Hok: CrimsonRed/Tangerine
    99 Hardtop

Burning oil under hard acceleration/deceleration

My Vette is smoking out of the exhaust pipes under hard acceleration and certainly right after I let off of the accelerator and please note that it smells like burning oil (hence I am guessing there is a little oil getting burnt). I do not see smoke during normal driving, only when I really get on it and when I do, it is not a lot of smoke, but I can see a translucent cloud in my mirrors. Since I did not install afterburners, I believe there is an issue here.

My Vette was not doing this before, but yesterday was the first day that I had the opportunity to really lay into it after my engine mods I did this last winter. I have a FAST intake and the d@mn thing whistles so I recently took off the throttle body to see if there was anything I could trim up that might fix that whistle problem. I noticed that on the inside floor of the intake there was a fine sheen of oil. I know that in the LS1, this seems to be a normal condition but one I thought I should comment about none the less.

What I am hoping right now is that there is a component like the PCV valve or some such thing that may be suspect and hoping that it is not a valve stem seal, and praying it is not a broken piston ring. The engine has 68k on it and has never been raced. The heads are 2004 vintage and I cleaned up the ports and put on Comp Cams beehive springs as well as new valve stem seals so I would like to hope the issue is not internal to the engine.

The smoke is very faint so I am not sure of the actual color, but I can smell burnt oil. I pulled the dipstick, and the oil looks like oil, not the frothy whitish you get when water is in it. I have yet to pull the plugs and see if any one cylinder shows oil fowling.

So does anyone have any ideas? Codes I should be looking for? I really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks everyone, -blake

99 Hardtop: 243 LS6 heads, LG Pro long tube headers & 3” pipes, FAST intake, Comp Cams XR275HR w/ 1.75 ratio rocker arms, & custom tune. HoK paint Crimson Red base w/ Tangerine color coat.

SOM
    2002 SS

Has the short block been rebuilt? This is very common with Low tension rings or even forged pistons until they are very hot. Valve seals are what I would be looking at unfortunately. If they were replaced perhaps you should look at the geometry of the roller rockers and check pushrod lengths etc. If the geometry isn't right it can cause side loading of the valve and the valve seals will be out of shape before you know it.

Drive the car until it is nice and hot without going wot. Let it sit for 15 minutes and then have someone restart the car with you standing behind the exhaust. if you see a puff of smoke its your valve seals.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Probably your valve seals While its not a very difficult fix, it can be kinda time consuming and it REALLY helps to have the right tools.

I will be changing valve seals here shortly for this same reason. I plan on taking some pictures of the install as it can be used for "How to replace valve springs" also. LS1howto also has a nice write up. Your looking at 20 bucks in seals, some labor(from yourself) and the cost of the neat tool Speed Inc sells (120 bucks). I just bought one.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

White
    1998 Trans Am

It very well could be the breather system... Pull the MAF off, then open the TB to look inside the intake with a light to see if it's flooded with oil. If so, you might want to add an oil catch can or something. Where in MD are you ? Close to Mason Dixon track ?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    It very well could be the breather system... Pull the MAF off, then open the TB to look inside the intake with a light to see if it's flooded with oil. If so, you might want to add an oil catch can or something. Where in MD are you ? Close to Mason Dixon track ?
    Yep, this is also a possiblity. I also went this route and added a catch can/LS6 valley, and !PCV

White
    1998 Trans Am

I went old school on mine. Exhaust evac system. Nothing hooked up to the intake or TB... Each valve cover port runs to a angled check valve on the exhaust, and it vacuums the block ! No oil, & no blow by !!!

White
    1998 Trans Am

Here's a link to what I used. If you run mufflers, you must go behind them, or in front of the cut-outs...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Summi...4506.m20.l1116

Thread Information