Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Car wont charge battery.

Ok so I put a new battery in my car the other day because my old one tested bad and wouldnt take a charge, now I have a brand new battery in the car and I drove it around yesterday and it was doing fine, started about 4-5 times with no problems other than the battery never read very high readings only around 9v on the battery gauge (just above the yellow line) today I started the car twice on my way to drop it off at the shop to get it tuned and after that they had to jumpstart the car a few times and jumped it for me to get home. The car still will not charge the battery. I had the alternator tested and it checked out ok and I dont see any obvious things disconnected however I didnt get deep into it.

What else would you all recommend that I check? any specific connectors or ground wires I could have missed when I put the engine back in? it seems to me like a bad battery because before I messed up the old battery it didnt seem to have any problems holding a charge (until I drove it home with no belt and then left for cali for a month with the battery dead in the car)

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I did a little research and found that a bad starter soleniod can cause what it happening so I will be checking that out tomorrow morning but any other suggestions are welcome so I can attack it from different angles tomorrow

98 Formula
    06 duramax

do you have a multimeter? Check across the terminals with the car running. If the alternator is doing it's job it should be showing about 14.4 volts. Other than that I'd just start chasing wires.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I would do that but I am convinced it is the starter so tomorrow first thing im gunna do is jumpstart the car and disconnect the starter. I already found a new one on ebay for 60$. My car wouldnt start a couple days ago until I tapped some hot jumper cables to the starter and broke it loose. After that she fired up just fine but all the was also the start of this charging problem. I am awaiting a new timing chain cover as well. After that and I figure out this charging issue the car will be dyno tuned. it was supposed to be today but you cant tune a broken car I guess

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

While it could be the starter solenoid, it might not be. When you jumped the starter like that, you could have easily melted the fusible links... I should know, I did it to my cavalier 3 times when my starter was acting up. (the cavy is basicly the easiest motor to jump the starter on ever, I could do it in 10 seconds flat... in the dark.) I eventually replaced the links with some regular wires... but thats not really recommended. They are they to protect the alternator/battery.... but when push comes to shove a running car is a running car.

Check them out if the prob persists after you change the starter...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    While it could be the starter solenoid, it might not be. When you jumped the starter like that, you could have easily melted the fusible links... I should know, I did it to my cavalier 3 times when my starter was acting up. (the cavy is basicly the easiest motor to jump the starter on ever, I could do it in 10 seconds flat... in the dark.) I eventually replaced the links with some regular wires... but thats not really recommended. They are they to protect the alternator/battery.... but when push comes to shove a running car is a running car.

Check them out if the prob persists after you change the starter...
    good post and you may have answered a question I've had for ~ 19 years. Back when I was ~17 I had a 75 cutlass. I was out fishing and pulled off the road and hit a pot hole and the car died. I get out and popped the hood and the back of an unused bracket had shorted against the alternator. After sitting there for a while I finally walked down to the water and fished a few hours. Then when I came back up and start trying to get the car running an old man in a beat up truck pulled over to help me. I told him what happened and he got some extension cord out of his truck and ran it from the alternator ( I think, it's been a long time) to the firewall somewhere and the car fired right up. To this day I've never known what it was he did exactly. I just new the car started. I drove that car another 3-4 years like that. I'm betting he did exactly what you just said.

Thread Information