BlackTA00

car doesn't start

My car was working fine all day. I got some gas, went back to my house and an hour later i tried to go to the store and my car wouldn't start. It doesn't turn over or crank or anything. It makes no noise at all. It's not the battery because my headlights, radio, and windows work. I took off the starter and took it to pep boys and they said it was fine. It was running at like 9V and it got pretty hot when the guy was testing it. It also started to smoke a little, but he said since he got a voltage reading from the starter, the car should make some kind of noise when i tried starting it. Any ideas what is wrong? I notice when i try to start my car, the security light flashes. I don't ever really pay attention to my dash so i'm not sure if it normally flashes when trying to start the car. Thanks

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

ignition switch? could be that the car will go into the acc/on position, making the radio and all that work. the starter smoking doesn't really sound good though...

Light Pewter Metalic
    01 Camaro SS

I hate when that shit happens to my 01 SS, I normally just keep my key in, turn it until it ignites, that happens to mine all the time, i personally think that it is the ignition switch

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

If your security light flashes, then your keyswitch may be having trouble reading the chip on your key. Try your other key (hopefully, you have another key set) to see if there is a difference. If not, you know the problem is not the key chip.

Another consideration is the clutch position switch if it is an M6 (although this would not cause the security light to flash, but it will prevent the starter from engaging).

BlackHawk T/A
    I agree, you may feel dumb afterwards but if it is the ignition I can see that...as it has happened to me too. I take the key out, lock/unlock the car with the buttons on the remote, and then it works.

BlackTA00
    i tried the spare key i have and it still doesn't start

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Security light still flashing? Then, it most likely is the the ignition switch. Something is causing it not to be able to read the chip in your keys.

BlackTA00
    is the ignition switch something i can replace or does pontiac have to do that? i read that people were paying $300-400 to get it replaced. i might just my car diagnosed at pontiac. does anyone know the torque specs for the starter bolts?
    Last edited by BlackTA00; 09-14-2005 at 08:25 AM.

Canes2413
    dont go to pontiac they dont do shit my lt1 had the same thing 2 things 1 if u dont wanna pay live with it and just keep turning the key a few times let it sit and then try it again after about a mintue or two my car starts i have it fixed now but my dads mechanic fixed it with some fuse from the bottom of the car that got replaced now to bad maybe 100 or so and now its fine but pontiac doesnt do shit and they charged me 300 for doing nothing (really they did nothing to fix it they said they took out the steering wheel or some bs but nothing changed

teal
    1998 z28

try the chep stuff first. try your ignition and starter relays. you can find them under your hood, in your fuse box. they are the big square ones. hope this helps.

You may have to do something other than that if it is a security issue with the cpu. Sometimes locking and unlocking the door either manually with the key or with the power switches on the doors fixes it at least temporarily. Good luck, though.

BlackTA00
    update:

I took my car to pontiac and had it diagnosed. They said my ignition lock cylinder was basically worn out and i needed a new one. They quoted me $440 for the part, labor, and new keys. Is the lock cylinder something easy that i can change out?

quicky06
    IMO no its not. its the part you put the key into. the if you dont know what your doing youll really be screwed up especially if there not a contained cylinder(never seen one of an f body)

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

sliencer

I'v got an 01 ss that i just recently bought and i have the same problem when i got to start it in the mornings and i just pull out the silencer under the drivers side dash and replug it in and it starts everytime. nice anti-theft feature

Thread Information