white
    2000 chevy camaro

Camaro wiring issues

I have a 1998 z28 and bought a 2000 z28 engine with harness. I put it into my 1998 and my guages were not compatible. To fix that problem i had the 2000 z28 car harness and i dropped the dash and installed it. So i fixed the guages. instead of using the whole engine wiring harness i just jumped my 2000 pcm into the 1998 engine harness. I got lazy and didnt want to change the whole harness in the engine compartment so i went that route. But now my camaro will not start at all. The lights all work the horn the fuel pump comes on and its sending spark from my column to the starter. when i try to start it i only hear a click in the engine compartment. I have a new battery installed and i dont think it is the vats either. So my question is do i have to change the whole engine harness to my 2000 harness to make my car work or what options do i have if any. It is kinda confusing i know. If been working this project for a while. My car was starting before i changed out the whole car harness to fix the guage problem. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks tim
    Last edited by ortiztimothy; 07-02-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

All pre-04' LS1's should have the same basic engine harness. You should have only need to drop the engine in and reused the 98 window harness. Only thing you should have had to swap is the knock sensor wire harness. The one that goes from the engine harness to the plugs. In 99' they swapped over to a different harness.

Now if you took a dash cluster from a different yr then yes you would have had to repin or change the cluster harness to work into a 98'

I may be wrong but others will correct me here is I'm not entirely right.

white
    2000 chevy camaro

I have all the guage cluster figured out i just dont now if i should have to change out the engine compartment wiring. The one that has all the engine fuses. It is still part of the 1998 harness.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I'm going to say that if you do change that out you'll need a new PCM. 98's are different then the 99-00' and 01-02's

Thread Information