1band1t-MS

Car making a griding noise when starting

I own a 2001 6-speed trans am and I have had it for about 3 months and I have notest that it is starting to get slower and quiter and when I tryed to start it last weekend it was like it didnt want to start un till I held the key turned then it would start. I was woundering if the clutch going out has to do with it? I love the car. I did own a 1994 firebird with a LT1 A/t but I had so much troble out of it. So I traded for the Trans am. It cost me almost all my savings but I know it was worth it. Please tell me if you know what might be wrong with it. Only after market parts on the car is a K&N air filter, Flow Master EX, I am also looking to get rid of the flowmaster and going with SLP lound mouth EX what do you guys and girls think would be better? Thanks

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I would personaly take a look at the battery first then the starter, make sure all of your connections are clean and tight.
    If its slow to crank or turn over then your str. isnt gettin the juice it needs or its gettin it and its going bad.
    I'm sure you have a local shop like chinazone or someone to check out the batt for ya.

If your gonna keep stock manifolds and y i heard the slp loudmouth is just that, loud but nice. Anything you get will be better than the flowmaster.
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess
    I would personaly take a look at the battery first then the starter, make sure all of your connections are clean and tight.
    If its slow to crank or turn over then your str. isnt gettin the juice it needs or its gettin it and its going bad.
    I'm sure you have a local shop like chinazone or someone to check out the batt for ya.

If your gonna keep stock manifolds and y i heard the slp loudmouth is just that, loud but nice. Anything you get will be better than the flowmaster.
    +1
    Except for the flowmaster part. I have a flowmaster on mine and I've always liked it. People get the loudmouth, Borla, or GMMG which are preferred and add headers down the road and the car is to loud for them. I liked the flowmaster sound from the beginning and when I went to headers and !cats the car didn't get extrememly loud. I have the cutout for that. I just think ( and it's my opinion) that the flowmaster gets a bad rap for no reason. It's a good sounding exhaust. I'm not gonna go into the HP differences between it and the others because it's negligible at best.
    Check your battery, lead wire to the starter, and the starter itself. Sounds like it's somewhere in there.
    Last edited by 0rion; 05-19-2006 at 06:46 PM.

Pewter
    1999 TA M6

Yeah that has nothing to do with your clutch even if it was going out. If it is turning over but kind of sluggish then look into the battery or starter, but if it is turning over fast then it may be another issue( not the clutch) I have the Flowmaster on my car and i love the sound of it with LTs and no cats On the other hand the 80 series that is made for the f-bodys dont flow worth a crap, i think even worse than the stock muffler. The oppisite is true about their other series mufflers though that flow very well.
    99 Trans Am M6
    SLP lid/FRA/TBB/Comp 224/224 581/581 112LSA
    Comp 918s/Comp PRs/Hedman TorkStep LTs
    Custom Y/Exhaust/Pro 5.0

1band1t-MS
    thanks for the info. will do and also thanks on the info on the flowmasters

Thread Information