Artic
    2002 Z28

Car stuutering/Cutting out

Hey folks. Im having an issue with my Z and ws hoping to get some insight. Now whats going on is.. My car seems to be stuttering/cutting out as I climb through the rpms in WOT. When this is happening it feels like an electrical issue and almost feels like its cutting off for a micro second. this happens several times in a row. Originally I thought it was a bad spark plug so i went ahead and replaced them. Upon replacing them I did discover a cracked plug.. so thinking that I found the problem.. I put the new plugs in and took it for a test drive. Not only is the problem still there, but it seems to have gotten worse. I don't think its a fuel delivery issue cuz I replaced my fuel filter less than a year ago and I use injector cleaner regularly. I ordered some new MSD 8.5 wires that should be here soon. Hopefully that will help, but in the mean time I was hoping to get some input from you guys. Any input is appreciated. thanks, Mike

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

When a spark plug "cracks" or carbon tracks, it also carbon tracks the plug wire. New plug wires may solve your problem. But don't drive too much until then because the bad wire can re-carbon track the new plug and you'll keep chasing it back and forth.
    Moral of the story, replace carbon tracked plug and wire at the same time.

Artic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    When a spark plug "cracks" or carbon tracks, it also carbon tracks the plug wire. New plug wires may solve your problem. But don't drive too much until then because the bad wire can re-carbon track the new plug and you'll keep chasing it back and forth.
    I did not know that. thanks for the info. I'll try and keep her off the road... but you know how that is. It's like trying to tell a crack fiend to stop smoking crack!

blue
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

you can always pull the wires out and measure them with an ohm meter. That will tell you if you have a bad wire. Like the others mention when you change the plugs change the wires or at least check them to make sure they are not open. The MSD wires should get back in track.

Artic
    2002 Z28

So I replaced the plug wires, dumped a shit load of injector cleaner in the tank and took her for a test drive. Holy sh!t old girl feels like a different car. the stuttering is gone and boy is she fast. Raced an 02 Z06 with a few bolt ons and gave him the business! raced 3 times and had him by a car each time. made me feel like a million bucks. still got a smile on my face! thanks for everyones input

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Nice!

Thread Information