Thread: Braking.....

red
    99 camaro ss

Braking.....

I have a 99 camaro ss... I been having problems with the brake system...the paddle goes in..have to pump it to stop..I change the brakes front and read.,,bleed them and its the same.. What could it be.. Maybe the master cylinder ...??

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Flush and bleed. Then, bleed again. Your fluid may have given up. When is the last time you flushed? During the process of this, you should replace the brass washers that fit between the brake lines and the calipers. They are crush washers, and you can get them at any auto parts store. CHeck the lines themselves, have a friend hold the pedal down, and inspect the lines for bulging. These are simple steps to check before you run out and buy a new master.

red
    99 camaro ss

I never flush the brake system.. That might be it huh...ill gonna do all that b4 anything.. Thanks !!

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Buy a Mity Vac. Learn how to use it. It is an awesome tool. Should be able to get it at any auto parts store.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You may have a hose ballooning too. It is a 13 year old car and replacing the brake hoses may be a good idea. Our car had terrible brakes, especially when I hit the top of the track. I would get one good push on the pedal, and after that it was monster brake fade. I replaced the rotors, pads and hoses and that tightened up the brakes considerably. I have zero fade now and good pedal feel. The hoses were swapped out for DOT approved braided stainless pieces from Russell.

red
    99 camaro ss

Yeah my friends was telling me about the vac too...I hope it works out...thanks for the help

red
    99 camaro ss

My car I wired...one day I was driving to work and the car started to shake I thought it was the road...after I just got off the fwy and I felt the car was braking on its own got to work and after work I drove home and nothing..days later the paddle was really loose so then I just change the brakes on all 4 corners bleed them and this morning was the same... I ask the guy on the smog station if he had any idea wat it was he said I'd felt like I had air in the system....

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like you had a caliper hang up or something. The caliper pins on our brakes require regular service. They should be pulled, cleaned and lubricated with synthetic caliper grease.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Flush and bleed. Then, bleed again. Your fluid may have given up. When is the last time you flushed? During the process of this, you should replace the brass washers that fit between the brake lines and the calipers. They are crush washers, and you can get them at any auto parts store. CHeck the lines themselves, have a friend hold the pedal down, and inspect the lines for bulging. These are simple steps to check before you run out and buy a new master.

Brake fluid doesn't give up, trust me on that. It will lose it's ability to fight corrosion and absorb water, but it will still work fine as a transfer of force. Yes brake fluid by it's nature absorbs water, so the H2O doesn't rust the steel components from the inside. Ever seen a corroded brake caliper piston? So flushes are recomended every 2-3 years, Aisin and European cars say to do it in the owner's manual. As for the copper crush washers, no need to change those unless they are leaking or you are changing a hose/caliper.

Good advice about checking the hoses for swelling under pressure, tho! Probably be a good idea for the person checking for the swelling to have some safety glasses on, a face full of brake fluid is not a good thing lol.

However, sounds like OP does have a master cylinder failure, if there are no external leaks visible. You should bench bleed the new master cylinder before installation, that way you won't put air all thruout the system. There may be instructions with the new MC, but you can research it on the web I'm sure.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I was going to say master cylinder as well.

Thread Information