Thread: A/C questions

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

A/C questions

Hi everyone, so here is my issue. my a/c compressor was making noise for a while and it finally took a dump. I ordered a brand new compressor, evaporator bottle, orifice valve and condensator. I went to my buddys shop since he lets me use his tools. i recovered the R 134 with his machine. I remove the orifice valve and it was completely clogged up with metal. I replaced the compressor. I flushed all the lines real good with thinner and air until everything came out clean. I replaced all the o-rings with new ones. I put everything back together and performed a vaccum for an hour.

I then turn the car on, turn the a/c on (settings on high) and then started to fill the system with new freon again. I got the gauge readings to 40psi on the low side and about 250psi on the high side. I live in Florida and my mechanic told me those numbers are about right with the current temperatures. The car cools great when is moving specially on the highway but if you sit at idle for a while it doesn't cool off too much like it used to. i checked with a thermometer and the temperature at the vents is about 63 degrees, it could fluctuate to 66 at idle. If I put a very strong fan in front of the car to get more fresh air the temperature at the vent drop to 61. The radiator fans seem to be working good and the car is not overheating. I did pressure wash the radiator core to clean all the debris. If I spray water in the condensator while the car is running the temperature at the vent drops 5-7 degrees. It almost looks like the condensator is getting too hot and the fans can't keep it cool.

The compressor was replaced with a new one since our readings were way lower than the ones i posted. I pulled the orifice valve and it was clogged with metal again. I bought a brand new condensator to get rid of that issue and install it. Everything was cleaned, vaccumed and recharged again. The system was recharged with a new bottle of freon in case it was contaminated. The results improved a little but are still close to the ones posted.

So I was thinking of maybe adding a fan to the condensator to aid with cooling. Is there a small fan that can fit there? Do I have to wire it with the radiator fans or can it be hard wired so it's on all the time while the car is running? Is there anything else i might be missing? Thanks.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Not sure of the fan question but I have to ask while it was all apart have you changed the inline filter? There should be one just prior to it going into the HVAC. Also did you flush the system to get rid of all the metal shavings? If you still are getting shavings clogging the compressor then the whole system needs flushed.

When my ac died on my 96' Firebird I had the same similar stuff happen. I was on my 2nd compressor within 2 days when I figured out that the inline filter failed and all of the metal shavings had blown through. In the end I had to replace the compressor, filter, dryer, condenser, and both hoses. Reason why was because there was no way to get all of the metal shavings out of the system. I had a shop flushed the core out and after all the parts installed I went back and had them vacuum the moisture out and fill the system.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

You may have a problem with the climate control system and the blendoor unit. I thought they were all electronic but this may be a vacuum operated unit.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I have to correct myself. i didn't replace the evaporator. I replaced the accumulator, condenser, compressor and orifice valve (the inline fliter). Scott I did flush the lines that go to the compressor, condenser and accumulator. I replaced the inline filter. The old inline filter was clogged up bad with metal shavings. What i didn't do is flush the evaporator lines. I did a vaccum everytime I opened a line. I tried again today to work on it but no luck. I got it back to cool off better but not good enough. I'm going to stop by my other mechanic on Tuesday. He works on these cars before and he told me it could either be overcharged with oil and the evaporator side needs to be flush. I'm hoping is too much oil on the evaporator. My 1st mechanic told me that you don't need to flush the evaporator side unless the inline filter is broken. Which it kinda makes sense. I checked the inline filter today and it had a very few small shavings but nothing major like before. I drove back on the highway and the temp in the vent drops to 54 degrees. It feels good. As soon as i stop at a red light you can start feeling is not cooling enough.

I'm wondering if the fans are not turning on at the correct time or they are weak. I have never had any doubts with this 1st mechanic. I always used him before and he never failed me or did my car wrong. He just don't have alot of time now to really troubleshoot it. I had used the 2nd mechanic before and he is good as well. He is more available than the other. If I have to buy the compressor again I will be out of luck because I can't afford it. I have a feeling the system has too much oil in it or the fans are not working right.

I wish i could just empty the freon and flush the evaporator side but I don't want to get caught. I guess I will just wait until Tuesday. At least the a/c cools enough so i will be okay for now.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Well i think i figure out what might be the issue. Me dumbass didn't read the bag were the new compressor came in. It says that it comes prefilled with 7oz of PAG 46 oil. I added 6oz of PAG 46 oil when i installed it... There is about 13oz of oil in the system... I talked to two A/C techs and they told me it could very well be the problem because the system has way too much oil. I'm going to see if I can go tomorrow disconnect everything and flush everything out. I hope this is it. I'm flushing the evaporator as well.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

They should be able to pull it out. Hope it fixes it for you. I know that part of FL needs A/C even in the winter...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

well pull everything apart and flushed everything even the evaporator. I ended up buying a new accumulator because it was soo saturated with oil. I pulled out at least 6-8 oz of oil from the parts only. I put everything back, vaccum it and recharge it, It cools alot better the temps at the vents were 55 degrees and sometimes even lower. It looks like its working good now.

I have to check the amount of freaon i put in it because I think the evaporator froze up on the way back to the house since I noticed the airflow was declining even with the blower set at high.

Thread Information