Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Cam/pulley install question

What up LS1's. This may be a stupid question BUT as long as I lined up the dots on the crank and cam gears/sprockets, does it matter that the crank is turning over some during the harmonic balancer install???? As long as the dots lined up prior to the pulley install, that's the important thing even if the crank is turned over a couple of times I'm thinking.........any clarification would be appreciated.......

1994 Z28

you can do it 2 ways dot to dot or both installed at 12 o' clock. but yes as long as its bolted up your fine man

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by meangreen94z View Post
    you can do it 2 ways dot to dot or both installed at 12 o' clock. but yes as long as its bolted up your fine man
    Nice. Thanks for the reply. Just one less thing to worry about!!! Have a good X-mas.

1994 Z28

no prob man, be SURE you use a new bolt too, my used and locktited bolt came out going down the road due to my lack of LS1 knowledge back when i did the install in my car haha i was too used to LT1s

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

no prob man, be SURE you use a new bolt too, my used and locktited bolt came out going down the road due to my lack of LS1 knowledge back when i did the install in my car haha i was too used to LT1s
    Wow....that sounds scary man!!! It came out AS you were driving??? Good thing this didn't happen while you were going 80 down the freeway......

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

OK ORION!! Where you at my brotha!! Anything to add to this info/question??? You know I'm always patiently waiting on your expertise!

1994 Z28

i got on it on the way back from a test drive in 2nd and let off at about 5k rpm and didnt upshift and i guess it was just too much for it haha...

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

i got on it on the way back from a test drive in 2nd and let off at about 5k rpm and didnt upshift and i guess it was just too much for it haha...
    lol......

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

As long as you have the cam gear bolt down, lined up directly with your crank gear dot... It doesnt matter if the pulley turns. This is mine, should look like it. Again, if the cam gear is bolted down, lined up dot to dot, the crank pulley can turn all it wants on install.

370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    As long as you have the cam gear bolt down, lined up directly with your crank gear dot... It doesnt matter if the pulley turns. This is mine, should look like it. Again, if the cam gear is bolted down, lined up dot to dot, the crank pulley can turn all it wants on install.

Click for full size
    Great!!! Thanks Hi-Po. Appreciate it. Dude, these installs can be a pain when it's your first time!!! I swear without LS1.com/howto and adjacent websites I would be totally lost.........

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep, as long as it's dot to dot your good to go. Have you already got your pulley back on?

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yep, as long as it's dot to dot your good to go. Have you already got your pulley back on?
    Oh, how nice to hear from you ORION!!! I knew you would come through for me.......Now to answer your Q.....No! The pulley sure is difficult to seat.....In fact it doesn't work to just get it on the crank ENOUGH to start threading the bolt.....It has to be pushed all the way onto the Crank fully in order to screw in the pulley bolt.....so I'm going to attempt to get this done today.(I rented a balancer installer from Auto Zone).... Additionally I read threads were many gus just heat up their pulley/balancer for 30 minutes and it slips right on.....Negative! This didn't work for me.........

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

i feel your pain dude. i installed an underdrive fluid harmonic balancer and it was a total PITA to get on. i don't know the right way to install it, but i got out the dead knock mallet and went to town. lucky for me, i had just removed my sway bar the weekend prior. hopefully someone here can give us some advice as to proper installation so we all don't go around beating parts on our cars like i did.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by joedude02 View Post
    i feel your pain dude. i installed an underdrive fluid harmonic balancer and it was a total PITA to get on. i don't know the right way to install it, but i got out the dead knock mallet and went to town. lucky for me, i had just removed my sway bar the weekend prior. hopefully someone here can give us some advice as to proper installation so we all don't go around beating parts on our cars like i did.
    Right!!! Your on point there joedude....I mean there's so many little things one must know BEFORE taking on a project. I've certainly learned much over the past several weeks. Now, concerning the Balancer install, supposedly it is fairly straight forward with an install tool. So, now I'm going to start this challenge!lol I'll let everyone know how it went a couple hours from now. Thanks for the post......

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Harmonic Balancer Pulley Installer

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I bought a length of metric all thread and cut a piece off about 18" long then I used 3 bolts and a bunch of washers to push the pulley on. You use 2 of the nuts on the end so you can hold the all thread and the nuts act like a jam stop then start adding washers and push the pulley with the 3rd nut. I heated mine in the oven and it went right on with no issues. Good luck.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

I bought a length of metric all thread and cut a piece off about 18" long then I used 3 bolts and a bunch of washers to push the pulley on. You use 2 of the nuts on the end so you can hold the all thread and the nuts act like a jam stop then start adding washers and push the pulley with the 3rd nut. I heated mine in the oven and it went right on with no issues. Good luck.
    Thanks. As always, appreciate the support. Have a good rest of your weekend.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

This is by far the best way to do it. You do not risk stripping the crank threads with this method either like you do by using a pulley bolt......

Thread Information