Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Black
    Trans am

cam details for installing

a friend said you will install the cam swap and springs for $400 for 2 days. he's a professional will this be good. the cam is a 228R cam for Daily Driving and with a tune.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Hard to decipher your message, but I am interpreting it as whether or not we feel $400 is a good price to pay your friend to swap in a different cam for you. Is this correct? How is it being tuned? A DYNO tune alone is near that price.

For your reference, here's what is involved with the swap: LS1Howto.com

98 Formula
    06 duramax

is that just a cam install or is he doing springs/pushrods too? $400 probably isn't a bad deal if he's doing everything. I wouldn't pay it but I do my own work so it all sounds expensive to me. I'm looking at time involved for cam, springs, and pushrods and $400 doesn't sound like a terrible price to me.

Black
    Trans am

$400.00 for cam, springs, and pushrods and rear suspension. so about $600 for the cam kit
    $600 cam
    $400 installing
    $450 Tune or is frost tune good for cam and bolt on's

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Glad to see ls1howto.com back up and running. Fairly certain we were having to use the 'way back' machine for that site just a few weeks ago.

400 dollars to install the camshaft, springs and pushrods isn't a bad deal I guess. The springs alone can break a first timers back if using the the compressed air method and not piston ATDC method.

If you don't have the skills or time to install and the friend is competent I would say go for it.

Tune - The 228R cam is a common camshaft and I'm positive Frost/Steve has tuned many a setups with that camshaft. Your best bet would be to email him or private message him and ask if he felt an email tune would suffice. Probably would recommend a dyno tune though. If you own HP Tuners, wideban O2 sensor and he has the spare time you could do email tuning and I'm positive he could nail the tune. He did email tuning with me a few years ago and the car ran great with a crap driver (me).

Good luck.

Black
    Trans am

my A/F is currenlty reading 17.5 on idle without the cam. i think a dnyo tune is best

Black
    Trans am

i brought the 228R cam

i brought a 228R cam Monday and im going to install it the 17th. my car is a DD and hoping everything goes right and cant wait for the cam sound

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Congrats! Are you tuning it yourself?

Black
    Trans am

I getting it tune by justin in GCMW in fort Myers, Florida. i try tuning it myself with a SLP tuner but wasnt enought before the cam mods.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

I have the TSP 228R, love it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

have fun at the traffic lights with no stall........

Black
    Trans am

it recommened a 1800 - 2200 stall on a 228R cam im flashing my from stock 1500 to 1800 on the dyno tune, and yes that true see it done with 10 ls1 cars over here.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

ok....enjoy. I'm done trying to convince you because you already know it all.....and yet don't know anything yet. You're gonna have to learn the hard way. It has absolutely nothing to do with where it flashes too.

Black
    Trans am

my firend has the same cam its fine, i know

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

I bought one also. Hasn't come in yet. Texas Speed is being slow. Luckily I have an M6.

Ooooof! That cam without a stall? Have fun with that. Car is going to be a slug until 40 mph, not to mention power brakes are going to suck at low vacuum levels without the stall, you'll be creeping. Really not that fun to drive them that way. I hope you at least ordered that cam with about a 116 lsa, that would at least make it livable without a stall.

If I were that tuner, I wouldn't even bother tuning something like that until it's setup properly.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ooooof! That cam without a stall? Have fun with that. Car is going to be a slug until 40 mph, not to mention power brakes are going to suck at low vacuum levels without the stall, you'll be creeping. Really not that fun to drive them that way. I hope you at least ordered that cam with about a 116 lsa, that would at least make it livable without a stall.

If I were that tuner, I wouldn't even bother tuning something like that until it's setup properly.
    but his friend does it and he can flash the stock converter to 1500-1800 He's been told multiple times but he's one of those guys that has to learn it the hard way. The car will run and he will be able to drive it but what a pain in the ass that's gonna be and like you said.....less than ideal set up to tune. You see those guys here every once in a while. They half ass it but eventually they figure out they should've listened the first time.

Oh I see, this must be something that has been talked about for a while already

He'll find out at the next stop light that a stall without a cam is going to be quicker than a cam and no stall.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-13-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Black
    Trans am

i install a 228R cam.

i install a 228R cam, its untune badly i have LT headers, 3' ORY Pipe with a Flowmaster Super 10. i have no cats. my car is a little to loud for my area i live in. can cats make the car more quiet.?

Mystic Teal Metallic:320c
    1998 Camaro Z/28

they should but changing out the muffler would prob do alot more reduction on noise i too have lts ory and am about to install a 228r but idc about how loud it is...im running a hooker catback and it is relatively quiet unless you want to make noise.

Thread Information