brand new brake rotor worn.....

I just put new rotors and pads on my wife's 2001 firebird last weekend. Today I looked at it and the rear driver side wheel is covered in brake dust and the rotor already has major grooves in it, but only the outside. The inboard side of the rotor looks good. The other three rotors are all smooth and "new" looking. I removed the tire, caliper, and rotor again to make sure everything was installed right. I did find the rubber part of the brake hose was twisted, but not kinked. It didn't appear to be enough to restrict flow. Anyways, I straightened out the brake hose and put it all back together. I thought maybe the caliper is sticking, but wouldn't it eat up both sides of the rotor and not just the outside? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Ryan.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

one of the pins is stuck,take it apart and use anti sieze on the pins so the entire caliper can float.the reason the inside is ok is because the caliper piston is moving properly,the outside is worn because the entire caliper can't move on the pins.when ever you pull these caliper off always pull the pins,clean um and lube um.

Thanks. I have heard of this before. Anyone have a "how to" on pulling and cleaning the pins?

I'm sure there is a "how to" somewhere,,,but if you take it apart you'll figure it out. It's easy. Once the caliper is off there are 2 more bolts to remove the caliper bracket. This bracket is where the pins are located, actually these pins are where the caliper bolts were threaded into.
    If the pins are free and movable,,,it should have taken a wrench to hold the pins still (from turning) while the caliper bolts were being removed.
    If you have a frozen pin,,,sometimes applying a little heat while twisting it back and forth will free it up. Just be carefull not to cook the rubber cup/seal.
    Pull it out and clean it thuroughly, both the pin and it's bore. Lube it and reinstall.

Also while it's apart, inspect the rubber cup/boot for the pin and make sure it doesn't have any splits or pin holes that will allow water to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I'm sure there is a "how to" somewhere,,,but if you take it apart you'll figure it out. It's easy. Once the caliper is off there are 2 more bolts to remove the caliper bracket. This bracket is where the pins are located, actually these pins are where the caliper bolts were threaded into.
    If the pins are free and movable,,,it should have taken a wrench to hold the pins still (from turning) while the caliper bolts were being removed.
    If you have a frozen pin,,,sometimes applying a little heat while twisting it back and forth will free it up. Just be carefull not to cook the rubber cup/seal.
    Pull it out and clean it thuroughly, both the pin and it's bore. Lube it and reinstall.
    both of them turned while putting the caliper bolts back in. Do the caliper pins screw out or just slide out? Thanks for the info......

Not a problem. They just slide in and out. Hope that helps. Larry.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

just to let you know when you reinstall everything you should be able to turn the rotor by hand,if you can't something is binding.i always apply the brake pedal a few times before reinstalling the wheel then try turning the rotor.if it turns with my hand its ok,if i need to use a small bar etc to turn it i start looking for problems.if you don't do this you get what you have now FAILURE to COMMUNICATE! and this is the way hes wants it,you gotta get your mind right luke.

Thread Information