94 Z28

Camaro 1" lower on drivers side than Pass side

Ok, so I noticed my Camaro seemed to be "leaning" a little when parked on a flat surface so I measured from the ground to the top of the wheel well on all 4 corners of the car and the drivers side of the car is about 1 inch lower than the passenger side???

Here are the measurements:

Drivers side Front 27 1/2" - Passenger side Front 28 3/4"

Driver side Rear 27 1/4 - Passenger side Rear 28 1/4"

Is this a spring and shock issue? (still has stockers on @ 130k miles)

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I noticed the same thing when I was washing my car yesterday.

Hose nozzle fit between the tire and fender on the rear passenger's side but not on the rear driver's side. So I do a double take and look at both sides, drivers side is definitely lower.

As for the reason, I don't know. Perhaps the springs settling from having the weight of the driver on one side all the time.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Y'all have the "Wingman Edition".

The suspensions were tuned for the guys who must, from time to time, take one for the team. See, these cars were built with the BBW in mind. You gents are now in the know, and must make use of this special ability bestowed on you by GM.

:j/k: I believe it does have to do with the weight of a driver w/ no passenger on a regular basis.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Time to change the shocks struts and springs. They are not to unless you go with lowering springs. Take the fronts out and to a shop and pay them to change the shocks and springs. they can do it in only a few minutes. When I changed my shocks I actually had a bent strut on the front passenger side.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Wink

Pull the front up on a set of ramps, re-measure the front L & R and write it down.
    Now go under the car and disconnect both swaybar end links.
    Re-measure the front L & R again, and write it down.
    If the car is level now, or very close to it your problem is either the swaybar or endlinks.
    If it's not then you've elimated the swaybar assembly as the problem.

FYI, I had the same problem before with the drivers front sitting lower, and I found out the swaybar was bent!

You guys need to cut out the twinkies

94 Z28

The swaybar bracket on the drivers side of the car is a little tweeked. That's proably the culprit.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I don't know what the deal with my car is.

I have brand new sway bars, brackets, bushings, and end links front and rear. Brand new tires as well. Front struts were replaced with Bilsteins, rear shocks were replaced with Bilsteins as well. Perhaps I have a bad coil isolator in the rear, I'll have to look next time I have it off the ground.

94 Z28

So I ordered a UMI swaybar and picked up a new bracket from the stealership. I put the swaybar on last Saturday. I removed the old sway bar and bracket without any issues put the new bracket on with no problems then I got to installing the new sway bar.

When I got to the point where I had the sway bar in place and I was assembling the end links the bolt that came with the kit seemed like it was just a little too short. If I put all the bushings and the spacers in the correct position there was not enough bolt left to put the nut on the end of the bolt.

I have an aftermarket K-member and LCAs so I figured this was the issue. It was pretty late at night so I didn't want to make a run to the store to buy a longer bolt so I decided to try and compress the end link enough to get space to add the nut on the end. I will spare you the details but in the end it took a floor jack, a 2X4, and a pick axe handle to compress the end link bushings enough to get the nut on the end.

When I was done the end link bushings were not too compressed and the sway bar wasn't touching anything so I declared myself the victor of a long hard battle and promptly drank myself silly.

I got home today and in the mail was a small package from UMI. I opened it up and two of the metal spacers that go in the middle of a sway bar end link were inside along with a letter explaining that I was sent the wrong spacers. The ones I had been sent were too long by a 1/2 inch. So what I had thought was something to do with my aftermarket LCAS and K-member was actually a screw up by UMI.

On one hand I'm happy they sent me the correct part and an apology but on the other hand I am pretty pissed that I received the wrong part in the first place.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by hix5000 View Post
    and promptly drank myself silly

Did it fix your lean?

94 Z28

It improved it a lot. The front is 1/2" lower on drivers side and the back is 1/4" lower on driver side. I have some new shocks and springs that I will put on next week that I hope will get it even closer.

Thread Information