinda like a valve stem). Hook the gauge up to it and turn the key on and see what pressure you're seeing and that it holds that pressure. I think it should be ~58 psi. If less than that or not holding pressure I'd say your pump or regulator is bad or going bad.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

Ok, i did an gas pressure test today and this is how it went. When I first turned the car on, the pressure went to 56 psi then quickly down to 25 psi then slowly back to zero. When the car was running it stayed at 56 psi. Book says it should be between 55 and 60 psi so i think my fuel pump is good but my fuel pressure regulator is gone or on its way out. Does anyone agree or should I do more tests? I was told that you cant buy the pressure regulator seperate, you need to buy the whole fuel pump which is almost a grand plus tax. What should I do? Thanks.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by 02cetransam View Post
    Ok, i did an gas pressure test today and this is how it went. When I first turned the car on, the pressure went to 56 psi then quickly down to 25 psi then slowly back to zero. When the car was running it stayed at 56 psi. Book says it should be between 55 and 60 psi so i think my fuel pump is good but my fuel pressure regulator is gone or on its way out. Does anyone agree or should I do more tests? I was told that you cant buy the pressure regulator seperate, you need to buy the whole fuel pump which is almost a grand plus tax. What should I do? Thanks.
    If doesn't hold pressure which it needs to then I would say nyou regulator is bad. You can do a little more by jumping the fuel pump relay to turn the pump on again.... But if pressure falls right back off then the regulator is bad cause it's not holding the pressure it is just letting it return.

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

Do you know if you can just buy a regulator?

Pewter
    02 WS-6 w/ Ram Air

Why, if you are going to take the time and expence to drop the tank would you want to change just the reg. even if you could by it sep.? You would only regret it later down the road and had to do it all again when the pump went bad. imo

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

Do the fuel pumps on these cars commonly fail?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I don't know if I would say commonly but it's not uncommon.

Red
    2002 T/A

Sounds like a cam sensor issue. If your PCM can't tell whether your engine is on the exhaust stroke or compression stroke(which is the cam sensor's job) it will guess and try both firing sequences until your car starts. Hope this helps.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_TA_2002 View Post
    Sounds like a cam sensor issue. If your PCM can't tell whether your engine is on the exhaust stroke or compression stroke(which is the cam sensor's job) it will guess and try both firing sequences until your car starts. Hope this helps.
    I don't think a bad cam sensor would cause it to NOT hold the required fuel pressure for the injectors.
    Maybe you missed that though.......

Red
    2002 T/A

You're right. Didn't read every reply. Bad check valve on fuel pump or bad regulator sorry. Pinch the return hose on the reg when checking fuel pressure. If it still bleeds down then it is probably the check valve on the pump or a seriously leaky injector, but i doubt it's the injector.
    Last edited by LS1_TA_2002; 05-12-2007 at 11:10 PM. Reason: typo

Red
    2002 T/A

GM pumps are infamous for failing.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_TA_2002 View Post
    Your right. Didn't read every reply. Bad check valve on fuel pump or bad regulator sorry. Pinch the return hose on the reg when checking fuel bressure. If it still bleeds down then it is probably the check valve on the pump or a seriously leaky injector, but i doubt it's the injector.
    No biggie I used to do that all the time.
    Now I make sure to atleast scan the replys for ANY posts by the original member that started the thread.

Black
    97 Trans AM

my car kinda does the the samething it will turn over like 2 or 3 times befor it will start do i have the same problem

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by 97Trans_AM View Post
    my car kinda does the the samething it will turn over like 2 or 3 times befor it will start do i have the same problem
    I would say that is the cause on your issue also.

black
    1999 Trans Am

Same thing happened to my '98 WS6. Took two times to start. Dealer told me it was the pump, but it wasn't, it was the regulator. You have two choices.

1. Change the whole pump assembly with a new one from a parts store. You get a new pump and and regulator.
    2. Get together with a good mechanic that knows about LS1's or knows someone who does and change out the regulator itself. It can be done because that's what my mechanic did to mine.

Thread Information