Thread: carb on LS1

yellow
    1998 Trans AM WS6

carb on LS1

Does anyone have experience w/ the edelbrock carbureted intake for the LS1? Is there enough room to put a carb on an intake w/o modifying the hood or firewall? Any particular problems assoc w/ installation and tuning? Driving impressions?

black
    2002 WS6

First question is why would you want to run a carb?

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

cheaper to get HPTuners.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

thats just taking a step back. It would make some sense if you were droping it in a first gen or second gen but even then I dont think it would be worth it. Bottom line Keep the Multi Point injection! My .02

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by track 'bird View Post
    Does anyone have experience w/ the edelbrock carbureted intake for the LS1? Is there enough room to put a carb on an intake w/o modifying the hood or firewall? Any particular problems assoc w/ installation and tuning? Driving impressions?

Have never tried myself but i think its safe to say you would need a cowl hood to clear intake carb and filter. Seen the test comparisons and the carb with edelbrock intake setup was actually making more power than stock injection system on stockish ls1, although you would be sacrificing drivability, throttle response, consistancy, tuning accuracy, low end torque and mileage. Most guys that do it is because they dont want to swap harness in a retrofit application. I've seen many setups with that carb style intake with a custom efi setup using a 90 degree elbow and large throttle body to flow more than stock.

yellow
    1998 Trans AM WS6

My engine is cutting out at about 5200 rpm when under load. I'm having trouble locating the cause, even w/ professional help. I thought I could bypass the computer to eliminate the wiring harness as a source.
    I do have a spare LS1 that I am considering dropping in an RX7 or 944, so I figured the carb intake wouldn't go to waste. Wanted to see if anyone here has made the swap first.
    Either setup would be for racing application exclusively. See my car:
    http://www.pbase.com/ray645/image/79189883

black
    2002 WS6

If its going to purely a track car, then carb would be the way to go for tunablilty and flow numbers. Looked at the picture. I see you road race it, then EFI probably better since there is no fuel bowls to slosh around.

If its consitantly cutting out at 5200RPM under load it could be a fuel starvation issue. Any way you can log the data from a run?

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by track 'bird View Post
    My engine is cutting out at about 5200 rpm when under load. I'm having trouble locating the cause, even w/ professional help. I thought I could bypass the computer to eliminate the wiring harness as a source.
    I do have a spare LS1 that I am considering dropping in an RX7 or 944, so I figured the carb intake wouldn't go to waste. Wanted to see if anyone here has made the swap first.
    Either setup would be for racing application exclusively. See my car:
    http://www.pbase.com/ray645/image/79189883
    why would anyone use a carb with all the tuning capabilities of efi,carbs are antiques,with the abilities to tune each cylinder with efi and the engine gets monitored by the widebands,hands down efi.I hate the idea of all the electronics but they work if you have the right guy tuning it .
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Thread Information