autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

a/c stops blowing after a while

ok,in the summer(obviously) while driving with the a/c on the amount of air blowing out of the vents slows down,if the a/c blower knob is set on 1 or 2 after about 20 mins of driving there will be hardly any air coming from the vents,but if the knob is set on 3 or 4 the air coming out of the vents stays constant.i have already replaced the blower motor and the condition remains,also i have noticed the under the hood the accumulator has a layer of ice on it.i know ford a/c systems have a cycling switch,does gm's systems have that?any suggestions?
    Last edited by 02transamce; 08-23-2009 at 10:36 AM.

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

same thing i noticed in my newly acquired 98 t/a, i believe, IMO, that the AC freezes up. I simply turn the switch from AC to just fan and within a few minutes it cools right down and the air starts blowing again! Once the air warms up I switch it back to AC again. Kinda a pain but i at least know now how to keep the car cool especially with the t-tops... it can make your cheeks stick to the leather seats. My brother said the same thing for his 2005 r/t charger. He complained to the dealer and they told him theres nothing they can do! He also just lives with it. Like me, this only happens when it is really hot out, which kinda makes sense. this is my 2cents, someone correct me if iam wrong, hope that helps

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

i do the same exact thing when it starts to slow down blowing air,definately a pain in the azz.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

bump

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

freezing evap coil usually means low freon . you should have a low pressure switch. if the accumulator has ice on it the evap coil is probably frozen also.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

I never run the a/c in the car during the summer, plus I forget I am used to this desert heat to lol, 140 during the day and if we are lucky 100 at night lol. Thats why when I was home on leave I was wearing long sleeve shirts and everybody thought I was crazy cause it was 90 outside. I was actually kinda chilly lol. But then again humid heat and dry heat are def a big difference, I know from experience lol.

SOM
    2002 WS6

your ac system is low on freon and your coil is freezing up as stated above.I have experianced this in the past.
    Go get a couple cans of freon with a guage and add it to your system.

Red
    2001 Z28

These cars don't have a pressure cycling switch or an expansion valve like some other cars, they use a pressure sensor to monitor the high and low sides. The computer controls the compressor clutch using the sensor. Too low on 134a the computer cuts the clutch, it also delays it on start up and cuts it during WOT. Oh and yea like has been said you want to see condensation not ice. Frost= low charge.

Thread Information