stevealan

Can K&N filter oil mess up MAF sensor

My son cleaned his K&N filter 1 week ago on his 99 T/A WS6. He called me tonight and his car started acting up. When I checked the air filter it was saturated w/oil. First will this mess the MAF? Second if so is there a way to clean the MAF w/out having to buy new one?

Histotoxic
    Yes too much oil can cause problems due to it getting on the MAF sensor. The way I clean mine is that I electrical contact cleaner that you can buy at most auto parts stores. Be careful not to break the little wires on the MAF. In order to use that K&N you need to clean it out again and apply the oil sparingly. If your trying to get the entire thing red that is too much.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

This is common.....folks think if a little oil is good then a bunch will be great....oil per the instructions....lightly...just enough to turn the material a light pink...then let it sit overnight...I wrap mine in newspapers and rubber bands to absorb the excess........no big deal on getting the excess off the MAF wires...as pointed out above...I use the electrical cleaner from Radio Shack...many use good old fashion brake cleaner....spray it liberally on the MAF sensors...and let then air dry real good....your good to go.......and tell that son of yours to go easy on the oil

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Yep, go easy on that oil. Just dab the excess oil off of the filter. Make sure you don't see any droplets anywhere. Like Sarge said above, you want just enough oil to see the color in the fibers, but not see liquid. And it's easy to clean the MAF sensors with electrical cleaner, just make sure you get a cleaner that leaves no residue (some cleaners leave a light film "protectant").

NBM
    98 Trans Am convertible

GM actually posted a service bulletin about this it stated. when a vehicle comes in with a mass air code to look check for "an excessively oil aftermarket a/f " and if found not to warrant the maf sensor.

Thread Information