Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Car wont start at random times

My car has been acting funny lately and not starting at random times hot or cold. The other day i drove it around fine then stopped at the gas station to get a drink and a snack and came back out and it would not start. Today i woke up to go to work and it wont start. I checked the battery it has voltage and everything on the dash comes on. Its not the VATS because i did that awhile back. It doesnt even try to start its just like trying to start the car without pushing the clutch in.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    My car has been acting funny lately and not starting at random times hot or cold. The other day i drove it around fine then stopped at the gas station to get a drink and a snack and came back out and it would not start. Today i woke up to go to work and it wont start. I checked the battery it has voltage and everything on the dash comes on. Its not the VATS because i did that awhile back. It doesnt even try to start its just like trying to start the car without pushing the clutch in.
    If the car is not even cranking then try these, okay i know you did VATS bypass, is the security light flashing? if not then its not VATS. If it is flashing you need to check the resistor to make sure is good or not making good contact. If you have a M6 you can check the clutch switch. I believe you can get a code when is faulty.

It could also be your starter solenoid going bad, the starter relay or ignition switch. you can troubleshoot these but the problem has to be in effect. next time it happens get under the car and with a voltmeter or test light check for 12v at the small starter wire (solenoid) and have someone try to crank the car. If you see 12v or the test light lights up the the starter solenoid is bad.

To check the clutch switch simply unplug the conector to it and put a small wire to make a bypass. If the car starts then switch is bad.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

its not the vats. it might be the starter problems you named. I think it might be the clutch switch honestly.. how exactly do i make that bypass?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

its not the vats. it might be the starter problems you named. I think it might be the clutch switch honestly.. how exactly do i make that bypass?
    Check the cluth switch and starter and let us know.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i checked the starter and as soon as i put it on there it read 12 and i had my dad try to start it and the voltage didnt change. so does that mean my starter is gone?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i checked the starter and as soon as i put it on there it read 12 and i had my dad try to start it and the voltage didnt change. so does that mean my starter is gone?
    If you are seeing 12v at the small wire when your dad turn the switch to "start" means that the whole starting electrical part that comes from the switch is working. If you have 12v at the big stater wire that comes from the battery then yes the starter is bad. You can alos grab a screw driver and briefly touch the 2 bolts wre the big wires connect. Do this briefly don't let the car car actually start. If you hear the car crank then the solenoid is bad.

Most likely if you have 12v at the small wire the starter is the problem. Check the ground wire as well and make sure is clean.

Do you have the problem right now? If the car is cranking fine then you cant really tell that the starter is the issue yet. You have to do the test when the car won't crank.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

im sry i miss the clutch switch part. Disconnect the plug from the switch and get a small piece of wire and stick it inside the electrical connect from the wire. The small wire acts like the switch is on oall the time and the car will start if the switch is bad.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

it wont crank it hasnt been able to start for all of today... i put the multimeter on the big red wire that i could see that goes to the starter and it read 12v the whole time my dad tried starting it...

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

ok heres the deal. With the key in the on position i put my multimeter on the small wire and on the starter ground. I get no reading.
    I put it on the big wire and on the starter ground, i get no reading. But if i put the ground up on the transmission or a different ground source i get a 12v reading.
    If i do the same for the small wire i get no reading.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

ok heres the deal. With the key in the on position i put my multimeter on the small wire and on the starter ground. I get no reading.
    I put it on the big wire and on the starter ground, i get no reading. But if i put the ground up on the transmission or a different ground source i get a 12v reading.
    If i do the same for the small wire i get no reading.
    So you are putting one test lead on the big 12v battery cable and another on the big ground at the starter and you are not getting 12v? but if you put one test lead to ground on the chassis and one on the big 12v cable you get 12v?

The same wire will not show 12v until the key is turn to "start"? can you PM me your number?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

you need to test the small wire operation. If it does get 12v when the key is turn to start the car then you issue is that the starter ground might be open. If the small wire works fine by showing 12v when you tunr the key on then get a piece of battery cable with connectors and lose the nut on the ground wire and put the new piece of wire from the starter GROUND nut to the ground chassis. if the solenoid/starter is good the starter will crank. Your other option is to replace the starter.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

checked your starter relay?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    checked your starter relay?
    yup thats why I want him to check the small signal wire to the solenoid. if he dont have the 12v then the relay could be bad.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

another way is to just knock the shit out of the relay with the handle of a screwdriver. Least that's how dad done it. You could also swap that relay with your a.i.r. relay to test it.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    another way is to just knock the shit out of the relay with the handle of a screwdriver. Least that's how dad done it. You could also swap that relay with your a.i.r. relay to test it.
    The air pump relay is smaller, it wont fit. He can swap it with one of the fan's relays. They are the same size.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i went up to autozone and had it tested, it was bad. i just went ahead and bought a new one. I have to be at work in an hour so i needed it done asap. The car started right up after i installed the new one. Thanks for the help Jay!!!!!

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

same thing happened to my firebird, turns out, theres a little box that relays to the battery on the driver side, and if you shake it, "the little black box" it usually starts right up for me

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i went up to autozone and had it tested, it was bad. i just went ahead and bought a new one. I have to be at work in an hour so i needed it done asap. The car started right up after i installed the new one. Thanks for the help Jay!!!!!
    glad you figure it out.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

thanks jay once again. It really narrowed it down after i tested the voltage on it! Otherwise i would of been checking all kinds of shit.

Thread Information