Red
    2001 ws6

cars dead, any suggestions?

tonight i washed and waxed my car in a parking lot where i work so no shit falling from trees etc. would get on the car, on the way home the car was extremley hesitant, in first gear she didnt want to go above 3k RPM at WOT. At 3k RPM the car would start to bogg itself down. I put the car in neutral (m6) and the car on its own went up to 2500 RPM, screaming the exhaust then back down to 1k RPM, then back to 2500 RPM then back down, all this in neutral. I finally get the car home like this and i tell my dad. He drives it and of course it doesnt do anything at first and he tells me im a moron haha. Then it starts to bogg for him also. As we start to go home at 25 MPH the car shuts off and now i cant get it to start. Any ideas? MAF? Fuel pump? when you try to start the car again it starts for a second but cant hold the rpm and shuts off.
    any advice it appreciated
    -Dan

red
    2000 Camaro SS

I would start by checking the connections to your battery sometimes they get corroded.

Red
    2001 ws6

anyone?? the car starts for about .5 seconds but cant sustain RPM's and dies

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

Cuz, check ur blinker fluid.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

Maf

Red
    2001 ws6

checked the MAF, seems fine although the computer threw a code for it but theres no check engine light. Would the computer throw a code since we unplugged it then plugged it back in?

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Need more info! did you wash the egine bay? what your stating sounds like two similar but diffrent problems.

Vaccum Leak or Fuel Pressure system, if your car is starting but shuts down right away can also be the theft deterent system.

But I am leaning towards a Fuel Pressure Problem, Either your pump is dying or dead, or your regulator is taking a dump.

Red
    2001 ws6

Yes i washed the car that day, not the engine bay, however, the engine bay seemed pretty dry to me. The theft deterant system is what I'm leaning toawrds, however, the car will start, it will idle (only when it wants to) but as soon as you give it gas it shuts itself down.
    Last edited by basballny2; 07-02-2008 at 08:21 PM.

Red
    2001 ws6

Someone suggested to me that it was possible that the chip in the key was no good, so i got the spare key and on the first try it started right up and ran with no problems. However, the same thing happened after a short time, in neutral the car revs itself up to 2800 RPMS then back down, boggs, hesitates. etc. The car will now start and idle but as soon as you give it gas it shuts down almost as if it has no power.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    Someone suggested to me that it was possible that the chip in the key was no good, so i got the spare key and on the first try it started right up and ran with no problems. However, the same thing happened after a short time, in neutral the car revs itself up to 2800 RPMS then back down, boggs, hesitates. etc. The car will now start and idle but as soon as you give it gas it shuts down almost as if it has no power.
    This does not sound like a theft deterrent system issue. I'd cross that possibility off of your list.

Sounds to me like a bad input sensor or possibly fuel pump or coil. See if you can keep driving it around until you get a check engine light, then you can pinpoint the problem.

Red
    2001 ws6

check engine light finally came on tonight, tomorrow my dads friend is going to come over and run it on the computer see what it comes up with.
    sounds like you hit it on the money though, i had to keep driving it around until the engine light came on. Ill let you guys know what the computer comes up with.
    Thanks for the help

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

dont keep us waitng J/K we just want to help! Cant stand seeing an F-body out of commission.

Red
    2001 ws6

my dads friend came back to my house today and ran it on the computer, this time with the service engine light on, came back with MAF. Were going to change it and it he works he said hell send it back because if it is the MAF i would get an aftermarket performance one. Any suggestions on a good aftermarket MAF? Hopefully that is the problem but until we test it we dont know.
    Thanks again for the help
    Ill let you know if thats what it was

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

my dads friend came back to my house today and ran it on the computer, this time with the service engine light on, came back with MAF. Were going to change it and it he works he said hell send it back because if it is the MAF i would get an aftermarket performance one. Any suggestions on a good aftermarket MAF? Hopefully that is the problem but until we test it we dont know.
    Un fortunately I dont know much about AEM MAF's but I de-screened mine and cut the center piece off with my dremel. bigg time difrence there! bro.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I personally would just put a stocker back on there. I see to many people with issues after jacking around with the MAF. Unless you can tune for it I would just keep it stock.

Red
    2001 ws6

changed the MAF with a stocker (for now) car seems to be running good. The granalti(sp) ones come for an extra 10 bucks tuned for a CAI. Would you guys recomend that or getting a stocker and cutting and dremelling it?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

changed the MAF with a stocker (for now) car seems to be running good. The granalti(sp) ones come for an extra 10 bucks tuned for a CAI. Would you guys recomend that or getting a stocker and cutting and dremelling it?
    Get the stock GM MAF. It doesn't become a restriction until you're really high up in the HP numbers. All the aftermarket MAFs seem to cause issues, running lean, rich, tuning issues, ect.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

Thread Information