Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't decide on a car...

Hello everyone,

I was a member of this site about 5 years ago, and just join again.

I used to have a 98 z28 that I miss and a ninja 600r which I got in a big accident in (not my fault, guy went through a stop sign), but anyway long story short I have a itch for some kind of performance vehicle that I need to scratch.

So here is what I am looking at:
    1 - 13/14 (new or used) camaro ss 1le (trying for around 36k new 30k used, winter i would get 2nd set or rims w/ snow tires)
    2 - 08/09 pontiac g8 gt/gxp (gt for about 20k, gxp if i can find one for under 25k and manual and winter i would get 2nd set or rims w/ snow tires)
    3 - c6 corvette with a crap DD on the side (vette for 30k or under)
    4 - 02 trans am ws6 under 15k with decent DD on the side (like an ats)
    5 - try to fine a classic muscle car in decent working condition under 15k with a DD on the side also
    6 - (last and least if nothing else works out) subaru wrx (leased of 2-3yrs then find something else)

Would like another crotch-rocket but that would make a lot of people pissed off lol

I am really stuck because I like all of those cars and I would have a good time with any of them. Definitely be doing modifications eventually to all. Also, I would prefer a manual car because i miss it.

Some extra information is I am going to be 25, close to debt free and have good credit and have a pretty good job and live in NJ. My friend goes the to track every few month and I would like to start going with him. Also , my cousin's fiance drag races, so I would also like to go with him once in a while as well.

If you have an opinion of which way I should go with this, please explain why I should.

Thank you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the manual rules out the G8 Gt because I *believe* only the GXP was available in manual. Do you work on your own cars because the 02 TA is 12 years old so you can pretty much bank on having to work on it at some point. Same goes for the classic car and for 15k you're kinda in that fixer upper range or at least one that isn't restored. Not even gonna address the wrx because to me that's more of a DD versus a performance car unless you dump a shit ton of money in it. I've hated every vette I've ever ridden in or drove because they're pretty cheap looking inside and the seats are uncomfortable but at the end of the day a vette makes 'em wet. That basically leaves you with a GXP or a new Camaro. To me at least the GXP is a nicer car because it's bigger but I got kids and what not so that stuff weighs heavier for me. The trunk on that car is nice. The interiors are off the hook too. It'd all come down to what you want out of a car at that point. Camaro is a pretty sweet car so I don't think you can go wrong. You could buy the GXP and put the difference in money towards mods and be faster.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

You sound like me. I have the itch to drive just about everything at some point in my life.

Did the ta, sold and bought a g8 gt, sold and got a truck for the off road phase.

Then scratched off c5 from my bucket list which is now sitting in my garage and daily a low mile Buick which gets good mileage.

Keep an eye out on cts-v too
    Last edited by chuckie669; 01-29-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

My best advice on this is to get the car that does best the things you like about all these cars. If it's ALL about performance, the Corvette is the way to go. I'd rather get a Legacy GT Limited than a WRX if I was going to get a Subie, but you seem to already know what you're looking for. Anyway, go for that car that will not only deliver the most of what you want, but will also deliver enough that you won't wish you'd made a different choice.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

^^^Solid advice.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I love my WS6 simply because it turns heads and I get so many compliments on it. It's not great however since window motors go out, the outside noise is awful and etc. What's your budget? I'm hoping that my next car is a 02-04 Z06.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

How many miles is your WS6? I have 108k on mine and only had to replace one window motor <knocking on wood>. I get some outside (wind) noise, but compared to my '89, its luxury car quiet.

There are times where I do think about the what if's if I had purchased the '06 Goat that I was looking at, the same time I bought my WS6. I decided against it because it was "too heavy". Of course now, with the Camaro SS weighing just shy of two tons and the Mustang GT's nearly 3700 (about the same weight as the GTO), I don't know.
    Last edited by Whamhammer; 02-03-2014 at 06:04 AM.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

It has 60k miles. Really low for its year, but already my AC went out and the passenger side window motor is really weak. I'm just awaiting my headlight motor gears to go out and other common problems to show their faces haha.

Idk my outside noise may be from the tires then.. It's just really loud in the rear.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    It has 60k miles. Really low for its year, but already my AC went out and the passenger side window motor is really weak. I'm just awaiting my headlight motor gears to go out and other common problems to show their faces haha.

