Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

can't drop my 98 fuel tank!!

so I decided to install my racetronix fuel pump. After reading alot I opted to drop the tank. I removed the exhaust, panhard bar, swap bar end links, springs and bottom shock bolts. I lowered the rear end all the way to the ground as far as I can with my jack stands. The freaking 98's metal tank neck will not clear to drop the tank. I tried every single way I could and no way out. I even tried to get the pump out and I dont have clearance to get the pump out. I had to put the suspension parts back so I can get my car back in the garage. I hope I didn't mess anything putting the tank back. I wasted like 4 hrs and I acomplished nothing.

Tomorrow I'm doing the trap door. I'm not a fan of doing this but I can't get it out and if I need to get it out again I'm not going thru this again. I hope I can get the pump in tomorrow. If not then I will have to keep using the current one. I'll keep you posted as soon as I get it in.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

what exactly was the problem? You can't get the car high enough to slide the tank out?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

The problem is that I try to keep sliding the tank to the right so I can clear the neck of the hole that it goes thru. The neck keeps getting stuck in the hole and I try turning the tank pulling and every possible I can think of and the damm neck won't come out. I don't think is how high I got my car is more of been able to have clearance to move the tank to clear the neck. The neck hole is very tight too. I'm out of options. I really will like to drop it but so far is not possible.

White
    1998 Trans Am

On my "98" ... I had to unbolt the right shock, lower the rear & remove the right coil spring... Then it will slide thru... Now, I have an access hole with a plate, under the carpet !

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

man I really tried to get the tank out. I dont think that its hitting the right shock. Is alot of work to get this sucker out and I can't even get it out. I hate to cut it but I wil make sure I paint the exposed metal and put RTV silicone. I dont' know what else to do. IT NEEDS TO COME OUT LOL!
    Last edited by JayTA98; 04-16-2010 at 06:51 PM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I reviewed the steps the service manual calls for. Does this help you?
    4. Remove the fuel tank filler pocket.
    5. Raise the vehicle.
    6. Remove the fuel filler pipe shield.
    7. Remove the exhaust system from the catalytic converter back.
    8. Remove the exhaust pipe heat shield and the exhaust muffler heat shield.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

all of that stuff is done. I raised the car even more today. I got complete clearance from the rear end. the problem is that the tank hit the area where the panhard bar sits and it also hits the back of the bottom of the trunk. This makes rotating the tank almost impossible.

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

i cut mine and am happy i did........my 1st replacement pump was bad and died just over a year.......this one is 2 years in and going strong ......i cut holes in the bottom of the cup so fuel could get into the pump

White
    1998 Trans Am

The 98 is different than all other years. It doesn't even have the cup or bucket in the tank. I unbolted the right shock to let the rear come down further to remove the coil spring, & it slid right out. I thought about cutting the filler tube off & getting a clamp-on rubber coupler. It sucks that it's all one piece.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it'll come out....did you unbolt the shock and remove the spring like Bill said? It's a tight fit but it will come out. What I did was after I got it out I took a grinder and ground that opening for the filler neck back some and painted it so that if I ever have to pull it again the neck will come out much easier. It's tricky to figure out the first time you pull it but after that it's not that bad. Look at where the neck is hanging up and after you get it out grind that back a bit and put some paint on there. It'll make it easier to get back in and if you ever have to pull it again it'll be way easier.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks for all the replies guys. After 7 hrs of messing with the tank with no luck I put everything back. You guessed right I cut a trap door. I painted all the bare metal from below(while the tank was partially hanging) and above. I run out if time to pull the pump this weekend so I will try again on Monday. One thing I noticed was that I might bent the float arm just a tad or something when I tried to remove the pump with not enough clearance. I had a little trouble getting the pump back in. I didn't forced anything but it took me a few minutes to figure it out. I filled the tank up and it was at "F", but before it will go over "F". I drove the car around and the gauge droped down 1/8 of Full. Then a few seconds later it quickly went up to "F". It's like its getting stuck or something.

Oh well. I guess when I put the new pump later I will fill my spare fuel canister and drive around until I run out of gas so I can figure out how many gallons I really have after it hits "E". Thanks alot guys.

Thread Information