Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car torn apart

Red
    96' Camaro SS M6

Car torn apart

So my fuel pump went out and just had it replaced. My mom said she knew someone that can do it. So when i come home the back was opened up. He had cut the back open with some plyers and gotten the pump out like that. Now my car has to pretty big lines and lots of fumes going into the car. What can I do to seal the lines up and stop the fumes? ? ?

You mean they just cut an access panel above the pump on the rear deck? Cut a piece of aluminum, run a liberal amount of sealer and secure it with short sheet metal screws.

black
    1999 Trans Am

Yeah, what 2001NBMZ28 said. You might also want to check and make sure your "mechanic" didn't spill a bunch of gas on your carpet or inside the trunk while he was removing the old pump.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroskater1028 View Post
    So my fuel pump went out and just had it replaced. My mom said she knew someone that can do it. So when i come home the back was opened up. He had cut the back open with some plyers and gotten the pump out like that. Now my car has to pretty big lines and lots of fumes going into the car. What can I do to seal the lines up and stop the fumes? ? ?
    an experienced mechanic would have dropped the tank and swapped out the pump w/a new one. sure its alittle more work with having to drop the rear suspension but it's a shitload better than hacing a hole cut into your car and the problem(s) that you now face.

do what was said. prime, seal, paint over the hole, clean the carpet, etc. and don't even take it back to that guy again. who knows what me might decide to put a hole in next time other than your wallet...

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

This makes me think of those old commercials on tv where the two redneck mechanics keep asking- "can I use a hammer on that" to fix it. Sure you can use a hammer to put a battery in.

I'd go kick that guys ass and chew your mom a new ass and ask if she's buying the new carpet and if she's going to fix if for you. Just do it in a nice way to the mom, you gotta respect the parents.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Red
    96' Camaro SS M6

thanx. thats what my neighbor told me to do. Will do. And i'll go take some pics right now brb with the pics of the hole.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    I'd go kick that guys ass and chew your mom a new ass and ask if she's buying the new carpet and if she's going to fix if for you. Just do it in a nice way to the mom, you gotta respect the parents.
    Pull that crap with me you'd be out on your ass looking for a new home and have a severe limp
    NOBODY gonna talk down to MY woman, ESPECIALLY my kids!

Very common way to do the fuel pump, been recommended innumerable times on this forum
    Sounds as though he didn't seal it good enough though, you could have spent $600 to do the job by dropping the tank.
    Last edited by rbob93; 10-09-2006 at 11:12 PM.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

He wanted something fixed not new problems caused by some tard that didn't want to do things the right way. I think your taking what I said a bit the wrong way. There is nothing wrong with telling your parents that you don't like how something went down. I'd think his mom would take his side and go talk to that moron to see what he's going to do to put things how they are supposed to be if he does it right. Obviously you didn't read the end of my post or take it the right way. Then againg maybe your just a prick and don't think kids have a right to say anything no matter what. If that's the case I were your kid I would be out of your house ASAP anyway and got a car later on.

Red
    96' Camaro SS M6

having trouble uploading the pics. WIll be back with before and after results.
    Going to try the sheet metal thing right now. Later

White
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Very common way to do the fuel pump, been recommended innumerable times on this forum
    Sounds as though he didn't seal it good enough though, you could have spent $600 to do the job by dropping the tank.
    Like he said, it's a very common way and not an incorrect way to do it at all. It's a different way. Sure, you have a hole in the back of the car, but as long as it's sealed properly you don't have anything to worry about.

Oh and "going to kick the guy's ass and chewing your mom a new one" isn't exactly the same thing as "telling your parents that you don't like how something went down" now is it. I don't think anyone's arguing that children shouldn't voice their opinion to their parent(s), but they can choose to do it with respect.

It has a big wing!

Quote Originally Posted by 99_natural_beauty View Post
    Like he said, it's a very common way and not an incorrect way to do it at all. It's a different way. Sure, you have a hole in the back of the car, but as long as it's sealed properly you don't have anything to worry about.

Oh and "going to kick the guy's ass and chewing your mom a new one" isn't exactly the same thing as "telling your parents that you don't like how something went down" now is it. I don't think anyone's arguing that children shouldn't voice their opinion to their parent(s), but they can choose to do it with respect.
    Yeah thats what I was thinking..its in how you say it.

But back to the pump...There is nothing wrong with cutting an access panel in the hatch to access the pump...It will save you alot of hassles later on if the pump should go out again or it turns out not to be the pump and something else is wrong requiring you to access the pump or tank again...

My brother and I did it on his 98TA with no problems,sealed it up tightly and have had NO problems at all...no fumes,weather problems....etc...

People take short cuts all the time when working on cars...a short cut doesn't always mean that you did a bad job or got all "cheap" on the job...Although I would say that from what it sounds like,this guy messed up something...

Maybe he just spilt fuel...maybe worse!I would stop driving the car until I find out WHERE exactly the fumes are coming from and fix the problem.

Good luck and let us know how it goes man..

Red
    96' Camaro SS M6

Red
    96' Camaro SS M6

pretty bad job. so what can i do. I went out and bought two pieces of sheet metal to cover them up and i have 3m gasket sealant, but my friend told me that industrial strength cockin is better. True ? ? ? Just to stay sealed for a good while.

Yeah, that's pretty messed up. First thing is find someone with a cutting tool to cut it out larger (square) so it's flat. Then cut your sheet metal about 1" larger than the hole. Apply whatever sealant. Pre drill some holes about 2" apart and secure with SHORT sheet metal screws. eboggs at LS2 is a friend of mine, did the access panel - I'll look up the link for you.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Looks like he used a hatchet!

It has a big wing!

Man!

He like hacked the sh*t out of your car!

It should look like this...http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/index.html

I would really consider having this guy pay for damages..seriously.

Found the link, but as you can already see from the previous poster whoever did it had no idea where/how to cut. Anyway this has some closeups: http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=1792

2002 TA

What the hell do you mean what can you do? Tell your mother she better pay for it.

White
    2002 VY SS

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Looks like he used a hatchet!
    Gee go easy on the guy, you can only be so neat when swinging an axe...

Seriously though, I tent to be a bit of a neatness freak when it comes to my car. Frustrates my mates to no end. I probably would have dropped the tank, even if it meant extra time/effort.

But that wont help you now. If it was mine I would visit some wrecking yards to see if I could find the same undamaged panel and have it cut out a bit larger than the messed up area you have.

Trim it so all your ridges and perforations match up. Find some rubber edgeing to go round the outside. With some carefully selected length screws you'll have what looks like a factory fitted access cover.

-Me-

Thread Information