Thread: A/C problem

blue
    2000 camaro

A/C problem

What up ls1. The old A/C doesn't get cold anymore, any thoughts on how much it's going to hit the pockets just so I can expect a price when I take it to the shop. Oh yeah if it matters, is a 2000 SS camaro.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Does the compressor cycle when you trun it on? You can pick up recharge cans with pressure guages pretty cheap at the parts stores, might just be low on refrigerant.

blue
    2000 camaro

Not sure on what u mean by cycle, but tge heater works and the A/c comes on just no cold air. Knobs turn and everything seems to be in working order just no cold air. And this sounds good something I can do myself, and purchase at the store.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Sounds like you may have a leak. The seals in the lines dry out over time and allow the refrigerant to escape. If you know how to handle refrigerant and are certified then you can replace the seals(O-rings) yourself. Otherwise, you can take the car to a shop and have a mechanic replace the seals and recharge the system.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by ss2000 View Post
    Not sure on what u mean by cycle, but tge heater works and the A/c comes on just no cold air. Knobs turn and everything seems to be in working order just no cold air. And this sounds good something I can do myself, and purchase at the store.
    You have an a/c compressor under the hood.

When you turn on the a/c you should notice the clutch engage on the compressor. With a low charge it may come on and go off or not spin at all. Could also indicate a larger problem, but that's where the pressure guage comes in. Follow the instructions on the recharge bottle for recharging and the guage will show if the compressor is working and if the pressure of the refrigerant is where it should be.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

If you are gonna DIY it, becareful. You can overcharge the system and cause major damage.
    At my shop, we charge about $150 to recharge and add tracer dye. We then have the owner come back in about 200 to 500 miles to recheck for a leak using a black light to see the dye.

blue
    2000 camaro

Ahhhhhhhhh f**k! Ok so I bought the refill can the guage was at 0 and slowy went to twenty and stop, so I kept filling it up and the ac did get cold but the guage level was still a litlle low. So guess what I did kept filling her up something exploded, well let me use a better word popped like a ballon and I heard all the coolant release now it won't hold. What did I just do. It sounded expensive.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Probably blew a seal or a hose. WHich side did you add r134a to? It must be added to the low presure side. Adding it to the high pressure side is dangerous.. It would have been better to take it to a qualified tech so that the system could be vaccumed and charged.. It may now cost more to fix the damage done than it would have cost to do it right the first time.. Sorry but you prolly know the addage "pay now or pay a lot more later".. Sorry for your luck man.. Just an FYI the chemical used to charge your AC can/will blind you instantly if it gets sprayed directly into your eyes... Just my .02
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-25-2010 at 09:01 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by ss2000 View Post
    Ahhhhhhhhh f**k! Ok so I bought the refill can the guage was at 0 and slowy went to twenty and stop, so I kept filling it up and the ac did get cold but the guage level was still a litlle low. So guess what I did kept filling her up something exploded, well let me use a better word popped like a ballon and I heard all the coolant release now it won't hold. What did I just do. It sounded expensive.
    I warned yah I've seen this too many times

blue
    2000 camaro

Red face

Well thanks for the help you guys. Guess where I'm going wednesday, to the shop. Hey cutlass how much you think I'm in for.I think that 30 dollar can pumped me up. You live and you learn I guess.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You might pay like $75 to $150 to have it diagnosed and an estimate for repairs. If you do repair it, some or all of that cost should get rolled into the repair. Any time an AC system needs a replacement of a major component (Compressor, Condenser, Evaporator core, etc) expect to pay $1000 or more.

Thread Information