Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blk
    01 Z28

Car pings for some reason...

I've noticed my car has started to ping either in low RPM's when cruising or going into high RPM's. Car is stock just K&N insert. I've been runninh 91 since I got the car plus I don't run cheap gas always 76, shell, mobile, or chevron.

Any ideas what it can be? I have a 01 Z28 A4 75,000 miles.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Sounds like cheap gas or a mix. How long has it been doing it? Try adding some injector cleaner to it and see if it goes away and wherever you filled up last avoid that gas station and go to a different one. SES light on?
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

blk
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Sounds like cheap gas or a mix. How long has it been doing it? Try adding some injector cleaner to it and see if it goes away and wherever you filled up last avoid that gas station and go to a different one. SES light on?
    J
    I don't put cheap gas only places I fill up are mobile, chevron, 76 or shell. I put in injector cleaner when I did my oil change about 1k miles ago. Was gonna try another one with next oil change. No SES light or anything.

Also (dunno if this could be part of the problem) When starting my car after it;s been sitting for a while, it takes about 5-8 seconds before it actually starts up. I have to let the fuel pressure build up then start it.
    Last edited by Ferndogg; 04-23-2010 at 03:34 PM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I am thinking weak fuel pump. Also, since you have a K&N in your car, have you cleaned the MAF sensor at all? Just a little routine maintenance.

blk
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I am thinking weak fuel pump. Also, since you have a K&N in your car, have you cleaned the MAF sensor at all? Just a little routine maintenance.
    I was also thinking weak fuel pump or fuel filter is clogging up.

No I haven't cleaned the MAF sensor yet. What should I clean it with?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Most likely you are running lean for some reason (ie low fuel pressure, dirty MAF)
    Clean MAF with this stuff. It can be found at any auto parts store

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Most likely you are running lean for some reason (ie low fuel pressure, dirty MAF)

blk
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Click for full size
    Cool thanks I'll pick some of that stuff up and clean the MAF sensor. I firgured I was running lean but I couldn't firgure out why. I'll rry this out.

Pewter
    99 z28

you sound like your having the same issue I'm having witht he car not accelerating like it should at low RPMs and when tryin to go through higher RPMs it kind of cuts off. I been having this problem before I put my K&N filter in, and once I did it only made it more noticeable... I still have to replace my fuel filter and see what that does first.

Keep us posted though.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by DVrec21 View Post
    you sound like your having the same issue I'm having witht he car not accelerating like it should at low RPMs and when tryin to go through higher RPMs it kind of cuts off. I been having this problem before I put my K&N filter in, and once I did it only made it more noticeable... I still have to replace my fuel filter and see what that does first.

Keep us posted though.
    I don't think a lil seafoam would hurt after you replace the filter. Keeps the injectors lubricated.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Another inexpensive maintenance item would be to replace the fuel filter if you never have. Does the pinging (ticking?) get louder and faster when you rev the engine up?

Is it more prominent when you first start your car when it's cold and then get quieter once the car is warmed up?

have you recently switched oil viscosity?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Ferndogg View Post
    I don't put cheap gas only places I fill up are mobile, chevron, 76 or shell. I put in injector cleaner when I did my oil change about 1k miles ago. Was gonna try another one with next oil change. No SES light or anything.

Also (dunno if this could be part of the problem) When starting my car after it;s been sitting for a while, it takes about 5-8 seconds before it actually starts up. I have to let the fuel pressure build up then start it.
    sounds like your pump is taking a dump. Check your fuel pressure after the cars been sitting for a while and see what it is.

blk
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by DVrec21 View Post

Keep us posted though.
    I don't have a problem with the car accelerating at low RPM's I also don't get cut off at high RPM's. Car runs strong just pings.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Another inexpensive maintenance item would be to replace the fuel filter if you never have. Does the pinging (ticking?) get louder and faster when you rev the engine up?

Is it more prominent when you first start your car when it's cold and then get quieter once the car is warmed up?

have you recently switched oil viscosity?
    I'm gonna change the fuel filter, that was my next step. I cleaned the MAF sensor and I'm still having the ping problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    sounds like your pump is taking a dump. Check your fuel pressure after the cars been sitting for a while and see what it is.
    I don't think it's the pump cause I don't get any cut off what's so ever. I'm gonna change the fuel filter and go from there. I was talking to my dad (mechanic for 30 years) he said it could be the valve in the fuel lines that is letting all the puressure go down after sitting for a while. So I'm gonna get that checked as well.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I don't think it's the pump cause I don't get any cut off what's so ever. I'm gonna change the fuel filter and go from there. I was talking to my dad (mechanic for 30 years) he said it could be the valve in the fuel lines that is letting all the puressure go down after sitting for a while. So I'm gonna get that checked as well.
    better known as the fuel pressure regulator...which is part of the pump assembly. Check your fuel pressure.

blk
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    better known as the fuel pressure regulator...which is part of the pump assembly. Check your fuel pressure.
    There's a valve that is in the engine bay, it's connected to the fuel lines, and rail. He said it could be that valve that is letting all the pessure go. He's having the same problem on an Astro van he hs.
    Last edited by Ferndogg; 04-27-2010 at 11:14 AM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

There's a valve that is in the engine bay, it's connected to the fuel lines, and rail. He said it could be that valve that is letting all the pessure go. He's having the same problem on an Astro van he hs.
    That 'valve' on the fuel rail isn't a fuel pressure regulator, like the Astro van guy thinks. Its actually a fuel pulse dampener (er something like that). The actual fuel pressure regulator is built into the fuel pump module in the gas tank.

blk
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    That 'valve' on the fuel rail isn't a fuel pressure regulator, like the Astro van guy thinks. Its actually a fuel pulse dampener (er something like that). The actual fuel pressure regulator is built into the fuel pump module in the gas tank.
    Alright thanks for the info. I'm gonna change the plugs/wires along with the fuel filter this weekend see if that fixes my problem.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Has anyone else suggested this could be a "tick" and not a "ping"?? that was kinda what I was getting at when I asked the questions I did...which the OP never answered.

Not possible that it could be a bad lifter?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Maybe the ever popular LS1 "sewing machine"?

blk
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Has anyone else suggested this could be a "tick" and not a "ping"?? that was kinda what I was getting at when I asked the questions I did...which the OP never answered.

Not possible that it could be a bad lifter?
    Hmmm I'll try and get some video of the sound see if you can tell. It sounds like a ping coming from the drivers side of the motor.

Thread Information