Idk my outside noise may be from the tires then.. It's just really loud in the rear.
    AC delete is your friend. No more troubles .
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    AC delete is your friend. No more troubles .
    This is even funnier being he is in AZ lol.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post

This is even funnier being he is in AZ lol.
    Couldn't see that on the app haha.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I've done 2 AZ summers without AC... I commute 45 miles one way. It's not comfortable, but it's not unbearable, either... YMMV...

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Do you keep the trunk stowage cover open? That makes a world of difference in noise reduction.

Black/ Silver

Headers and cam fix hearing anything besides the engine too. I call it the road noise blocking option.

To the OP though I would personally go with a Vette if there is no reason you want more than two seats in your car. Another consideration though would be a ctsv if you want more seating. They are more common than a G8 gxp and put out nice numbers.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 02-03-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post

Do the passenger window fix from Autotrix and it will solve that issue. Best damn $35 I ever spent.

I'll be frank here Komes. I don't really care for any of those choices. Me being an old fart I'd go for a classic over anything listed just for the simple fact of better return later. Unfortunately the $15k price you set won't get you much of a classic unless you are looking in the late 70's (those aren't old enough for me to consider classics though) For that price you would very likely wind up with something that needs $20-$30k sunk in it. You aren't on the best side of the country for finding a decent classic either being in Jersey, everything is going to be eaten with rust.

Any 4th gen in that price range will probably eat you up in repairs, they are 12-15 year old cars after all. But if you are young and ambitious and mechanically enclined then this may not bother you.

Personally I'd go for a new car that would be less hassle in the long run and serve you well for years without major repair bills. If that has to be a camaro for you then by all means go for it. I'm more of a fan of the new mustang myself. It's cheaper and faster, better bang for the buck. Would haul family around just as well as the camaro would (maybe better, I don't care for the low side windows in the camaros, feels like I'm in a chopped top Merc and the back seat passengers can't see squat )

Good luck with what ever you choose.

P.S. Personally, in Jersey I'd be looking at a big ass 4x4 truck after seeing the winter you guys have had on the news, lol.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

In my opinion, I'd might wait a year or two before buying something if you are sitting that much on the fence. I'm kind of in a holding pattern myself. I have an 02 WS6 that I would love to tweak, but the costs of upgrading the diff', T-56, suspension and engine might not be the best choice if the newer pony cars that are coming out soon are as good as people think that they may be and if their price range is still good, bang-for-buck. In 2015-16 we are getting a new Mustang and Camaro, they are supposed to be lighter and more powerful than the current "off-the-showroom-floor" models. If you jump the shark and get a new Camaro, and then you find the '16 is that much better, you may end up regretting it.

As far as the G8 GXP, unless you are set on its appearance, you might want to consider the new Chevy SS , its basically the same car, with a bunch more improvements.

The new WRX is nice, but a decent, used 4th gen' will still pull away on the straits from it and mods are easier and cheaper.

The C6 is a nice thought, I still think they a better looking than the C7.

As far as the classic muscle car, what they are saying is true, traditional classics are expensive now. I would almost consider finding a mid-'80s G-Body and do an engine tranny swap. They have much of the features of the old A bodies, but at a lower price. I've been dreaming about getting a Cutlass Supreme like my old '86 that I had and either putting in either an LFX 3.6 (for dd purposes) or an LS3 for fun.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Do the passenger window fix from Autotrix and it will solve that issue. Best damn $35 I ever spent.
    I had my windows fixed locally. Tech installed a replacement (apparently better than the factory) window motor on both windows and ran power to the passenger window so that it was not sharing voltage with the driver window. Seems to have fixed the problem all together (no new switches or anything). It was a fairly recent fix, so I can't say how great it is yet. But it seems to be working.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I wonder if op will come back

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

yeahhhh there's no way i'm going through summer in phoenix without any A/C It's bad enough I have t-tops window and black interior / leather.

I didn't get a trunk stowage cover when I got the car. The only thing I can remember playing with was trying to get a wire into a rubber grommet in the rear back for an E-cutout, but I never did it, so I basically cut that hole for nothing. It's tiny but it's there. Will that make a difference?

I did the motor fix on my drivers side a few years ago. It's a pretty awesome alternative for sure

Headers and Cam sounds like my type of option! If I could afford it.

Thread Information