Thread: A/C blows hot

Red
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk

Exclamation A/C blows hot

For the past few months my A/C has blown hot and I just decided to take a look at it. I started by re-charging it. That didn't work. The clutch is engaging the compressor. The fuses/relays look fine. I don't see any leaks. When I turn the A/C on I do now notice that the compressor is making a somewhat loud almost grinding/clicking noise. Just noticed this noise since I recharged it (might just be coincidence). Any ideas where to go from here? I don't want to replace compressor if I don't need to.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

My 98 had some leaks that I discovered last year when it started blowing warmish. Recharged it and it only lasted a few days. Car has 183,xxx on it so I ended up replacing almost everything as you can't go without AC here in the PHX.

Well you could but I won't...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The only way you can lose refrigerant is through a leak.. Whether it's a fitting, bad compressor, line, etc. If the compressor is bad, it may not be pumping properly. You can take it to a reputable shop so they can add dye to the system and locate any leaks. And/or, determine whether the pump is bad or not.
    Generally speaking, if the pump is making noises that it never made before it could be the pump is shot or dieing..
    When refrigerant levels fall to a sertain point the clutch will stop working and the pump won't run..

Seperately,, Not only can it be dangerous to over fill the system, it can have damaging effects on the pump..
    Since most R134a contains pump lube, Ima have to say the pump is prolly gone..
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-02-2011 at 02:10 AM.

Red
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk

Where is the pump located? Is it part of the compressor?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 00hawk109 View Post
    Where is the pump located? Is it part of the compressor?
    They are the same thing.. Just two different words, sorry..
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-02-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Red
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk

ok cool thanks for the info!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    The only way you can lose refrigerant is through a leak.. Whether it's a fitting, bad compressor, line, etc. If the compressor is bad, it may not be pumping properly. You can take it to a reputable shop so they can add dye to the system and locate any leaks. And/or, determine whether the pump is bad or not.
    Generally speaking, if the pump is making noises that it never made before it could be the pump is shot or dieing..
    When refrigerant levels fall to a sertain point the clutch will stop working and the pump won't run..

Seperately,, Not only can it be dangerous to over fill the system, it can have damaging effects on the pump..
    Since most R134a contains pump lube, Ima have to say the pump is prolly gone..

^^this.

black
    02 ss camaro

You need to put a set of pressure gauges on the lines and read the pressures. As I understand from the first post,refridgerant was added but didn't fix the problem.

A clogged orifice tube,inop cooling fans or a bad compressor can all cause poor a/c performance

Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

also could be over charged.. it then will also act like its low on freon... really need to check the pressure with a good set of gauges...

Thread Information