Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brakes?

Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

brakes?

What setups are best for replacement? I need rotors and pads of course... I priced stock replacements and I'm lookin at around $800 for everything... But I mas as well go w drilled and slotted rotors.. Anyone have a good lead on decently priced brake kits? Or do I just have to bite the bullet?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Shop our sponsors for drilled & slotted

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

For performance drilled and slotted only weakens the rotor and provides less surface area for the pad to contact the rotor.
    It is about $140 for 4 new pads and about $120 each for new rotors. Less than your $800 unless you are looking to do a swap like wesman did.
    Last edited by c5z28; 11-16-2009 at 10:47 AM.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    For performance drilled and slotted only weakens the rotor and provides less surface area for the pad to contact the rotor.
    only slightly less surface area to grasp... but it doesn't weaken the rotor... the slots/holes allow for trapped gas to escape providing more reliable braking and less brake fade...

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    only slightly less surface area to grasp... but it doesn't weaken the rotor... the slots/holes allow for trapped gas to escape providing more reliable braking and less brake fade...
    Pads use a different material these days that don't create the gas the holes were initially made for.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/suspen...brake-faq.html

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Exactly, pads used now dont have near the downfalls of older pads. Many people have problems with drilled/slotted rotors getting hairline cracks. Others have no problems. I would personally shy away from drilled/slotted and get a good pad.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I would go with dimpled and slotted personally. I have ran them and had no issues as the structural integrity is still there. No fade from what I felt. Power slot makes the rotors and a good set of ceramic pads will do you nice. Bite the bullet and pay for the setup in my honest opinion. You want good brakes

White
    '02 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    I would go with dimpled and slotted personally. I have ran them and had no issues as the structural integrity is still there. No fade from what I felt. Power slot makes the rotors and a good set of ceramic pads will do you nice. Bite the bullet and pay for the setup in my honest opinion. You want good brakes
    Power Slots are good rotors but the downside is the hum or whine they make, especially when stopping. I tried EBC USR rotors this time on my Silverado and they fit the bill, quiet. I'm using Hawk Performance ceramic pads.
    Last time with power slots I got 50K miles before needing a change out. Now I'm old school, been working on my cars for about 40 years so I think that is .
    Honestly though I think the rotors are overkill. A good set of blanks and better quality pads should do you well.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by SSnow View Post
    Honestly though I think the rotors are overkill. A good set of blanks and better quality pads should do you well.
    My thoughts exactly
    I went Raybestos on all 4 rotors & both sets of pads in July for less than $300 shipped from rockauto. Also got $26 back in rebates.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

My Carquest rotors were $31 a piece and and AZ ceramic pads were $65 for front's. I was going to a more expensive rotor but the counter guy at Carquest said he has NEVER had a set come back. 5k and all good so far and I love how clean my wheels stay with ceramic pads......

Unless you race I don't think stuff like Brembo rotors and Hawk pads are worth the extra $$$$.

red
    2000 Z28

Cheap drilled rotors on a street car can have problems because the frequent heating/cooling cycles can cause stress cracks. On a road racing/autox car, the brakes stay hot and may not get stress cracks. High quality drilled rotors (Baer, Brembo and others) with the drill holes chamfered shouldn't exhibit stress cracks. In any case, modern pads like Hawk HP's, EBC Red's, and their racing big brothers don't require drilled brakes for heat dissipation.

Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

Sooooo... Everyone's sayin that drilled and slotted rotors aren't worth a damn? And ceramic pads are the sheezy? Even w blank rotors? I need to get my brakes non squeaky before snow flies so I can spend my spring money on a new texas speed exhaust note and a tune... Thanks for all the input folks.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

ceramic pads are for stock like sound and performance, if you want more bight look into hawk pads or carbotech.

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

I work on brakes day in and day out and the best pads that I have found lately are the new NAPA Adaptive one pads. They are awesome, and they are warranted against almost everything including noise. Check them out, I have yet to have a problem with them.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I have Baer Eradispeed rotors, coupled to Hawk HPS pads, and Russell SS braided brake hoses on my 01 Z28, and there is quiet a difference in the stopping power over the stock brake setup.

SteveC

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    ceramic pads are for stock like sound and performance, if you want more bight look into hawk pads or carbotech.
    I agree and had Hawk HPS before but IMO if you are not tracking the car ceramics are more than adequate. And the Hawks, ATE etc.. performance pads are dustier and harder on the rotors. It is all in what you are using the car for.....

New pad technology has rendered drilled/slotted rotors nothing more than an appearance mod. The only real benefit is a slight weight savings......

Steve C, I put SS lines on my Lt F-body and they made a HUGE difference in the brake feel. I loved it will do it to this one sometime in the future

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    see that would drive me crazy..i would need the back rotors converted also.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    if i'm not mistaken you'll need 17" or larger rims for that... if not i'm going to go for it!!!

Thread Information