Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

car died on the interstate

Ok so I'm driving back from new Orleans to my house which is a 3 and a half 4 hour drive, and my car starts to lose power, my oil guage started jumping up and down, and so did my other guages....put the car in neutral and my rpms went to 0(car died) got out and immediately walked around the car to check for any unusual smells or any leaks, checked the oil and other fluids, also checked fuses and spark plug wire, belts and everything was fine.....tried to start the car, and it sputtered like it wasn't getting enough fuel, and died. Info on the car, 99 trans am and I just hit 170k miles.....I'm guessing the fuel pump has finally crapped out, or there's so much trash in the filter that its clogged up....tried to listen to see if the fuel pump would prime, but I could barely hear it if it was priming, I can usually hear it prime very good before this started....what do you guys think??? Also how much would a new pump cost????? Trying to go the cheapest way possible....since I just started a new job, and in trying to get my bills paid off first.....thanks guys.
    SLP LT's, ORY, Flowmaster Catback, MTI Clear Lid, TB bypass, LS6 Intake,PP TB, Ram Air Mod, Tune, 3:73's, Deleted Cats, Deleted EGR/AIR

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Easy to check it by screwing a fuel pressure gauge onto the rail, but it does sound that way. You can get a parts store pump, but even they are not cheap. Around here the Airtek sells for $376.99. Try GM Parts Direct (site sponsor) and you may be surprised. The GM pump for our Suburban was significantly less than any of the parts store options. When is the last time the filter was changed?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Agree with Jeff, put a gauge on the rail and you'll know right away.
    Also i got my racetronix pump and wiring harness way cheaper than that ^^^

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Yeah I priced that and several other pumps from advance auto, oriellys, and autozone....wasn't to pleased lol, also if its cheaper to go with a racetronix then ill go that route. And that little black cap on the fuel rail is where you put the pressure tester rite, well I took that off, and pushed the center of the little knob inside and a little bit of fuel came out.....isnt that line supposed to be pressurized, because it barely took anything to push that knob in.....

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Yes it is supposed to have pressure, was the car primed or shut down when you tried it. If car sat over night then you'll have less fuel in the lines then when primed to start.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Yes that is the correct location. Best way to tell is throw a gauge on it. It should show around 60 or just under.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Tried to start the car several time last night and it would turn and turn, sometimes it would turn over and sputter for a few seconds, and die. When I checked the line last night I had just tried to start the car, and sputtered and died, checked the line again with just the key in the on position and fuel barely came out.....also priced a few pumps online, and found a few some had the whole canister, and some just had the pump.....was wondering of I can just change the pump....also was wondering if an inline pump would work.....

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Inline no, The racetronix is hands down best option. I picked mine up for $160ish with their wire harness from a shop clearing overstock.

- - - Updated - - -

Inline no, The racetronix is hands down best option. I picked mine up for $160ish with their wire harness from a shop clearing overstock.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Agree. Skip the in-line and go with an in-tank replacement. I have a Racetronix pump awaiting installation on our car.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Wonder how fast I can get that pump shipped to my house or to my cousins house where the car is....I know I'm gonna have to cut a hole in the car to get to the pump now, because the only other option is to drop the rear end and then drop the tank.....gotta have my car fixed by Sunday time is of the essence and I cannot put out the $300 plus dollars to AutoZone or oriellys.....

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Have you actually checked the fuel pressure with a gauge yet? Have you replaced the fuel filter? fuel filter is very inexpensive. Do you hear the pump priming? If you don't, you need to check and make sure is receiving 12 volts. You could have an issue with power to the pump too.

It is likely that your pump has reached it's life but I will suck if you buy a new pump and it turned to be something as simple as a fuel filter change or a bad fuel pump relay.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

If decide to go with racetronix fuel pump it is fairly easy to install once you get access to the top of the tank. I had mine for 3 yrs now with no issue. I did the wiring harness as well.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

My cousin said he does t hear the pump priming the lines and the fuel filter is new, changed it about two months ago. Also I dont have access to a guage to check the pressure, but I did put the key into the on/run position, and nothing, also went to relieve the pressure from the lines and fuel barely came out, I do know that the line is supposed to be pressurized enough to shoot/spray fuel out from the relief valve....also jay did you cut the trap door out??? I have. 99 and don't know where the pump is....oh and i have a question....why can't I just install an inline pump just for the time being...the tow company got what little money I had to last me till the 2nd....

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

My cousin said he does t hear the pump priming the lines and the fuel filter is new, changed it about two months ago. Also I dont have access to a guage to check the pressure, but I did put the key into the on/run position, and nothing, also went to relieve the pressure from the lines and fuel barely came out, I do know that the line is supposed to be pressurized enough to shoot/spray fuel out from the relief valve....also jay did you cut the trap door out??? I have. 99 and don't know where the pump is....oh and i have a question....why can't I just install an inline pump just for the time being...the tow company got what little money I had to last me till the 2nd....

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

ok so the fuel filter is fairly new. you can rent the pressure gauge at some auto part stores. yes I did the trap door on my 98. I believe the location of the pump is different than my car. you also have an actual rubber fuel hose vs mine which is metal all the way. I will suggest you to drop the tank if you can. I wont recommend an inline pump because it can can you more headaches down the road. I would change it for a racetronix pump or if you want simple then buy an oem replacement pump

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Well I ordered a Delphi pump from oriellys, gonna cost %$480....my cousin said he will put it on his account at work so I just have to pay him monthly.....I was wondering of I can just replace the pump and not the whole module....and well I have a flowmaster muffler with an Slp y pipe and a cut out for exhaust....would it be better to drop the tank, I herd that I'm gonna have to drop the rearend too....gonna research more about it....oh and the tank is FULL of fuel.....

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmFanatic View Post
    Well I ordered a Delphi pump from oriellys, gonna cost %$480....my cousin said he will put it on his account at work so I just have to pay him monthly.....I was wondering of I can just replace the pump and not the whole module....and well I have a flowmaster muffler with an Slp y pipe and a cut out for exhaust....would it be better to drop the tank, I herd that I'm gonna have to drop the rearend too....gonna research more about it....oh and the tank is FULL of fuel.....
    Drop the tank is hands down the best way. If you unbolt the shocks and let the rearend droop, it's enough to get the tank out. Rear section of the exhaust needs to be removed (muffler and tailpipes) and comes off in one piece once it's removed from the I-pipe. Not really that bad of a job.

Just replacing the pump itself can be done without replacing the entire bucket/float assembly.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I agree with jones. If you can drop the tank is the best option.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Agreed, dropped the tank on mine and it wasn't that bad. I ran mine down to almost empty before i did it though, I'm sure it would've been more of a pain if it was closer to full

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Tractor Supply carries a nifty siphon hose that cost around $25. It has an end that kind of looks like the nozzle at a gas pump. You pump the handle to create suction and then simply hold it open and it runs about a gallon per minute. We siphoned the fuel out of the Suburban last week with it to change the pump.

Thread Information