Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

Car sputtering??

My car is stumbling a bit whenever you first give it throttle. Seems to clean itself up the more throttle you give it. The SES light started to blink off and on, but never stayed on.
    Now i had it to the shop and they said the o2's are not switching like they should. He also recommended a plug/wire change since the car is 17 yrs old with original plugs/wires. I ended up putting new Bosch 13111 pre-cat O2's in, and let the car idle for a bit. I took it for a quick spin around the block and it is still puttering pretty bad at first throttle. Does it take a while for the ECU to adjust to these new o2's?
    I also cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner. Now i haven't changed the plugs/wires yet, but they are on the way. Just wondering why the car is still stumbling at low rpm. Any advice? should i just drive it a bit and let it clear up? Did the bad O2s foul my plugs?
    thanks for any feedback.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

anytime the SES light blinks, it means there is a misfire going on. the older the wires get, the more resistance they build up and the harder the coils have to work to energize and get voltage to the plugs. same with the plugs.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Agree. It sounds a lot like a misfire. O2 senders are plug and play and can be easily checked with a handheld scanner to ensure that they are functioning correctly. Recommend that you put a dab of dielectric grease in each new boot (both ends) when you install the new wires. Listen/feel for two clicks on each coil pack and one click on each plug as you install the wires.

Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

Ok guys. Thanks for the feedback. So blinking means misfire.
    I think I had in my head, as soon as I plugged those new O2's in that the car would drive better right off the bat. I'm hoping the plugs/wires correct the issue. I've read a lot of forums on changing these out. Doesn't seem fun, but it looks like if i get the stuff on the passenger side outta the way. It'll be good clearance. Thanks. gentlemen.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It is not horrible. Couple of hints -- plug torque is only 11 lb.ft. so don't go all gorilla on them. Most guys run NGK TR55 plugs which are a copper plug. You can run platinums though which have a much longer life. Remove the coil packs as a unit to give yourself some extra room (the bolt at the back of the passenger side bracket is a bit of a chore to get at), go at No. 8 from below, and be sure to pop the plastic pins that secure the cowl seal as they will shred your hands. Last tip - go get a 1-3/4" socket extension for your 3/8" ratchet. This really works well with the space you have to work in for removal of the plugs.

Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    It is not horrible. Couple of hints -- plug torque is only 11 lb.ft. so don't go all gorilla on them. Most guys run NGK TR55 plugs which are a copper plug. You can run platinums though which have a much longer life. Remove the coil packs as a unit to give yourself some extra room (the bolt at the back of the passenger side bracket is a bit of a chore to get at), go at No. 8 from below, and be sure to pop the plastic pins that secure the cowl seal as they will shred your hands. Last tip - go get a 1-3/4" socket extension for your 3/8" ratchet. This really works well with the space you have to work in for removal of the plugs.
    Thanks a bunch for the tips man. Oddly enough, i believe i have a 1-3/4 extension. So that'll be perfect then. Got AC Delco irridiums and MSD wires.
    As far as #8, I'll try to get to that one under the car. I already checked the scene out under there. Doesn't seem like a lot of room, but there's not much room topside either. I can def see the plug from the bottom, the LT headers are a pain to get around. if i can manage to squeeze my arm up there and get her loose, that'll be key.
    I'm changing them on Sunday....so I'll let ya know how the car runs.
    Thanks again.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just take your time and if you get frustrated walk away for a bit. I forgot to add that small hands are a plus.

Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

Well, it was fairly painless. New plugs/wires are in. Car seems to be running pretty darn smooth. The old wires just pulled apart when I tried pulling them off the plugs. It seemed like it was time to change those. Thanks again for the help guys.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good work!

Thread Information